THR Bickypeg's new hip

Oh you've lovely @Barbaraj :loveshwr:
(And please keep telling me about the delicious meals you're preparing or going out to enjoy! It's very cheering!)
 
And it was the chiropodist/podiatrist @CricketHip not a doctor. I had been a bit concerned about my feet getting very hot and pink from time to time for the last 12 months but also getting a bit bluish if I let them get cold in winter. A doctor had suggested Raynaud's and she said it was similar. I'd had my circulation checked in the cardio vascular department months ago and all was well and she confirmed I had the pulse rate of a young person. But did say they might not have picked up circulation of the tiny capillaries? She also prodded round with a needle thing. Much ouching on my part. She said something on the lines that my feet were perhaps giving confused messages to my brain sometimes and there could be some peripheral nerve damage but she wasn't concerned about it. This is my muddled memory of the session. It mostly predates the operations certainly the cold feet. And it's not diabetes. Just another slight irritation among all the others...:umm:
 
@bickeypeg, I understand, you've been poked and prodded, poor thing and still not a definitive answer.
I hear much of this on my table from clients. I have noticed over the years that women have much more of the pain, coldness and idiopathic pains than men do. I've never conducted a study or anything but the difference is very noticeable.
I wish I had discovered this way before the years that I wore high heels with pointy toes and worse yet, flats with no support whatsoever!
Have a great weekend !!
 
I just remembered @CricketHip that long before first op when I had a pre assessment by a junior doctor he said my feet were very cold and he couldn't find a pulse. This is what set off the whole circulation investigation and incidentally delayed my THR by months. (he was a horrible man, but that's another story...) At the time I said that I'd always had cold feet (and outpatients was freezing!) and the nurse chipped in and said she always did as well. She was the sensible person who went and found a ?doppler machine which he struggled to handle. Have to say he was the only medic I came across who wasn't charming!
 
I'd had my circulation checked in the cardio vascular department months ago

My Surgeon had me goo to a Vascular Surgeon before he would operate as he didn't like the looks of the skin on my legs. :unsure: II have never had 'clear' legs, they look patchy. I have very thin skin. The Vascular Surgeon examined me and did ultrasound from groin down but found nothing untoward and gave me the 'all clear'. I told him that for 20-25 years my legs from the knees down wold look 'bruised' if I did anything physical. It is still a mystery. :scratch:

Sending you good wishes for a pleasant weekend.

[Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip Izzy xx
 
Hey, there, @bickypeg. It's the weekend here and I hope you're enjoying yourself, maybe getting out for a little activity of some kind--keep on moving, that's what we all need to do. I was kind of a slug yesterday, although I managed to successfully complete Day 1 of my new PT exercises. Wish I had lots of meal/baking news to report, but will definitely be letting you know when the spirit moves me! Last night was dinner out with my husband and son, and tonight a sad and dispiriting meal of scrounged leftovers as husband is heading out to yet another football game. Is the nerve damage in your ankles something that can be treated if it's causing you problems with your hips/walking? It's hard enough that our hips are still wonky, but adding in ankle problems would make it even harder--argh!
 
The ankle comes and goes @Barbaraj especially if my feet are bare and I'm moving quickly (which I do occasionally) I'm not sure it's very serious as I can usually wiggle it about enough to get it going again. It is one I've sprained in the past falling off silly shoes. I hope the physio can suggest something. It hadn't been a problem for months until recently. Been feeling quite good the last couple of days but I am taking anti inflammatories a couple of times a day. Don't like it but they do seem to help. Can't remember what I did yesterday but the sun was shining and I did my 5000 steps again. Got the last few hundred steps last thing just walking round the house outside until I'd done It! Actor son and girlfriend back from Aberdeen this afternoon and the eldest here for lunch too but they're only getting fajitas. Can't be bothered to do a joint!
 
Well, @bickypeg, I think making fajitas is pretty great--your son and his girlfriend should be, and I trust they are, grateful you're willing to cook at all instead of just vaguely gesturing towards the kitchen and saying, "help yourselves" which I've done more times than I care to admit. You are a good mama for doing that. My younger son came over for dinner on Friday night thinking, foolish boy, that I would be cooking dinner. Ha! It was off to a restaurant where he had a much better meal than I could have prepared.

Hope the ankle is feeling better and you're moving deliberately to avoid injuring it again. Sounds like a pesky problem and maybe your physio can suggest some exercises that will help with that. I'm still impressed with your 5000 steps a day. I don't think my exercise tracker gives me full credit for the work on the elliptical--I only average around 3000+ steps a day and I feel I do more than that. Happy Sunday!
 
Hi @bickypeg

I am so glad to read your anti inflammatory meds are helping you keep moving. Sorry to hear your ankle is acting up. This walking thing sure is tricky isn’t it? Never gave it a second thought until I couldn’t walk. Eye opening for sure. Yes, wish I had always worn sensible shoes and taken care of my feet. Hope you have a great week!
 
I have to confess that all I did with the fajitas was a bit of prep @Barbaraj. I even bought readymade chopped up vegetables from Tesco! But no waste at all and life's too short! Then son actually cooked it all. Can't beat it for an easy meal that goes a long way. Husband doesn't really like it - he's a meat and two veg man - but tough! Got 3 more for lunch too and there was lots for everyone plus leftovers. Can I reheat them I wonder?
Babysitting again yesterday with youngest and girlfriend - they really get stuck in with playing! Actor son doing different voices and accents for all the stories and songs and playing with the characters in the castle (a random collection including King John, a unicorn, a couple of pirates, Yoda and a duck) which entertained me! Over excited her of course so she wouldn't take a much needed nap, so we piled her into the pushchair and walked to the nearest soft play area. 10 minutes walk her father had said! Rather more than that! But I coped by having lots of sit downs- once on a luxurious sofa in TK Maxx! and unwanted cups of tea on the way. And she slept all the way.
Was lovely weather by the way! So unexpected after the wet windy weather of Sunday when I actually put the central heating on. And I did 6500 steps! (I don't think gym equipment picks up steps @Barbaraj I had a mini trampoline briefly a few years ago but it didn't pick up any)
Ankle felt uncomfortable a couple of times walking yesterday @Fit4Family but I found leaning on my cane and just circling it a couple of times released it. Obviously exercises are needed so hopefully it's not too serious. Might check with youtube. Private physiotherapy is a costly business.
Feeling fairly chipper this morning as the sun is shining despite another restless sleep. Trying just to accept it now. At least I don't have to get up for work...
 
So glad to see your posts and accomplishments.
Do remember sometimes it's not about how fast we can do more, but how we can get consistent good results without overdoing.

Your grandbaby is the cutest thing!
I dont have any yet, but share my sister's.
My great nieces and nephews are such a joy.
 
What a darling baby, @bickypeg--I am sure you are besotted with her, what a cutie! Chuckled at your description of the fajitas and how it only required minimal preparation. Any preparation counts as "cooking" in my book and, of course, you can reheat fajitas. Throw 'em in the microwave or wrapped in foil in the oven and they'll be fine. Sounds like you got in a nice walk, although I'm sure it's frustrating when that ankle starts to kick up. But, it does sound like you've developed a movement that eases the discomfort. I agree that PT can be expensive, but maybe just having a session or two where they assess and then give you targeted exercises to do at home? I am sure the internet provides a wealth of information about exercises but be careful--they tend to be generic exercises and the last thing you need to do is an exercise which might exacerbate the pain! But, maybe sticking to the advice from out doctors post surgery, "if it hurts don't do it" is a good way to approach any exercise. And yay for 6000+ steps! I did PT exercises yesterday and then vegged out all day--less than 2000 steps. Bad me! Hope you have a good day.
 
A really good day yesterday. Chatted for 2 solid hours in the cafe (no cake!) with my friend whom I hadn't seen for years. I told her how lovely it was to talk to someone to whom I wasn't related! She said she hadn't forgotten how supportive I was when she came as a student on a teaching placement years ago and any school would bite my hand off if I decided to volunteer! She'd have me at her school but wouldn't 'waste' me listening to readers but would give me an intervention group in view of my experience. That was really cheering. I forget sometimes I had a life before hips! We had a good old gossip too.
So no reason why I should have a rotten night and be woken with pain in right knee. Then the usual not being able to find comfy shoes or a comfy chair and finally falling asleep every time I sat down to read. Fed up, bored and anxious. But kept going for short walks, had a proper coffee with real caffeine and feeling brighter by evening. Trying to be philosophical about it. Have booked another physio appointment for next week and hang the expense! She's worth every penny!
 
@bickypeg I have seen my physio 3 times now and have decided that it's worth the cost (£36.00 per session!) The massages she has given me, although very painful, seem to have really got to the root of the problem and the results are quite dramatic. The pain/discomfort is still there, but it is definitely easing and I feel hopeful. Money well spent if I can sort out this problem!
 
Glad you're throwing financial caution to the wind, @bickypeg, and putting some money towards such a worthy cause--yourself! Physio can really work wonders, I think (have an appointment today) and while I'm lucky that insurance does cover it for now, I think I'd divert "wine money" towards continued sessions if I had to do so. You are worth every penny you spend on yourself! And how nice to meet up with a friend at the café and get all that flattering feedback--that must have been a real mood booster for you! You hang in there, I know it feels miserably slow, this recovery, but you ARE headed in the right direction, I'm positive of that, and I hope with continued physio, time and a good attitude you'll be in much better shape this new year. Cyber hugs to you!
 
Last edited:
Felt so much better mentally and emotionally today. These mood swings are tedious but I have to accept them I suppose. Feeling more agile in the morning than the previous day which helped of course. Very cold and foggy first thing but I took myself off to the 'pensioners' special as I call it at the cinema to see Mrs Lowry and Son about L S Lowry. Some superb acting. Came out in jumper, trousers and warm coat to find the sun was out and it was really hot! So I strolled round the town ( full of old ladies with sticks like me who'd probably been to the cinema too!) and chatted to a couple of people I knew. One a nurse with a crumbling back and a bad knee so I counted my blessings. Standing too long waiting to be served in my usual cafe so left (probably scowling) and found one with a waitress service. And better coffee it turned out. Then popped into a shop to check out cosy jumpers/sweaters and came out with such a pretty grey lace top, quite unsuitable for the coming winter...And a pleasant sit in the park waiting for a lift from husband who hadn't wanted to come. I like parks. They look pretty but aren't crying out for attention like my garden.
Lots of the day left for a few easy jobs around the house. No. 3 son is popping in briefly after work while his girlfriend goes trampolining. Always good to see him. Still a lovely evening so I may go up the road a little way even though I've done my 5000 steps. Saw a deer the other evening.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom