Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Sorry @Mojo333 and @Layla didn't really mean to come on and moan again! It really was a lovely birthday weekend and I'm excited that it's spring and the sun is streaming through after a ground frost and some early fog. I'm not really down so much as frustrated but I know that's foolish and I must be patient. I'm mostly pain free - a bit sore this morning but I did a lot of cleaning, reaching, bending and even a bit of light furniture removing yesterday...But a couple of paracetamol (the only pills I've taken for a long time) and a walk round the house eased that. Actually thought I might feel worse.
Called over at no 3 son's briefly in the evening and also first trip to the supermarket on the way. Never thought I'd be so excited to be in a Tesco's! But nice flat walking with a trolley to lean on.
Slept until nearly 6 after going to bed later than usual. Still having to use mouth spray a couple of times, but off to see the dental hygienist this afternoon so hope she might have some useful advice. I found last night that if I'm very careful about the rake of the car seat I'm OK. It's the longest run I'll have had, and lots of stairs at the other end so a bit of an adventure...:scary:
 
Please Don't apologize for telling friends how you feel:console2:
Oh my stars...I looked back over my thread the other day.:unsure:
I wasn't moaning alot...I was Whining!:bawl:
I had lots of folks lifting me up when I was getting down.
 
Like most of us we won't have had much sun last year. I was surprised to find I had low vitamin D which affects muscles, joints, gums, mood and more or less anything else. It might be worth checking it out or aiming for exposed skin for at least 20 minutes between 12 and 2. I got my dose today...Just saying.
 
I am on 4,000 IU of Vitamin D, and 1,000mg of Vitamin B12. (both as advised by my doctor). The Vit D should really help with bone growth apparently low levels of B12 is common is middle aged patients. I know I tested low after my last surgery.
 
I have just started again on cod liver oil and I eat a lot of Marmite @Carriemay60! But I believe most women suffer from Vitamin D deficiency and I'm sure I need more. I will get out again today @Apricot . Perhaps not just in the garden as then I start fretting about the state of it and doing unwise things. Like yesterday...ouch....
Looked back at my post 7 weeks recovery after first THR. I was taking paracetamol, ibuprofen and some codeine more or less round the clock it seems and still having bad nights. One forgets! So little steps (literally), less spring cleaning and more vitamins! If only I took my own advice...but I really appreciate yours ladies. Thank you for the support. xxx
 
@bickypeg I completely missed your second surgery date. Congratulations on getting the second hip done! I was in Bermuda with my brother's illness I think, as I also MIA for my husband's b'day on Feb 9th as well. You sound as if you are doing really well, although probably over doing it a wee bit at times....so easy to do when we start to feel great again!! I do think we heal faster second time around. My OS says we have less anxiety the second time around, and that boosts healing.

I am sorry to read about all the flooding, and I certainly hope you haven't been too affected. I understand about the fear about reliving the previous horrendous flood you experienced. We lived in Bermuda for fifty two years and experienced quite a few hurricanes. That terrible pit in one's stomach when we know how bad it can get is no fun.

Wishing you continued good healing and a Happy Spring :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Alitm Only just caught up with your posts. Condolences on the loss of your brother. What a terrible time you have had. But how wonderful that you were fit enough to get to see him, I know that must have meant so much to you both.
I'm OK really. A bit fed up that I'm back on paracetamol again but old ankle and new hip were complaining and it's only 7 weeks and I must stop feeling I should be managing without them. Long car journey yesterday and it may have been that. Not to worry...:umm:
Decided I'd do nothing today but sit about but find I've done 2 miles just mooching round the house and garden...
Hope your equine charges are doing well and giving you pleasure. Stop showing off heaving feed bags about! I'm sure your physio would be horrified!
 
Last edited:
Hey, @bickypeg, you are 70 years young! And if you're doing 2 miles a day just strolling about with normal activities, you are doing fabulously! Maybe you've just got a touch of spring fever, which is aggravated by not being able to do everything you want? I agree that by this summer you'll be doing even better and will be out there gardening and enjoying life to its fullest. I "gardened" yesterday, but for me it's hunching on a kneeling pad and pulling weeds, a never ending chore in our garden. I noticed we had all sorts of things decide to give up, so need to replace a few things later this spring. It's always something, which is the delight of gardening. Best wishes to you, and happy Sunday!
 
Thanks @Barbaraj but I'm still taking down and recycling the 70s cards and banner this evening with great enthusiasm and going back to pretending I'm in my 60s...
The kids were round for Mother's Day and did a few gardening jobs which was very satisfactory. All I need are compliant young people to do my bidding ! Preferably every day in the spring.
How amazing that you can kneel!! I can't imagine ever kneeling again but who knows what the future holds?! Very sleepy today after a reasonable night's sleep although losing an hour for British Summer Time has really confused my body. But so lovely to have a bright sunny evening.
 
@bickypeg I missed your birthday....Happy Belated!

Sounds as if you are doing incredibly well at seven weeks!! I took the Tylenol until four months second hip...just realized one day I didn't need it. I think now that you have had your second hip done, you will find that things will get better and better as that second hip heals. I have to do physio daily to continue to keep getting stronger, but I waited a good while to heal first, before I started the physio. Thank goodness my surgeon explained that I would feel active healing until 8 - 9 months and the hips will continue to heal until about a year and a half after surgery. That makes me feel better and not so impatient in some ways. He also said that if I was doing my physio that I could push it....but no getting on a horse until second hip was six months! I really do have to budget myself though with what I do, and of course find myself reverting to poor posture and old gait patterns when i'm tired. Sigh..it's a journey! On a positive note, as I heal I can do more and more, and I know you will find the same...you are already logging the miles by the sound of things :heehee:. That two mile comment was not lost on @Barbaraj and me!

I too am impressed with @Barbaraj's kneeling! I can get down but can't get back up yet without hauling myself unceremoniously off of something somewhat stable (sorry, couldn't resist). My horses are used to me pulling myself up off their winter blankets, or sometimes their legs or tail, depending on the horse!! They are very good really!! LOL!!

Wishing you speedy healing! :dancy::cheers:
 
Two months anniversary! A time when one feels so grateful to have lost the arthritic pain but also aware there's a long way to go. We've had some lovely spring mornings and I've managed to pop out and do a bit of one handed pruning and snipping but I can't do it for long because I ache and anything more vigorous is beyond me. So frustrating! Highlight of yesterday was a gardener coming to cut our privet hedge, it's opened up the view and I'm enjoying seeing the school kids, cyclists and others going up and down. It was so expensive though! I'd love to have staff if only I could afford it!
Otherwise a quiet time since Mother's Day. It's all or nothing in this house. But visitors at the weekend again which will be lovely.
Was looking back at 8 weeks out after my first op. So many problems and you were all so lovely and helpful! But I had the same restlessness it seems. Not sure it's just a calendar thing, more the body having got to a certain healing stage? What is it trying to tell me? Be more ambitious? Start doing your neglected PT exercises? Learn a new skill? :whistle:
Slurping down the Vitamin D as recommended. I'm sure my mood is much improved.
 
Two months out ..I'm sure this is when I also felt like I wanted to do something else!
Glad the weather is good and you are able to soak up some rays.
I'm supposed to be preparing for my son's wedding at the end of this month...(I haven't even got a dress yet:whistle:) but it's so nice out that when I get off work I don't want to go shop!
It is so exciting to know I won't be hunched over and dreading the drive and the walking. Thanks to double hip replacement, I will be Happy to be there instead of just making it through.
You are going to get there...hope today is a Good Day!:tada:
 
Oh how exciting @Mojo333 ! Feel free to post photos of dresses you fancy and we'll choose one for you! Are you going down the dreaded hat route?!
Went for first trip in car since Friday. More stuff for the Oxfam shop (they always seem pleased to see us so we must be offloading things they can sell!) and a visit to the Yorkshire Soap shop. Gorgeous smelly things in there but also bars suitable for sensitive skin. Don't think I'm quite as scaly though so perhaps the vitamin D is helping. Also had coffee in ancient hilltop village - Heptonstall @Apricot - full of wonderful 17th century cottages, manor houses, cobbled streets, a ruined church, stocks etc. But only for the hale and hearty for living in! Sigh. I'm resigned to the valley bottom.
Really cold now though and the gritter went past last night. I know there's snow in some parts :gaah:
 
Hope you are having a good day.
Wedding is fairly informal..in a beautiful square in historic Savannah, outside and the weather will be quite warm! My family has always bemoaned my eclectic fashion sense so I think they are nervous about my choice. Since I am Mother of the Groom, I shall conform (somewhat)
[Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip

Too much?:giggle:
Don't think I can find a hat to compliment this frock!
 
I sent an atrocious pic like this on April Fools Day in group message to sister, daughter, mother, son, and future DIL with an excited text about how I found The Dress and what did they think?
Radio silence all day! Hilarious.
No one had nerve to respond.
My daughter finally gave the answer all women understand
"Um, I'll have to see it on!":rotfl:
I finally sent April Fool's and let them off the hook.
I like this as it is southern charm, but don't like black piping and not sure I want floral.
Good thing is...I will be able to handle real shoes with great hips and not worry how I will manage the walking.
Ever so glad to have this surgery done so I can enjoy this time for my son.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    68989052_344.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 244
What a naughty girl! And what a polite family! It's OK. A bit too much like nightwear for my taste. Any more?
 
I like this as it is southern charm, but don't like black piping and not sure I want floral.
Good thing is...I will be able to handle real shoes with great hips and not worry how I will manage the walking.
This dress is totally perfect for a Savannah wedding, and great for spring weather. I'm not much of a floral girl myself but it's a gorgeous dress! And uh, better than your April Fool's selection! :curtsey: I love the gag, it would've been perfect to use on my step-daughter! And omg, REAL shoes??? Wow, that is totally something to look forward too. I almost forget what they look like! @Mojo333

And I don't mean to trample on threads/posts @bickypeg ! It sounds like you've really been busy and doing so well in your recovery, what an inspiration! Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Last edited:
I sent an atrocious pic like this on April Fools Day in group message to sister, daughter, mother, son, and future DIL with an excited text about how I found The Dress and what did they think?
Radio silence all day! Hilarious.
No one had nerve to respond.
My daughter finally gave the answer all women understand
"Um, I'll have to see it on!":rotfl:
I finally sent April Fool's and let them off the hook.
I like this as it is southern charm, but don't like black piping and not sure I want floral.
Good thing is...I will be able to handle real shoes with great hips and not worry how I will manage the walking.
Ever so glad to have this surgery done so I can enjoy this time for my son.

@Mojo333... dress very feminine and pretty.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom