Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Bilateral knees

@Dep

I am always anxious , if there's nothing to worry about I wonder why there isn't lol
Seeing him at 1.30pm so we can compare notes later
My left is stiffer and more sore too !

Kind wishes to you and thanks
 
@Jane66 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your three threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

You also contact other members by tagging them, not by starting a new thread. You can also talk to them about their recovery on their own thread.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.


Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?
Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
Please will you do that?
 
Just read your 2 year review, wow it's really inspirational. Totally increased my optimism about my own future once these 2 are healed.
Thank you. That's why I did it (of course), to pay forward the help I had here, and to give hope to others following. It really works!
 
Hi There

There times, I don't feel that I need it more than that. There is no heat of swelling after my recumbent bike which I'm on for 10 mins and then a 10 min walk in the afternoon.

From around 7pm the heating starts, it feels like the worst sunburn I've ever had ! Stops me sleeping until the wee small hours which is really getting me down
You need to ice for 45-60 minutes each time, and as many times during the day as you can.

As long as you protect your skin, there is no harm done if you ice your knees all night long.
Please re- read this article: Ice to control pain and swelling
 
I had bilateral knee replacement on September 29 I can relate about the hot legs at night They feel like they are on fire I’m glad to hear others experience the same thing
 
@JGlow

Nice to hear from you

How are things now ?

I saw my surgeon today for 6 week review, he said that symptom is very common as the layers underneath the wound heal. As with supporters here he suggested icing, topical gel or lignocaine patches as an aid.

Kind wishes
 
I walked outside a couple of days ago and now my legs are so stiff My PT said we may have walked too far I walk a lot in the house Most of the time my pain level is mild . Yleft leg seems weaker than my right but I have been told sometimes they heal differently I love this forum ! Very helpful and informative
 
@Jane66 Hi Jane,
I had both knees replaced on 17th August I still get some discomfort in the evenings but find a hot shower helps and always do this before bed as well as in the mornings, I was sleeping very badly so my GP suggested i re-start Codeine phosphate I took that for about three nights and got a better pattern back and now just take 2 paracetamol when I go to bed and, whilst I wake up a few times, I'm sleeping much better, I've just started driving again which is great Still rather off balance and need one stick outside and am unsteady at times indoors but feel better each day It is a slow road but as long as you are improving....
 
@Rosy G

Thanks for getting in touch and good to hear from you, you are about a month in front of me in recovery

Thanks for the tip about a hot shower I will definitely try that tomorrow night, I also heard that melatonin works so I'm trying that too catch more than 3hours of zz's.

Keep in touch

Kind thoughts
 
@Jane66,
Thanks for thinking about me, I appreciate it. I think I’m doing well, I’ll see my OS on Thursday for my 3 month follow up. I still have a scab on the infected stitch, I think it likes me and doesn’t want to fall off! Lol! I had trouble sleeping in bed after this 2nd knee for some reason, and ended up sleeping on the recliner for almost a month and a half. Till my back started to hurt, so moved back to the bed.
I still don’t like doing squats, my pt said I need to do them to strengthen my quads. I have a cardio exercise machine that I love to work out on. Some days my knees feel great, then other days one or the other will have some pain. But it’s way better after surgery then before surgery! So hang in there.

How are you doing tonight? I see you are in Scotland? I’ve never been there, but would love to someday. Have you been to the US?
 
Ive had a bit of a bad day as had PT yesterday. She is very lovely but thought I'd manage 13 stairs up and down. I was so proud of myself but last nights swelling and tightness was majorly horrendous and hasn't really eased off despite icing etc all day

Still really struggling with sleeping, legs aren't happy in bed and midnight is a major alert for the brain, I keep trying to find the off switch.

Looks as if you are doing better having read through threads. Well done.

Scotland is very beautiful, its rainy though. No unfortunately I haven't been to the US, but would love to see once knees have improved.

What time is it where you are ?
 
@Jane66 You might have to back off on the stairs, if they set you back. If I had more pain and swelling after a PT session, I’d tell the PT that I don’t want to do whatever exercise I felt set me back. They were very good about not having to do it again. With my 1st knee replacement, I iced and elevated a lot longer then I did with the 2nd knee. It felt tight and swollen a lot longer. I think I iced on the Bregg machine all night long for the first 6 months. I’d have to look back through my recovery thread to be sure though. I am ready to put 2020 behind me. I am so over COVID19! Bring on 2021
 
Ditto !

Going to try and get a few zzz's if possible now.

It was lovely to chat

Kind wishes
 
@Jane66 Hope you are sleeping better now Jane I only started sleeping better about two weeks ago- so week 9 after bilateral TKR- but feel relieved that sleep now seems easier Still have discomfort when first in bed but just need hot shower and two panadol so that's oK Felt quite upset some nights but that seems to have disappeared now! Still working on leg with weaker muscles but balance is improving Am walking for an hour plus each day- does make knees hurt afterwards bu hot shower seems to help It's not the knees but the muscles tightening I think keep in touch
 
@Rosy G .

Hi, thanks for messaging me.

Still having problems with sleep I am afraid, doc have me a weeks prescription for zopiclone, trying not use on consecutive nights but I know I will sleep for more than 3 hours when I do have one

Going through a bit of the tears and mood swings ( I know I'm not alone in that one, what with the pandemic and I recently found out I'm being made redundant )

Glad you are recovering well and yes please keep in touch.
 
Going through a bit of the tears and mood swings ( I know I'm not alone in that one, what with the pandemic and I recently found out I'm being made redundant )
Oh Jane66, I am so sorry to read this. Being made redundant is horrid in the best of time. But now with a pandemic and you in recovery - well it's just the pits! So many businesses struggling through this whole situation.

I do hope you can prioritise your recovery and focus on getting back to living. Once you are back to full energy and activity I am sure you will sort the job issue.
 
Thanks Jacey

Really kind of you to message me, thank you.

Roll 2021 being a better year for us all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom