THR Bettifloss is now an old hippy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find coconut oil has a "fluidifying" effect on my bowels so I tend to use a very small amount of it for cooking in a blend with olive and canola.

But yes it's also great for skin and hair when applied topically


Siobhan
RTHR 25 November 2015
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Given that most of the post op hippies on here would love something to make bowels a bit more lively, maybe we should all be on the coconut oil! Haven't tried it yet, but it is on my list of things to try out... Now a convert to the high leg knickers....


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - my M&S package arrived today. Two lots of high legs B Joneses, and 3 pairs of silky ones as suggested by @Gillywigs, plus some silky PJs (a little indulgent, but what the heck). :giggle:
Will have a trying on session later. Have found a wedge on Amazon. Would like to know how that works comfort/rulewise. Is the idea simply to give a bit of a lift bodywise to above the bum but if it's toes above nose then am I going to be parked in bed in a V shape? Advice please veterans of hipology. :elevate: xxx
 
Sorry Miss Muffet, I only use wedge at top of bed to give shoulders a lift, hope someone else can advise if you want it for raising other bits!

Another thought for you - socks and shoes. I have a couple of pairs of fluffy socks with looseish tops that are easy to get on with the sock aid - give it a try with various socks once you have the sock aid to hand. Slip on shoes with a non-slippy sole are invaluable for hospital walking sessions and once you come home. And unless you have a very obliging family, its worth checking which of your other shoes you can actually get on with the long handled shoe horn. I have ended up with a pair of old lady style ankle boots with velcro closures, better than dainty slip ons for walking outside.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - re the wedge. No, that's really what I was asking about. Do you use it at night, or just daytime? Does anyone here use a V pillow? Thanks very much for socks and shoes advice - all gratefully received and documented! x
 
@bettifloss, just popping in to say 'Hi' and see how you're doing. It sounds like you're doing great. :) I'm glad you got your other pup back and that it sounds like she knows not to use Momma for a trampoline.
 
@DeepBreath, thank you for checking in on me, I follow your thread with interest, lots of words of wisdom to be found. Am enjoying having both dogs back though I think older dog is a bit miffed now she doesn't have us all to herself, and younger one is constantly begging her to play. They do have a great time together outside though - thank goodness we have a great dog walker.

@Miss Muffet - when i first got the wedge in week 1. I found it helped to sleep almost sitting up. Have been gradually moving a bit more towards a normal lying down position. I don't lie on the bed much during day as we have the recliner.

I saw you mention art group on Gilliwigs thread - sorry you weren't up to it today, but that will change in the future - I too am an enthusiastic art club member and it has been good to get in a bit of extra painting time while recovering. You might also be cheered to know that three weeks in, I am already able to be back at art club meetings. I am sure you will find art a real comfort when recovering. it is a real pick me up to concentrate on something absolutely for a couple of hours. I will be sure to be at art club tomorrow night - it is the monthly life class or as hubby calls it 'naked people night'.

Amused to think you are naming the hip. I have not seen my actual implant but have been told the ceramic ones are pink. Don't know what kind you are having but maybe it should have a girly name?


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another landmark this morning - three more weeks till I can drive, so I caught the bus. Was a bit apprehensive but need not have been. Waved my crutch at the bus stop, stepped on low level ramp, plopped down in raised disabled seat, and away we went. Never had to give much thought to transport access before, but I was impressed. Thank you NetworkWarrington bus company, it was all very easy, tram and train next on my agenda....


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@bettifloss - sorry for late response and thank you for advice re wedge. I think I will get one. Re art group. Am hoping to be back there next week. My passion is doing chalk pastel portraits. What is yours? Let me see if I am clever enough to upload what I'm currently working on. Husband and grandson (WIP) and my 2015 Christmas card. Unfortunately I've cast a shadow over them (I'm no photographer!) I lose myself in it - do you?
[Bonesmart.org] Bettifloss is now an old hippy
[Bonesmart.org] Bettifloss is now an old hippy
 
Really lovely, you are so clever! So delicate. And i know what you mean about losing yourself...i dabble a bit with pastels too, but mainly watercolours. Here are the tulips my walking group pals gave me when i came out of hozzie.
[Bonesmart.org] Bettifloss is now an old hippy



Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Both of you are awesome artists! I won't even talk about what I can (can't) draw! :loll:Kudos to both of you for sharing your talent like this! I'm more than impressed with your abilities!
 
@bettifloss and @CatLady1 thank you, that's kind (but not yet finished!) I really do admire your tulips, particularly as I'm hopeless at watercolours and I think pastels are more forgiving if I'm honest. How are you both doing? What's your general view at this stage? I'll have to find 2 names now for my new parts (the infamous twins?) :console2:
 
Not quite sure this is a forward step....have been living in track pants since the op, with a few outings in seamless leggings and tunic dress when I needed to look halfway smart. No shame in track pants for visiting friends and art class. But went to a do last night where really only full on dressing up would suffice....so on with the smart trousers for the first time (trousers so as not to need heels!). Perfectly comfortable. Oh dear, I have been living a lie....no excuses now for scruffiness in public, I fear. Since I actually love lying around in tracky bottoms 24 hours a day, this could come as a bit of a blow...


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
:wow:Gosh you are very talented artists keep up the great work.
@bettifloss glad to hear you have your fur baby back. I have a Labrador which has been by my side all day every day. She just seems to know to be careful around me on crutches and she has kept me in good spirits.:dogsniff:

Its been pretty hot over here in Australia its our summer, so I'm wear loose dresses, skirts and alike. Can't imagine trackie pants on my scars.
 
@Shazzstars , I wish my lab/collie cross was that well behaved, she thinks crutches are big silver sticks that I might throw for her!

First hydrotherapy session this afternoon, absolutely brilliant! Just so nice to feel free in warm water. Lots of walking in pool, lunges, squats, balancing on operated leg, stepping up onto a step with operated leg - all without breaking current restrictions. Going to have a couple more sessions, then i should be able to do exercises for myself at pool nearer my house. 'Normal' physio doesn't start for another two weeks, so at least I feel i am doing something useful in the meantime . I do understand what Josephine says about hips mainly healing themselves with moderate walking - but not sure if nature has told my hip it is getting back on a horse as soon as permitted!

Today is also the day to stop Clexane jabs, so that's nice to get out of the way, though it hasn't been a major hassle.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Great to see everything is progressing well for you @bettifloss
I'm lucky too in that it is summer here so if I have to dress up I can just pop on a dress. Otherwise I'm living in Bonds short shorts made from track suit material. So comfy :). I'm jealous of your first hydrotherapy experience I can't wait to get into the pool next week and get this leg moving better.
 
Just realised this weekend - been busy all day Saturday and Sunday - trip to local snowdrop walks, art class, coffee with pals, visiting auntie, etc etc - and lots of walking just to get to places - and not tired like I would have been even a week ago. So the energy drain thing does eventually go away. (Just watch me crash and burn now I've said that!).

Hubby commented quite spontaneously today that I seem much more cheerful than i was before surgery - hadn't realised I had become a grumpy old bat while limping around but perhaps I had, all the more reason to be delighted to have had it done.

Realise I am very very lucky at this stage compared to many other hippies whose recovery is complicated by multiple health problems, two bad hips etc, but wanted to say to those at the beginning of recovery, or pre-op - things really do improve surprisingly quickly.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom