Guest viewing is limited

THR Bilateral changed to Single

Hi @Bionic ... I was a bit disappointed finding out that only one hip was done. It was a nice thought that All would have been over with. Even though I am doing well, it's hard to think how it would have been with both. So everthing happens for a reason.
My pain is definitely under control. It almost makes me think that I don't need so much of the pain meds, but I have learned from everyone's experiences not to be fooled by that, so I am keeping to the schedule! Today, my OS said that I am also still feeling the effects of the numbing agent he injected during surgery which will be wearing off now, so I may be in store for some additional discomfort. I am only taking 50 mg of tramodol every 8 hrs right now, but I can go to 100 mg if needed.
I am a little anxious about getting into the car to go home. My ride will also be around an hour, minus the "bendy roads" ! Lol. We won't be dealing with rush hour traffic leaving the city, but we Are supposed to get remnants of the hurricane that hit Florida. Just rain and nothing too major but it will still make things a little more difficult. They gave me a walker, raised toilet seat, and leg pump machine to take home, so we have to get all of that out of here too (And Me) !!
But it's nice knowing I will be going home. Maybe I'll be able to sleep !
You are almost 3 months out. How are you feeling ? Would you feel ready to do your other hip if you had to? My OS wants to wait 3 months.
Thanks for your support and encouragement .....
 
I am a little anxious about getting into the car to go home.
Have physio show you how to do this. It's very easy when you know how. Safe journey home.
 
Hi @Barbaraj .... How are you feeling? Not over doing it, I hope ! I will have to go to your thread to see what you have been up to! Lol ... When I get home !
I'm doing well and keeping up with scheduled pain meds. I am still lacking sleep but hopeful that will change once I am home. I will have a lot to catch up.
Thanks for all your words of support ... Well received and appreciated :console2:
 
Hope you are doing well....I gave DH a fit on ride home..."hey, you want to turn around...you missed that bump?"
Was a little nerve-wracking but home is definitely better for getting some rest!
Healing hippy:yes!:
 
I was a little anxious about getting into and out of the car also.
Couldn't imagine how I could with a big gash in my leg! :heehee:
It was truly a non event. Hubs placed a large garbage bag on the seat which made it easy to swivel forward (facing dash) after I sat down. Easy Peasy!

You'll definitly rest better at home without all the noise and interruptions. Bring an ice pack for the ride home.
I'll bet you do great.
Safe travels!
@Lea61
 
Good Morning @Lea61 sleep is an elusive thing in the early days. I couldn’t sleep in our bed for weeks, but found the recliner worked. You will figure out what works by trial and error.
Dose up on the meds for the trip home.
No place like home, with the your pup and family around you. The animal’s sure know when something is up!
Hope there weren’t any “from the recliner comments from hubs”!
 
@Lea61
Yes its nearly 13 weeks for me and I am doing fine, well the hip is, but my knee is playing up :-( From the point of view of the hip though I think I could do another op now. I am really pleased with the way the first one has gone and have learnt such a lot of what to do and not to do.
Hopefully you will do as well as I have so mark that calendar for the next one.
 
@Lea61 Re the time frame, I had my second one done 7 weeks to the day from the first (though my thread says 2 hips in 6 weeks). It's working out fine, but I think 8-10 weeks would have given me more stability on the first hip, and 3 months is probably super-safe.

For me, sleep came more easily after a week or two. It's bound to be tough at first!

I know you've heard this, but as my PT and the OS both said to me, "Every healing is different." I have had more pain after the second surgery, but I had more trouble sleeping after the first one. My hip would go into spasm, resulting in a restless-legs thing that was awful. But just for a week.
 
Are you maybe on your way home today, @Lea61? I am sure while they seem to be taking good care of you in the hospital you are probably, like most folks, eager to get home with comfortable and familiar surroundings. I am sure there will be challenges at home, of course, but you'll manage. Keep focused on controlling and staying ahead of your pain, and resolve to be as patient and cheerful as you can. I am having a tough day today mood-wise, but I know today is just another day and I'm heading in the right direction. Have a good one, cheers to you.
 
@Jaycey @Layla .....Getting into the car was not too challenging. We have an SUV so I wasn't getting into anything low. Not too many bumps along the way. The rain held off while I was getting into the car. Once we started to drive a bit, it started to pour while still in the city. After going over bridge to Staten Island, the rain stopped and so I arrived home free of rain.:) I probably found it a little more of a challenge getting out of the car, but overall, it was all better than I had imagined. I did ask PT for some advise and the transporter to the car was very helpful too.:) :-) (:
 
@Alitm Sleeping has been such a challenge. I thought I would have gotten decent sleep last night because of the 2 hours I had the night before, but last night was another 2 hour "nap". When I got home, I went to bed and again didn't sleep, so I got up and had a light lunch. After lunch, I actually slept for 3 hours :wow: So I am happy. I feel more rested now and I'm not going to get myself crazy over it. It's not like I have anywhere to go and I will just get my sleep whenever my body tells me. But, I really thought the pain meds would make sleep better than this. It almost seems to have the opposite effect.
My pup was overly excited, but was afraid of the walker, which was a good thing because it kept him from trying to jump on me. In fact, while sitting in a chair, I blocked my operated leg with the walker so he would stay away from that side (he was trying to get onto my lap). He took a nap with me (he loves his naps) and he stayed right along side me and never moved. At bedtime, he is used to sleeping in his crate, so he won't be a problem since never got into the habit of sleeping with us during the night. (only daytime naps)! lol And he ate his food while I was sitting in the kitchen typing !!
I hope you are continuing to do well. I'll check on your thread later to see how it is going with you.....
Thanks for all your encouragement and support:flwrysmile:
 
@Lea61 Well done on handling all the in and outs of vehicles. Glad the rain held at the appropriate times.
I'm sure you are glad to be home. Wishing you a comfortable night. Take your meds on schedule and :ice:!

Thinking of you:SUNsmile:
 
@Bionic ...it's nice to know that you are feeling well enough at 13 weeks that if you had to do it again, you feel you would be up to it. And yes, knowing what to expect and the personal learning process of each individual is so helpful.
@EL11 ...And I can't believe you had your 2nd at 7 weeks. I think @Alitm is doing her 2nd at 8 or 10 weeks (have to check). I tried to ask the OS if I could have the 2nd at 8-10 but he said absolutely not. I thought it would have been a little easier for me for the time I can be out on disability. As it stands, I have until March 5th to go back (and I have to be full capacity, not limited) ! I might be pushing it a little having 2nd surgery in January. I will have to look into it and see if I can go back to work in December and then go out again in January (it would be a new calendar year....but who knows if they have other restrictions of what I can or can't do). I just didn't want to loose my status, and was hoping to return to my own classroom. Can't worry about all that now, but I will talk to my Director and see what she thinks before going to our HR.
Thanks for all you input and advice..... :flwrysmile:And support !!
 
@Alitm .... Don't tell anybody, but can you believe that I forgot to Ice !!:ice: I'm going back to bed now and I will take it with me! The hospital even sent me home with an ice pack and sleeve. It is a really nice one too. It had two sections for two separate ice packs, so I could kind of lay on top of one section and have the other section come up to my side. It even had velcro straps to wrap along the leg and attach back onto the pack so it all stays in place on my leg(I hope I described that well enough, you may have seen one on amazon). I had just purchased some ice packs, which I can now put into these sleeves. Between the leg pump, that needs to stay on 20 hours a day (and the box happens to monitor my "compliance") !!! schedule of pills, etc. its all a lot to remember.
Hope you are having a good day (or night) !:) :-) (:
 
@Lea61 Ha ha we crossed in cyber space with the messages!

It's not like I have anywhere to go and I will just get my sleep whenever my body tells me.
I was warned about the sleep thing. Try not to get stressed about it. You've got it right!

I put my walker at the end of my recliner, so our dogs wouldn't bump my leg! Our ridgeback usually sleeps right on my feet, when I'm sitting on the couch or chair, and she misses that connection. Their beds are close to my recliner, so they are nearby. They come right over with their heads in my lap for a visit. I used to get really nervous about that, but they seem to be really good about everything. We just don't want any bumps!

Did your doctor mention yet when he would want to do the second hip? Mine said 8 - 10 weeks. I'm sure that is weighing on your mind...it did mine!

Hoping that you get some sleep tonight, where ever and when ever you can. Pillows and wedges in strategic places help bed sleeping. Took me a couple of weeks to figure it out. The recliner worked for me in the meantime.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Barbaraj ... Thank you so much. Yes home today around noon time. Still able to get PT and OT this morning for some refreshers and last minute questions. I got 3 hours sleep at home :sleep: I have resigned myself to just get sleep when I can and not fight it. I have no where to go....bathroom?? The walker is a bit of a challenge. My downstairs bathroom is small and I have to turn walker to get it in the doorway first, etc. But hubby is standing there, but I am really doing it myself. It's amazing how one adjusts, and we are able to just do what we have to do!
Sorry to hear that you are not having a good day today, but you know that tomorrow is another day, and this mood today will be "yesterday's mood". (wow, does that make sense, or is it the pain meds talking) ? Lol.
Feel Better......:flwrysmile: Hugs going out to you too.....:friends:
 
@Lea61 You need a check list for all the kit you have to wear! The hospital ice pack sounds very nice. Can't believe the leg pump has a "compliance" box....yikes....nothing like being monitored! :unsure:

Try not to worry about work this first week. Focus on your rest, icing, sleeping and of course...being compliant:whistle:
Easier said than done of course.

Four weeks from today I'm back in the OR :flabber:
 
Awww...thanks @Lea61! My morning "pity party" has dissipated and I'm looking forward to dinner out with my husband tonight. I didn't have sleep issues, thankfully, other than one night when I woke up in pain at 2:00 AM and when I posted about it, was sternly advised (appropriately so!) that I needed to set an alarm so I could stay on schedule with pain meds. I had the same problem with the walker. We have a bathroom attached to our bedroom, but the toilet is in a tiny little room so getting the walker maneuvered correctly was always a challenge. Fortunately, as I'm tall, I did opt for the "toilet riser" which was great for me--otherwise, in drug induced fog I'm sure I would have smacked down hard on our ancient low toilet seat! I will be interested to read how you do with your walker. I realized its necessity early on, but I hated it! Made me feel like frumpy old lady, and I hunched over it and spent too much energy just pulling and pushing it around, and not enough focus on standing up straight and maintaining a more normal gait. I pretty much ditched it after week one.

I agree just getting sleep in small doses at night and then during the day isn't ideal (you never really feel rested) but for now I'd just accept it. Good news is that it WILL get better, so hang in there.
 
@Alitm ....I have a recliner, but I think I am going to try using a bed I have on the 1st floor. It belongs to my sister, but she is not here right now. It is a motorized bed (not hospital bed) Head section and leg section can be raised and lowered. The bed is comfy too ! I think that might work for me, and there's a tv in there too.
OS said I need to wait 12 weeks, which will put me in early January. He suggested that I call next week and set up a date now so I have it. Having a positive hospital experience will make it easier to return.....will see how rest of recovery goes......
 
Back
Top Bottom