Guest viewing is limited

THR Bilateral changed to Single

@Barbaraj ....quick questions, cuz I going back to bed.....Lol.. Did your walker have front wheels ? I don't seem to have a problem standing up straight with the walker. When I told PT that I had a walker at home, but it didn't have wheels like the one they had me use, they ordered on for me to take home. I feel secure and steady with it, so for me, as of now, it is working out.....
 
@Lea61 The bed sounds perfect! I basically recreated the recliner in our bed. Wedges and pillows everywhere did the trick. Having a button to press for adjustments is much better :)

I think I'll have a touch couple of weeks when I am overlapping, but we'll see. My OS wanted me on a cane or walking poles as he felt it would really promote healing. I started the poles yesterday morning, and then today was my second day with them. I am walking more normally than on crutches. I fell asleep in my recliner late after noon yesterday for a couple of hours, and I could easily go to sleep now! Lots of healing going on!

Good idea on setting up the date now so you have it. I think you will be just fine to have #2 it at 12 weeks.

Get some sleep:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
@Layla @Jaycey @Mojo333 ... I am a little worried. I don’t want to say that I didn’t follow the rules (becuz I do Know them all) but I think I did some stupid things already ( not even home 12 hours) so here it goes .... I sat in the kitchen on kitchen chair with a 4 inch pad . I definitely sat too long and didn’t have my leg elevated for quite some time( I was sending out replies on BoneSmart LoL) . I also was delayed in my 50 mg of tramodol and had taken the 1000 of Tylenol mid afternoon. When I got up, the pain and tightness was unreal. I could barely take any steps and trying to lift unoperated leg to go over a low ridge at the bottom of a dog gate was so difficult. I really got scared because it was intense. I do feel much better now that I am back in bed, but slight movement of my leg hurts. I took 50 tramsdol at 9 pm before I left my kitchen (which was 2 hrs ago). I am icing now too. I’m just scared that my sitting so long without elevating caused harm to my hip. I’m afraid to move now. Should I take another tramodol? (I know I can go up to 100mg) Sorry to sound so desperate but I am so concerned. And please don’t put me into that club !! It’s too soon to be joining it !!
 
Please don't worry. You'll be fine. I rarely elevated my leg more than just laying flat on the recliner with a pillow underneath my feet, probably only 1/2 the time. If you missed your meds, just get back on schedule right away. You are going to have some pain and swelling. Just continue to ice as often as you can. Josephine recommends no less than 30-40 minutes each session. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down. Fell asleep each night with an ice pack also. You found it difficult to lift your leg because you're experiencing "log leg" it will slowly go away but you're only two days post op so what you're experiencing is normal. Just try to relax, you're going to be fine, really you are. Get some sleep if you're able and let us know how you're doing in the morning.
Hugs :console2:
 
@Layla .... thank you so much for your quick reply. I am resting comfortably but have some groin pain. My leg was not being elevated at all. It was down on the floor as I sat in a chair. Still think it is ok. I’m so sorry if I sound obsessive
 
Please, no worries about asking questions.
I think you'll be fine. Elevate in bed, or recliner, or whatever you're sleeping in / on.
Take your meds on schedule and ice. You'll be okay.
Ice whatever areas hurt. Groin, incision, knee etc. If it hurts, you can ice it.
You are going to have some pain in different areas for a bit.
Hope you can get some sleep :yawn: :sleep:
@Lea61
 
Ok Thank you ... thank you ....
:scare: I’m going to set alarm to take pain meds. I don’t want to miss a dose and my luck, tonite will be the night I sleep more than my usual 2 hrs.
:) :-) (:
@Layla
 
I was searching the library and other posts, to learn about “log leg” but thought I would just pose the question instead. I wanted to know what does the “log leg” feel like ? Earlier I sat in a chair for an extended period with my feet on the floor. When I got up, I had a lot of discomfort. I had taken 50 mg tramadol and went back to bed with an ice pack. When I tried to get up to walk to the bathroom about two hours later, I was in terrible pain. The walk back to the bed was even worse. A 9.5. Don’t think I ever felt anything like it. I cried and starting sweating and thought I would never make it. I even had my husband sliding my leg ahead becuz I couldn’t put weight on it and really used that walker for support. I figure it is a combo of things that includes the level of pain meds that helped me the last two days is not enough to do it now (??). I am waiting for my next dose of tramadol and will take 100 this time. @Layla mentioned log leg and I was wondering what that feels like. I had a weird feeling in my groin and hip area. I want to say a click or a shifting feeling (??) minus the sound of a click. And putting my foot down on the floor flat also had a weird sensation in addition to not being able to put any weight on it at all. Back in bed, icing and slightly elevating, I seem to feel much better now while resting. Any suggestions ??
:scare:
 
It's so early on...you have got to keep the pain managed and don't need to anymore walking than necessary to go to bathroom or short walk from one place to the other.
Very early days where you need to be icing and keeping leg up!
Don't worry...it's just angry I'm guessing!
Are you taking anything with the Tramadol?
Important to keep ahead of that pain.
You just had alot of trauma done to your leg and it must not have liked the change in positions after sitting up like that.
The Log leg people refer to really is a weird disconnect that makes it seems like your leg doesn't listen and move where you tell it to workout manually moving it.
Or that's how I describe it.
All temporary...take meds and roll with it right now.
Healing hugs...:console2:
 
Thank you @Mojo333 ... I will follow your suggestions. I haven't been up to walk again yet, but a little anxious about it when I do ( I'll wait for hubby to wake). I set alarm and took 100 of tramodol and will take 1000 Tylenol in 2 hrs. I am basically on that and 1x Mobic to be taken in the AM . I am icing too. In your opinion, do you Think that is enough ? I guess I'll also see what happens when I try again to walk?
I had such a good first two days post surgery, that the pain I felt was totally unexpected. So many people describe post surgery pain as not the same as their pre-op pain and although this pain was "different" it was 100% worse than anything I ever felt.
 
I'm so sorry it frightened you.
Medicine wise, That regimen is what Jo suggests I believe...as I have no medical expertise...
You can always tag her to check.
Keep that Ice on all you can.
I'm guessing you are using a walker too?
I would try to move my legs around, slowly and wiggle feet to keep things slightly more loosened up...but things will still tighten up on you.
First days can just be a real pain!

It will get better :friends:
 
Ok. Thanks for the encouragement. I am icing and doing the ankle pumps frequently. I also have the leg pump which stays on 20 hrs a day ( but I guess that is really for clot issues ) if I know it is a temporary set back, that will help, but it would really nice if I don’t have to repeat the severity of the last experience that put me into a crying sweaty mess.
@Mojo333
 
I am sorry you had that experience. Your body is kind of in shock mode, you know.

Do use walker to help you along...
All temporary...sending healing hugs!:console2:
 
Good Morning,
I hope you got some sleep overnight. If you continue to feel that the meds you were prescribed
aren't touching the pain, consider calling the office of your OS to see if they will adjust your medication.
Pain that's causing you to cry and break out in a sweat doesn't seem like effective pain control.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines thoroughly. If you're unable to absorb the info right now due to a foggy brain, see if hubby will read the info so he has a better understanding of what you should and shouldn't be doing.
I hope today is a better day :)
@Lea61
 
Hi @Layla .... I did sleep, woke to take the 100 tramadol at 3am. Then slept again. I don’t mind sleeping on and off, as long as I can get 3-4 hours of straight sleep, which I think I came close to. . This morning, I stood with the walker taking only a couple of steps in the room. Weight bearing hurts a lot and this time I had a pain that went down side of leg to the knee. I also get a weird sensation (weight bearing) on the bottom of my foot...almost feels like I was standing on a soft mat that gives a little. ????
Nurse came, he didn’t make me get up; He told me to take tramadol a little before having to get up and not waste it by setting alarm in middle of the night. I still plan on keeping to the schedule and will set the alarm (you agree with that, right?). PT is coming in a little while and I have no intention of doing anything more than stand and do a few steps in the room, if he feels he needs to evaluate. I don’t plan on doing anything else (you agree with that too?)
I can’t tell you how grateful I am to you and @Mojo333 for reaching out to me. It was the middle of the night for me, but being able to write to you and have you talk me down before I went into a total panic (I have had panic disorder, which has been under control for a long time now, but there is always a fear that something will trigger a return) . So I am so very grateful for the support you offer :console2:
 
@Layla ... I will read the Recovery Guidelines again with hubby. I had printed them prior to surgery, so I wouldn’t have to search for them. Ty
 
Well, I'm happy to hear you were able to sleep. Three-Four hours straight is a good chunk of time. That's awesome! I'd take the meds exactly as prescribed upon discharge. And again, if you feel they aren't keeping up with the pain, don't hesitate to call the office of your OS and speak to a member of his care team about adjusting your medication.

In regard to PT the paragraph below (The Big Tip) from the Recovery Guidelines says it all -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

At the very least, read the article below so you can use it as a gauge for activity. You don't need to be doing anything more than taking a five minute walk every couple of hours and that can usually be accomplished with a trip to the bathroom and a few circles around the living room. You get the idea...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

No worries about feeling the need to be talked off the ledge. We get it! We've all been there and Recovery can be an anxious time with its pain an uncertainty. Lights never go out here, there is usually always someone around to offer advice, support or encouragement.

Get lots of rest today, use ice frequently and drink lots of water. You'll be surprised at the difference even a week will make.

Take Care :console2:
@Lea61
 
Back
Top Bottom