Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Bilateral Hip slow progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lauril, how are you doing now? I had a bilateral replacement on 29 Nov and joined the forum yesterday . Are you feeling less pain now? I hope so. And how's the waddle?! I laughed when I read that as its exactly how I felt, not so bad now but still can't imagine being without the crutches.I'VE decided to give everything a go to try to recover as quickly as possible, the 1st thing I did was to have a hypnotherapy session for pain control a few days before the op and that seems to have helped although of course I don't know what I would have been like without it. Next thing, Ive been taking homoepathic remedies for control of bruising and healing. Again, I don't have much bruising and the op wounds are healing well but again I don't know what I would have been feeling without the remedies. Lastly I have a ReikI healer coming to the house for 1st time on Saturday. As I said I've decided to throw everything I can into getting well and I'm working on the basis that it can't do any harm and may do some good. Hope to hear from you, best wishes, Tylie
 
Hi Tylie,

I really do not know any simultaneous bilats either. The 90 degree thing was torture for me but the time goes rather fast and the doctor said I wouldn't break that easily, the dangerous move is a twist with a bend over 90 degrees.

My biggest problem now is that one leg is healing much slower and is much stiffer than the other so I still have a strong limp. I think patience is they key!

Lauri
 
As a very new bilat I too am finding the 90 degree rule ( though in my case it's 70 degrees) quite difficult to manage - it's so hard to find a comfortable position to sit in to eat, read, do a crossword puzzle, work at the computer! Also I'm having to be hyper aware of not twisting/torqueing my waist/hips. I can get in and out of bed, in and out of car, in and out of shower OK but the subtle things .... a lot to pay attention to.

I also am struggling with the heel to butt slides and the leg slides out sideways - these poor old muscles were misused for so long it's going to take a long time to get them back in shape -

But I've been told ..... over and over and over - patience and persistence and practice will pay off in the long run :rolleyespink:

It's great to hear from others going through similar situations - my PT admitted that I am only the 2nd bilateral THR she has worked with in her 20 year career
 
Yes I am afraid lots of patience is the prescription. It will come Deb. Just keep at it.

Lauri - I assume you are still using some kind of aid to help you walk (walker, cane, crutch)? Until that limp is gone don't hesitate to use that help. It's all about getting those muscles working right again.

Hang in there you two. You are doing great!
 
How do I know if I have femoral nerve damage and if so, is there a non-operative cure? I am three months in and I have a lot of pain in my right thigh along the femoral nerve.


any help is greatly appreciated.

L
 
You need to see a neurologist who should send you for an electromyography test (EMG) to know for sure. Mostly the treatment is patience. Nerves take an awfully long time to resolve issues from trauma. They heal very, very slowly indeed.
 
I am just past three moths and I am getting so frustrated! My left hip is doing very well but my right hip is doing very poorly. I have femur pain when going up and down stairs, sometimes I del like my knee will buckle. I can't tell if I need more stretching and strengthening or rest. I take one advil and two tylenol three times a day which helps but as soon as it wears off, that pain comes right back. I also cannot sleep on either side because after ten minutes deep pain sets in. Am I just over sensitive? Should I worry about this pain in my femur area?

Help!

Lauri
 
Lauri, I had bilats done over 6 months ago, and have had some of the same symptoms you have. My right leg is much weaker than my left, it has less range of motion and I have pain down the outside part of my femur to my knee and sometimes feel that weakness you spoke of that makes me think my knee will give out. It also have really bad lower back pain. It started at about 3 months post op, and I went back to PT, and it has improved a lot. I'm told it is my IT band, and some hip bursitis. I think it is quite common to have these complications and they will get much better with time. I'm told it takes a year to completely recover. As far as my hips go, they give me very little pain, and if my back didn't hurt I would be in great shape! Give yourself time. On the bright side, I have really good range of motion, even with the right leg, which is not as good as the left. I If you are not doing PT, I would suggest you start again, and I think stretching is good for the IT band. I hope this helps and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Mary Jane
 
Lauri....I agree. You need to give yourself some more time. It is quite normal for your hips to heal at different speeds.
 
hello Lauri, just to let you know that since I've become more active I've started to notice a difference between my two hips as well,particularly going up stairs. Not massive, if I had only had the left one done I would probably think it was doing ok but I have the right one to compare with and its brilliant so the left one's got a lot to live up to! I think that's just the way of things though and I'm sure that as everyone has said, its just a matter of time .All the best, Tylie
 
Bilateral total hip, Sept 27th

Hi All,

I just had X-rays at HSS in new York and my surgeon told me that I have that I have a slight leg length discrepancy and I also have a rather prominent Anterior tilt where I cannot bring my butt in! I have otherwise rehabilitated very well, I can do almost anything but run. I have an extremely tight hip flexor on my longer leg and my longer leg is weaker.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to return my butt and my gait to normal????


Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Lauri
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral Hip slow progress!

​
 
You can't, it's a mod thing! You need to post in this thread all the time about your recovery though you are welcome to post in other people's threads so long as you keep your own story here.
 
Hi Lauri!

Do you know exactly how much leg length discrepancy you have? Do you use a shoe lift?

The tightness in your hip flexors is the cause of your anterior tilt. Have you been given any exercises to stretch those muscles?
 
i cant remember the amount of discrepancy, the doc said use two inserts for 8 weeks then one for 8 weeks. Not much help there! I have tried everything for my hip flexor, nothing has worked so far.
 
Does your surgeon agree that you have tried everything possible for your hip flexors and nothing further can be done? Have you consulted with a physical therapist or chiropractor to see if they agree with that assessment?

You asked for suggestions to improve your anterior tilt and gait. It's hard to help without more details about what specifically you have tried, how often you tried it, and for how long. It can take many weeks or months of persistent effort to stretch chronically tight muscles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom