Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Bilateral Hip slow progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bilateral hip recovery question

Hi,

^ weeks tomorrow. Im so incredibly happy to be off the 90 degree restrictions, that was very tough for me. I now have no pain but lots of stiffness in one leg only. PT helps.. You will be fine!

Good luck!!!
 
Re: Bilateral hip recovery question

So happy I found you folks. Dec. 22 is my day to find out whether it's going to be one hip or both :what: Every single thread I've read has helped me feel confident that I will survive my future as a "hip chick":yes 4: In the mean time I'll keep reading and learning, God Bless all of you
 
Re: Bilateral hip recovery question

Rue, welcome to BoneSmart! You will do more than survive... you will thrive with you bionic hip (or hips)! :thumb:

Knowledge is power, so do keep reading but would you also like to start a thread and tell us more about yourself?
 
Re: Bilateral hip recovery question

Hi, Rue.....welcome to the forum. Why don't you start a thread of your own and tell us more about yourself. We love getting to know our members!
 
Hi
Hi had bilateral posterior approach on sept 27th. One leg is as good as new the other is still really stiff, really stiff! My knee hurts from compensating for my weakness in this one leg. Is that normal? Also , I have bad feet and greatly over pronate on my weaker side, could this inhibit my recovery process? My incisions are also still lumpy and I still can't sleep on my sides. Is that normal? I am going to Costa Rica in 3 weeks with my husband and two boys. I thought that I would be perfect by this time and I am hoping I won't be a total drag to all!
 
I take my hat off to folk who have a bilateral. I needed both hips doing but could only contemplate having one at a time. I'm not even sure that surgeons offer bilaterals in the UK.

I wonder if your surgeon had any problems with your second hip? You would tend to think that both sides would be similar in the healing process but maybe not.

Whatever, you are not even 8 weeks out yet, so it is still early days. I'm sure it will all settle down in time and the vacation in Costa Rica will help the process. Just don't try to be a hero (heroine) and do too much - the family will understand, I'm sure.

Relax and enjoy.

Good luck.
 
9 weeks out is still early days, laurilf, so don't start fretting yet. Roger is correct in that no two hips are the same, even when they are attached to the same patient!

Your scar is still very new so unlikely that you will be able to sleep on it any time soon, knees do object to having to pick up the slack for painful and poorly functioning hips and foot problems are very likely to hamper your recovery. All perfectly normal.

12 weeks was probably a bit ambitious to be off on a holiday. It would have been better to have left it for at least another month. More probably. I think you should plan on doing little or nothing and having a wheelchair at the airports to avoid too much walking.
I'm not even sure that surgeons offer bilaterals in the UK.
WHAAAAAAT? Let me tell you that back in 1975 I worked with a surgeon who did bilats at least once a week and sometimes thrice! He did three sessions a fortnight, regular session Tuesday pm and alternate Friday pm. Each of those 3½hr sessions we would do either two unilaterals and a bilateral or two bilaterals and thought nothing of it. There are heaps of surgeons who do bilats like they were churning out sausages! When I was working in Sunderland Royal 2000-2006, we also did lots of bilats (hips and knees) and thought nothing of having one every day, three or four at the weekend sessions.

On the other hand, there are also heaps of surgeons who won't do them at all - mostly because they are too much like hard work! :wink1:
 
Lauri, I have merged three of your pre-op threads together. Can you please keep posts about your recovery in this thread from now on? It helps me, and others, to see what's gone before.

And could you also be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
 

WHAAAAAAT? Let me tell you that back in 1975 I worked with a surgeon who did bilats at least once a week and sometimes thrice! He did three sessions a fortnight, regular session Tuesday pm and alternate Friday pm. Each of those 3½hr sessions we would do either two unilaterals and a bilateral or two bilaterals and thought nothing of it. There are heaps of surgeons who do bilats like they were churning out sausages! When I was working in Sunderland Royal 2000-2006, we also did lots of bilats (hips and knees) and thought nothing of having one every day, three or four at the weekend sessions.

On the other hand, there are also heaps of surgeons who won't do them at all - mostly because they are too much like hard work! :wink1:

Ooops - I stand corrected. :blush:

The reason I came to this (incorrect) conclusion is that I have not seen any UK bilat patients reporting on this Forum. However, since I've only been a member myself for 8 weeks or so, maybe that was not a very statistically safe conclusion. :wink1:
 
You could say that - I couldn't possibly comment! :wink1:
 
Hi all,

So I am almost three months from my Bilateral Total Hip replacement and I am still limping because of tightness and both my knees often hurt. Is this unusual? Anyone else have these issues???

thanks,

Lauri
 
Hi Lauri, have you had any physio post op? Some of the stiffness is muscles that must now work in different ways. Strengthening and stretching does help.

Sore knees are also common at this stage. I know it seems like a long time but at just shy of 3 months it is still early days. Are you taking anything for the pain? Just something over the counter might ease this and help you get more mobile.
 
Hi Lauril, glad you checked back in. This is just my opinion, but I had a bad time with my knees after my THR and found Glucosamine & Chondroitin to work wonders. Strangely, it did nothing for my hips, but after only a few days I saw a big differnence with my knees and it didn't return unil I got off it again this summer.

At first I used generic, then Osteo Bi-flex, but now I buy whatever is on sale. Nothing to lose by trying it and my GP is ok with it too. Hope you have the same result...
 
to the right of my groin in my right leg so that I can't fully straighten both legs together and at my incision areas in both legs.

thanks for asking!
 
Is the pain on the outside of your right leg?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom