THR Bickypeg's new hip

@bickypeg How I love to read your posts. You've such a creative and descriptive way with your words. Perhaps a book is in your future?
I like parks. They look pretty but aren't crying out for attention like my garden.

Your life sounds full, though I know how challenging it can be. Just wanted to acknowledge your commitment to yourself, determination, and great distraction techniques. They do, indeed, work! Thank goodness.

Sweet dreams! I will follow your progress with interest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I strolled round the town (full of old ladies with sticks like me m[/ QUOTE]
:heehee:

Standing too long waiting to be served in my usual cafe so left (probably scowling)
:heehee:

bickypeg, you're funny and I'm not sure you're even trying to be, lol. Thanks for the giggles. It's nice to hear you're having a good day emotionally and feeling more agile especially. Yes! A movie, a stroll, a coffee and the park. It sounds relaxing and peaceful. A nice visit with your son to look forward to and a walk up the road sounds like a lovely way to end the day.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@bickypeg
 
Sounds like a remarkably pleasant day yesterday, @bickypeg. Your posting sounded cheerful and a great way to spend some time with movie, walking, coffee and chatting with a few friends. I am happy to read about your gray lace top, sounds very pretty and who cares if it's not a thick woolen sweater instead? If you like it, it is a flattering cut and it made you smile when you tried it on then I think it was a splendid purchase indeed. I hope you do wear it--you can always use a pretty shawl over it if needed. But pretty clothes can be such a mood booster. Seems like I seldom find anything that I love in the stores anymore, or at least nothing I consider pretty. I am a fairly practical person and as my life is pretty routine, shopping involves jeans, various practical (is it wash and wear? is it priced reasonably?) items like tops and underwear. But how fun to find an item of clothing that is pretty and fun. I'd love that, so enjoy your purchase. Happy Friday!
 
Realise I haven't posted for a while - always a good sign as far as recovery goes? A busy but pleasant weekend with 2 longish walks along the canal as it was such a lovely day and then everyone home on Sunday. Decided there was no way I was cooking for 9 plus baby so we sent out for fish and chips. And third son was baking again (more thesis avoidance?) so we had 3 different types of dessert. So much for my losing weight plan which had lasted 24 hours. A nice morning at the youngest's who is so proud of his new home and already planning Christmas activities for the family there.
A pummeling by the physio yesterday as I was a little concerned by both knees and old hip feeling sore. But she thinks it's related to both thigh muscles still being tight though she assured me she could see a big improvement. Which I know there is really. (Managed both feet up on hamper in bathroom to dry toes...)Told her about my odd ankle and she examined both feet and gave me a very simple exercise to do with a band whilst sitting down. We went with youngest and girlfriend to see the Downton Abbey film later as they are huge fans. Pleasant pretty film but I prefer something with a bit more oomph to it.
And apart from the hairdressers a quiet day today. Pouring with rain so impossible to go out and no nearby shopping malls to get my steps up, only possibility is a chilly garden centre already full of Christmas cheer according to my stylist. I'm really not ready for that yet! I'll just have to walk round and round the house...
 
Aaah, nice to read you had your beloved family time. So happy for you, bickypeg. Walks along the canal followed by a full house sharing a meal and yummy desserts together afterward. A definite distraction from pain and a great mood booster. I know how you love your family and thrive in their presence. It's nice your son has volunteered his home as the gathering place for Christmas. Not ready to think about Christmas yet, but the holidays will be upon us in a hot minute the way time seems to fly.

Please proceed slowly with the exercise bands and pay attention to whether using one initiates discomfort in any other areas. I know the use of exercise bands is not normally advised here. I hope you have a pleasant rest of the day while homebound due to the rain. We're expecting some rain here early evening but it's sunny and beautiful right now. :SUNsmile: A great rest of the week to you!
@bickypeg
 
Sounds like a great weekend, @bickypeg, and good for you deciding to send out for fish and chips rather than cooking for the mob! And nice walks which probably felt good as well. Wish my children were interested in any kind of baking or cooking, although I'm sure having three desserts around, especially all homemade, would have torpedoed even the most committed dieter. Still, it's a new week and you can get back on the abstemious eating bandwagon again. It's been miserable around my neighborhood as well, with gray, overcast skies and on and off rain for days now--quite depressing but it is fall, I remind myself. Still, what happened to the darn Indian Summer I was hoping for?! Definitely feeling cheated. Have a good day!
 
Thanks @Layla I know they're generally frowned on but it is literally sitting with band round ankles and just moving the toes on the wonky ankle very slightly outwards. I remember the podiatrist had suggested husband did the same thing for me a while ago but it never happened. I have full control over the resistance this way and I'm not going to overdo anything. Once bitten...Oh and she also suggested standing on tiptoe so I did that to Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Snowflakes which happened to be on in the kitchen, and pretended to be a ballerina...
 
No it's sweet that they are so domesticated @Barbaraj I never cooked or baked for fun I'm sure! Wonder where they got it from!? Although my brother's a keen cook. But as it coincides with my lack of interest in food these days I welcome it. I think with only having boys and a husband often away I treated them in a very 'unisex' fashion round the house when they were growing up?
 
Well, I had boys and girls, @bickypeg, and none of 'em cook or bake except under duress perhaps. The boys both know how to make "Texas Caviar with Avocado" and have successfully brought that to parties, to great acclaim, but that's it. Daughters both get that "deer caught in the headlights" look at the thought of any kind of regular meal preparation. But then again, I'm not sure I was a diligent parent at trying to inculcate a love of food prep--maybe because except when cooking for guests (lovely guinea pigs who are always nice no matte how things turn out) I was an irritable and mediocre cook. But you've done good with your boys! I am all admiration! How are those ankles doing?
 
Hi @bickypeg
I guess what you're doing with the bands doesn't sound too worrisome. Hopefully it helps.

Oh and she also suggested standing on tiptoe so I did that to Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Snowflakes which happened to be on in the kitchen, and pretended to be a ballerina...

I'd love to see this, you're a hoot! :heehee:
Have a great Thursday!
 
Feeling achey and cross yesterday. Perhaps it's Wednesdays? But not sleepy thank goodness. Went to church again - only 20 minutes but the chairs are so uncomfortable so it's bearable. Everyone else there is even more decrepit than me which is cheering and instead of hymns we are stirred by the sound of walking sticks clattering to the floor every few minutes. They do a luncheon club after but I'll never be old enough for that if I live to be 90.
Then on to the nearest garden centre ostensibly to walk round in the dry but they have a lovely cafe...Nasty tasteless Halloween stuff everywhere (not a celebration I grew up with as it was all Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night/Mischief Night in Yorkshire back then) but also very lovely Christmas displays! Felt achey all day here and there but pushed myself to get the 5000 steps in. Then wondered if I should have.
Feeling much better this morning but still so stiff when I get up. Shoulder and right arm has been painful for a long time though I tend to ignore it and the NSAID helps. But why? It was painful after left hip was done but I assumed it was because it had to work so hard hauling me across the bed etc. Perhaps too much use of the tablet and typing!
The tendonitis does get me down sometimes especially when I read on Google it can take years to settle! And I have felt no better really since the last visit to physio. How to rest those poor old muscles etc but also keep moving to keep the hips happy? And thinking back how did I do so much damage just walking and gardening and enjoying myself? I really don't think I did anything very stupid... Oh well end of rant. It's a fine bright morning so I will get out while I can. Good for my mental health certainly.
 
I got out before the rain came and went up to the youngest's as husband was doing a little job for him. A nice walk on the flat, rehomed a snail and a huge spider, had a chat to somebody I knew and admired some cows.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    20190926_123146.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 204
Everyone else there is even more decrepit than me which is cheering

Ha, ha, I just loved this @bickypeg! Okay, perhaps we're not supposed to feel heartened by seeing that others around us are in worse shape, but it's what we all privately think, I'm sure. Despite the uncomfortable chairs and general achiness, it does sound like you got out and did some enjoyable activities. I agree with you about Halloween. Although we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes in the USA, I certainly don't remember Halloween ever being such a big holiday complete with required decorations. My mother just hunted around for costume jewelry and filmy scarves (princess costume for me) and similar sort of thing for my brothers (pirates usually). That was it, although maybe a carved pumpkin on the front porch. Like I need more holiday décor to store somewhere?!! Anyway, despite overdoing it, I hope you are feeling better this morning. We all suffer from those aches and pains and here's to hoping they will all go away eventually as we continue healing.
 
:hi:
Sorry you had a bad day, @bickypeg Hopefully being in church lifted your spirits. I guess aging and the sounds of walking sticks hitting the floor is better than the alternative, so good for them still making their way to church to PTL. Wonder if your great sense of humor could brighten some of their days if you stopped by the luncheon club? You've provided me with some good comic relief, you could be that bright spot in another's day. Something to consider...

I'm with you on the garden centers. I love walking through a great garden center! Outdoors in the Summer and indoors in the Winter. Thankfully my granddaughter likes it also and loves to accompany me. My daughter...not so much. Guess it skipped a generation, lol. There's an indoor one about an hour away from me that has a cafe and the menu looks delish. Only thing stopping me are there are a few birds flying around in there and I envision something nasty falling from one into my food! Random, I realize, but the visual stops me. I'm not much into ghoulish Halloween decor' either although I do like harvest decor and enjoy mums and other Autumnal foliage at my front door along with a seasonal wreath and Welcome mat. I love the season and the natural beauty it provides. So pretty!

Good to hear you're feeling better today after your 5000 steps yesterday. Sorry your shoulder and tight arm are bothering you, hopefully it's shortlived.

The cow says MOO! Love your pic, thanks for sharing. I hope you have a relaxing peaceful evening!
 
Last edited:
Hi @bickypeg, first of all, I was sorry to read about your blue Wednesday, some days are just like that. Especially in the year after a joint replacement. But then! You post a picture of cows grazing on the hillside.. I instantly felt relaxed and I just know you were feeling that way, too.
I was raised on a farm and still love seeing cattle, horses, well, basically anything in the pastures.
Then you went into life saving mode for the snail and spider.. :thumb:
What a nice day!
I hope it helped to lift your spirits and helped to forget about your shoulder that is nagging a bit, too.
Happy weekend!
 
A quiet day yesterday but feeling very comfortable. Hardly moved any furniture @Mojo333 . The weather was poor again so decided to forget about the 5000 steps as there was no way I was braving the elements. An evening trip to the eldest's where after a long run of Denzil Washington films (yum)over the past few weeks he put on a tedious thing about children's baseball with Walter Matthau but it was nice just to sit and relax. He struggles to find something to suit me and his Dad, but hope it won't be long before I can get over there on the rural bus again. Never thought I'd be thankful to use public transport but it would be so good to be independent. Also I was exceptionally sore getting out of the car.
Still very stiff Saturday morning after a good night, and the weather was foul again with even a flood alert (it lowers my mood so much too @Barbaraj ) so much mooching about feeling out of sorts. But a brighter patch in the afternoon and actually walked down the hill to the village for the first time since my 'relapse'. But I was feeling it by the time I got down there. Had arranged to be picked up so sat and watched the rising river. Fed up of having no stamina but it was still an achievement. Son and girlfriend called later so she could have a bath as she has a chesty cold. It was beautifully clean of course as no one has been in it for months! So a nice chat too.
 
Hardly moved any furniture @Mojo333 .
:skep:
Can you Not Look at your furniture?!

I'm sorry your stamina is the pits.
:unsure:
But glad you got out and about...
Watching the rising river would be #6 on my...I really love this list.
Hugsxxx my dear @bickypeg :roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
I hope today has some lovely sunshine out, @bickypeg, since it is a great mood booster for a lot of us, and gloomy, overcast days definitely put a crimp in my mood. Anyway, glad son and girlfriend came for a visit and you got in a nice chat. I bet while chatting you weren't focusing on how you were feeling, and it was a nice opportunity to laugh and talk and ignore all things hip just for awhile. Sorry about this frustrating relapse but it is, you know, only temporary, a brief setback which will be overcome and you'll be moving forward towards full recovery again once you're rested up. Have a great Sunday and I hope maybe a bit of a walk if the weather breaks continue. It's a bit of blue in the sky in my neighborhood among the streaky clouds. But I'm not a walker like you and so many other brave souls so exercise is confined to indoor, which means I have no excuse this morning--heavy sigh--not to throw on some workout pants and a top and gloomily head into the bedroom I've set up with stuff needed for my home PT exercises. Cheers!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom