Guest viewing is limited

THR Bilateral AVN THR recovery

Congratulations on your epic journey towards a new active you! I'm so happy to hear that you have done so well through these challenging surgeries. Every day now is one that gets you closer to your goal and that's such a blessing. Looking forward to hearing about that first walk with your little one :flwrysmile:
 
I've been told by physio that today is the day we try stairs! I've been anxious about this day because for the past year, stairs have been my nemesis. They are the thing that has physically made me cry more than any other thing because of the pain they have put me in, and have felt like the biggest obstacle. I'm looking forward to overcoming this and climbing this obstacle!
 
Hope you will master the stairs and continue to recover smoothly
 
Be kind to yourself. It's normal for it to be scary with this history.

Do share your feelings with the physio. They've probably had other patients go through the same and I bet they'll be supportive.

Let us know how it goes!
 
Good luck with the stairs today. Just take it slow & be sure your PT person understands your previous experience with stairs.
Let us know how it goes.
 
I feel for you and understand the anxiety about the stairs. I was incredibly nervous about getting in my car because it's been a real challenge but my new hip made it easier than it's been in a long time (day after surgery). A glimpse of things to come! You've got this covered and I'm confident you'll overcome the challenge and may even be surprised at yourself. A first milestone is great to get behind you it means you are moving forward. All the best :flwrysmile:
 
Hi wabley,
How did the stairs go? I hope easier than you anticipated. :fingersx:
@wabley
 
Hello wabley,
It's been a month since your first surgery. Happy One Month Anniversary!
Thinking about you and wondering how you're doing? I hope you're adjusting well, settling into a comfortable routine and you're pleased with your progress so far.
We'd love to know how your recovery is going, especially in light of your brave decision to have your second THR only one week after the first. Recovery from two THR's within a week is a huge challenge and you're only the second person I recall doing so in my eight years here. No pressure to give us details if you're not feeling up to it, only want to know that you're doing okay. Best wishes, hope to hear from you soon.
@wabley
 
Thanks for the message! I’ve been meaning to check in on here for a while but keeping up with a baby (who turned 1 on the 10th) is a lot. Physically, I’m doing really well. I was discharged from hospital at 3 weeks exactly from my first hip and my physiotherapists were all so happy and impressed with my progress. The day before his birthday, I managed to push him in his pram in the park, which was beautiful.
Emotionally, I’m finding things a lot harder. I have read that it is very common to cry a lot after hip replacement surgery, but I’m finding it very challenging. I will cry for no reason, and it’s not out of frustration for not being able to do something.
I had one of the best surgeons at one of the best hospitals in the UK, so I trust his decision to do them one week apart was the right one. The idea that right now I’d still be waiting for my second hip and still unable to do anything better than before is unthinkable to me!
 
I'm overjoyed to hear an update from you! I've been thinking about you. How absolutely heart warming to hear you pushed your baby through the park... It melts my heart!

I imagine the emotions could be in part to medication but also just the emotional upheaval of surgical trauma and everything you've been through. Are you still on medication? I was terrible with hip #1 and would cry at the drop of a hat. Whilst some of it was medication, I think it was also just letting all out after years of anticipating surgery. I did stop crying, it gradually became a thing I didn't do as recovery progressed.

How are your hips, generally?
 
First 3-4 months I had crying jags. Some days because of stuff (like chores), I couldn’t do & other days just feeling sorry for myself & reliving the fall I took and how it was totally avoidable. But we can’t go backwards!
Happy to hear you are home & enjoying your baby once again.
 
I'm overjoyed to hear an update from you! I've been thinking about you. How absolutely heart warming to hear you pushed your baby through the park... It melts my heart!

I imagine the emotions could be in part to medication but also just the emotional upheaval of surgical trauma and everything you've been through. Are you still on medication? I was terrible with hip #1 and would cry at the drop of a hat. Whilst some of it was medication, I think it was also just letting all out after years of anticipating surgery. I did stop crying, it gradually became a thing I didn't do as recovery progressed.

How are your hips, generally?
That’s the thing. It really is just at the drop of a hat. Sometimes when I’m in public and it feels so embarrassing. My hips are doing really well I think. My right hip is still giving me a bit of a niggle but not the hip itself, more the skin and muscle. And the smaller incision on my left side has been a bit weepy so need to go back for another check this week. But all in all, I really can’t complain. Life already looks very different than what it did a month ago.
 
You're welcome for the message, wabley!
It is so nice to see you on the forum and wonderful to read how well you're doing physically. It still amazes me that you endured two surgeries within days, but I understand why you're glad that you did. Not only is the quick succession difficult to fathom, but then returning home to a one year old baby?! You're a champ, not sure how you're doing it all!

It is common to cry post op, it's been the topic of discussion on BoneSmart frequently. There is a name for it, it's called Post Op Blues and if you go back to your Recovery Guidelines when you have time, you will find an article on the topic.

The limitations we experience initially and the need to rely upon others can be frustrating. We're moving slowly, still dealing with pain and stiffness and easily discouraged. Early on, sleep and diet can be affected negatively also. Keep in mind that you are recovering from two major surgeries with in one week. This can magnify all of the aforementioned compared to recovering from a single surgery. Meds can also affect our brain chemistry and surgery can disrupt our hormones. There is a lot that comes into play, but know that it's only temporary and you will get through it. You ARE getting through it. I can't imagine taking care of a one year old post op, from a single THR. You're amazing, wabley! Each time you're out in public you're proving how far you've come since the last surgery, that's something to be proud of, not embarrassed about, so hold your head high! :ok:
Please stay in touch...it was a pleasant surprise to see an update from you this morning. :)
@wabley
 
I think the tears will dry up as you progress through recovery. It's something that is known to be common post surgery but not fully understood. What is known is that there is a category of 'emotional tears' that contain stress hormones and also natural pain relievers. There is a theory that the body is actively getting rid of stress and at the same time encouraging well being and relaxation. Overly simplified but you maybe get the idea.

I can't say exactly what type of tears you are experiencing but I do know that surgery is pretty stressful. Personally, I often feel a little better after a cry, even if it is a bit embarrassing.
 
You’re doing so well! And I love your avatar photo of Baby Weblay. He’s a charmer, for sure. It’s so great that you’re in the healing stage instead of just waiting. The future looks really bright for you. Just take things slow as you start to heal and get stronger. Those walks with the pram perfect therapy.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you've had a good week and your days are feeling brighter, wabley.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend with the little cutie man. :)
@wabley
 
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing ok. We celebrated my son’s 1st birthday today (a few weeks late so I could do a bit more) and have had a wonderful day with family and friends. However, it’s kind of dawned on me now that I have overdone it today and have possibly been overdoing it a bit recently. I don’t know how I’m supposed to be feeling right now in terms of pain or discomfort, or how and which muscles should be hurting. Any advice?
 
It’s wonderful to hear that you were able to celebrate your son’s first birthday. I know this was a real milestone for you! It’s understandable that you might have overdone things a bit on such a joyous occasion. But the good news is that you can recover with some serious rest for a few days or maybe even a week or two. You’ll be back on track soon.

Unfortunately there is no “right” way to feel at any point in your recovery. Each of us and each surgery is different. So, you have to learn how to listen to the signals your body will send you when you are pushing too hard for that point in your recovery. Signals can be tiredness, light pain, stiffness, or just a feeling that things aren’t just right. This is very early in your recovery, so you need to still allow for plenty of rest time each day.

It might help if you go back to the first part of your thread and re-read the articles left for you. There is information there about general recovery timelines.
 
I'm so happy to read that you were able to have your son's first birthday celebration!
:loveshwr:

At just 6 and 7 weeks post-op, you are still early days in recovery and it's really easy to overdo things. Joint replacement surgery takes a major toll on your body -- even more so, since you had both hips done in such a short time. You really can't rush the healing process. I'm at 14 weeks post-op from my latest THR and still have some soft tissue discomfort.

Try to stay patient. It does get better with time.
 
Back
Top Bottom