Guest viewing is limited

THR Bilateral AVN THR recovery

Hi wabley! Glad you were able to celebrate little man's special day. :thumb:
It is so easy to overdo it at this point as the pain begins easing, your mobility is increasing and you feel ready to do more than your new hips are ready to take on. Your body is still in recovery mode from two major surgeries so close together. Soft tissue and muscles still healing and overdoing it will lead to discomfort / pain, swelling and even setbacks. Pace yourself...gentle activity and rest when needed as your strength and stamina slowly return.

Check out the reality of recovery through the scribble below. :wink:
Rest, feel better soon and have a good week! Thanks for the update, wabley.
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral AVN THR recovery

@wabely
 
I was so happy to hear that you celebrated your sons birthday and was enjoying it so much you were 'able' to overdo it. I know that sounds strange but just imagining how you were previously, it must feel good to be active. Overdoing it is a new kind of challenge. As others have said, it's so easy to overdo it and we all go through this learning curve as we get accustomed to our new hips that are gradually healing and bedding in for the first year. Only today, I transitioned to my walking stick around the house feeling absolutely great but after just a short time compared to when I have one crutch, my hip grumbled significantly. Basically, to let me know it was going to need to take things easy if I intend to continue using my walking stick instead of my crutch. I'm finding that little changes can make a big difference. I'll rest up with some ice with my feet up for an hour or two. Then I'll try a little activity to see if it has calmed down. If it's still grumbling, I'll continue the resting and so on. For me personally, swelling seems to be the main signal that I've done too much and need a rest.
 
Congrats on 1st birthday celebration. It has to be so difficult recovering with such a young child to care for. I was 70 when I fell and needed a replacement so all I had to worry about was myself.
Easy for me to tell you to rest but in reality probably not easy with a baby.
I’m hoping you have help with your child and can get some much needed rest in between daily life.
You will get there but it does take time.
 
Has anyone had issues with what feels like a trapped nerve/muscle strain on just one side? Back in 2019/2020 I used to run 3 or 4 times a week but I had to stop because my hip muscles on my right side were always playing up and it was interfering with every day life. I’m now getting the same sort of muscle pains, still on my right side, now that I’m in recovery from my hip replacements. I will speak to the physio about this but just wondered if anyone else had experience of it.
 
I’m glad you’re going to speak with your therapist about this. Many times patients will get pains like this following joint replacements because of body alignment. You’ve spent years with your body compensating for bad hips walking with a particular gait pattern. Now the surgery has instantly placed your hips into proper alignment and the soft tissues must adjust to that. It takes time, possibly some work with a physical therapist, and maybe some pain medication with ice or heat to get things completely resolved. Remember that your body didn’t get the way it was overnight and recovery from the bad alignment will also take time.
 
Has anyone had issues with what feels like a trapped nerve/muscle strain on just one side
Yes! I had my THR in June and I had a lot of issues with the muscles in my THR-side hip and leg that started at about 2 months post-op. I tried stretching it out and that made matters worse. My physical therapist was really helpful in identifying what was going on and adjusted my exercises.

He also reminded me that it took years for my body to get "out of balance" and that I needed to give it time to adapt to my new improved alignment. After about 4 weeks of working with him, I'm feeling much better.

You are still early days in this recovery. Definitely speak to your physio, but also try to be patient. This recovery takes time.
 
It's the week of anniversaries.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you and sweet baby boy have a great Sunday, wabley!
@wabley
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
We haven't heard from you in a couple of weeks. I hope you're enjoying steady progress in between baby snuggles.
Let us know how you're doing when you have the time.
Until then, all the best!
@wabley
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary...as both hips hit that milestone over the next week!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear about the progress you're making and how you are handling recovery with a little one. Do you feel both hips are healing at a similar pace and are there things you're back to doing that are making your life easier? Wondering if you have any advice for those following behind that schedule surgeries close together?
Wishing you the best as you continue the journey and hope to hear from you soon!
@wabley
 
Back
Top Bottom