Guest viewing is limited

THR Bettifloss is now an old hippy

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bettifloss @TerryCloth -- Look at this link - https://www.amazon.com/Avana-Back-Wedge-Bamboo-Cover/dp/B011WDHDTE/?tag=ate362da-20
Bettifloss can tell you exactly what she bought, buy I'm sleeping in a lift chair / electric recliner that almost goes flat (head is still raised slightly). The position sort of simulates a hospital bed with the head up. To me, it's much easier to fall asleep in that position than to lie flat (which I tried the first two nights, and about 3 a.m. the 2nd night, sat up in bed and declared this was a pain in the *** and I needed to sleep some other way. I went out to the recliner and went back to sleep.)
Back in the fall, when I knew I was having surgery, hubby decided I needed a new recliner, so we spent a day shopping, looking at what was available. Me being the fussy one, I didn't want a monstrous piece of furniture in the living room, or a fake leather fabric, etc etc. (He would have bought the first thing we saw and gone back home). Anyway, I found a catnapper brand chair, it helps raise you up to get up, lays back like a recliner - with the press of a button. When I told my hospital nurse I had the chair, her reaction: "Oh, you don't want that. It will make you lazy!" ha ha. The sleeping part is fabulous as for head elevation, etc. As for getting up without breaking 90ยบ - it really helps with that (used it a lot the first 4 days) then find myself starting this week just putting the chair back to sitting position and getting up without raising it.)
 
My wedge came from a local shop but it is like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aidapt-VG884-Foam-Bed-Wedge/dp/B007M9G6IW?tag=ate362da-21

I second the recliner idea though - I had one already in the kitchen diner area (bought originally for my 93 year old auntie) and am using it all day - I would have slept in it at night too except it is a long way upstairs to the nearest loo!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth This is the foam wedge I'm using. I will continue to use it even after recovery as I like a slight elevation when I sleep or I will pass it over to the husband who tends to snore on occasion. What is good about this wedge is its sheer size. Big enough to actually prop the entire upper body on along with a pillow. My therapist suggested against anything that might impinge or crease my body at the hip joint. Because this one is wide and has a slight incline my body stays much flatter on the wedge yet I get the advantage of elevation, thus be careful of the height of the incline the 12" height as it may be too high. This one is 7-1/2" incline. I have a king size bed and it has plenty of room. Reviews say it works well on a queen also. It would be perfect on a twin size and should cover the entire head area. Nice for TV watching from a sofa. Hope this helps. Julie d.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=...dge+pillow&sprefix=foam+wedge&tag=ate362da-20


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This morning's discovery...if you really want to, when there's no-one else around, and the cat has refused to go outside on a frosty morning...it is perfectly possible to clean out a cat litter tray using a grabber stick without breaking the ninety degree rule!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - Clever use of a grabber stick! Made me laugh. I actually ordered a long handled cat litter scooper before my surgery from Amazon called the Purrr-fect Scoop. It works really well without breaking the ninety degree rule. Hope you have a wonderful day! :SUNsmile:
 
Silly me, didn't know long handle litter scoop even existed! Off to google it now...

Just got back from longest walk so far, to see my Auntie in her care home. It's a fantastic home, but it does make you think hard about making the most of the next (hopefully!) thirty years, starting with keeping mobile...feeling very fortunate that our generation can have surgery such as THR, in the hopes of a more active old age.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
This morning's discovery...if you really want to, when there's no-one else around, and the cat has refused to go outside on a frosty morning...it is perfectly possible to clean out a cat litter tray using a grabber stick without breaking the ninety degree rule

LOL. I hadn't thought of that use for the grabber yet, but every day I seem to discover a new use for it! (This morning was picking up kernels of popcorn off the kitchen floor. My husband just looks at me like I'm crazy.)
 
This morning's discovery...if you really want to, when there's no-one else around, and the cat has refused to go outside on a frosty morning...it is perfectly possible to clean out a cat litter tray using a grabber stick without breaking the ninety degree rule!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
'Necessity is the mother of invention' :) Boy, we sure find that out post THR, don't we? :wink:
 
@TerryCloth - I am not using a special pillow wedge. When I first signed up for surgery and came home and let DH know, his response was that we needed to purchase a new chair/recliner for the event. After I proved that I really couldn't exit from the recliner without breaking the 90 degree rule, we went out shopping and bought a lift chair. After surgery, The middle of the 2nd night home, I woke up with that 'turtle stuck on his back' feeling and then moved out to the recliner chair to sleep- and that's where I've been ever since.

I'm using various pillows to prop up my leg / legs while I sleep- and that's an ongoing experiment too. If my ankle / foot doesn't sit right (or rests too much on the heel) the tendon on top of my foot gets a cramp in it. If I wake up often and do my ankle flex exercises, it's not a problem. But lately I've been sleeping 4-5 hours at a time and wake up - adjust the chair angle, move my butt around, then go back to sleep.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Readysetgo - I would have never thought of a long handled poop scoop either, DH said he'd clan out the litter box while I was an 'invalid'-- but he just now volunteered to order one. Isn't he sweet?? :-p


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Snowy here today, so a very cautious trip out to walk around the supermarket. Thrilled how much sleep I'm getting now, thanks to 'the wedge' and perhaps also just getting used to sleeping position, getting meds out of the system, etc. To all those going through the first week of horrible sleepless nights, take heart, it really does get better in week two.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
A day of 'firsts' today:

First outings by car - to my walking group (just for coffee!), and then to art club in the evening - lovely to see all my friends and feel like I am getting my pre-op life back.

First use of the sheewee to avoid a low toilet seat! Thankfully no accidents. A happy solution to one of life's little challenges.

First attempt to do without dressing (bandage) on incision - a bit less successful, as although it is well closed and not at all inflamed, it seemed a bit irritated by direct contact with my knicker elastic (wearing Bridget Jones style big knickers). Ended by putting a fresh dressing on, though shouldn't really be needed now. Ladies, anyone found their knickers (sorry, US friends, I mean panties) annoying? I think I'm a bit old to get used to a thong, though i suppose it would work....or go commando? Sacrifice a few pairs and trim off the elastic edging? French knickers? Or grin and bear it?



Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - LOL! I can only picture you with your Bridget Jones knickers, ha ha. I vote you go for the French knickers and take a couple photos so we can get a good idea of your issues. :rotfl: I have yet to wear normal clothes (except the day before the bandage came off - and that day my pants felt tight on the incision (and now I know it's due to the swelling in the area - not my weight, or at least I hope that what it is, because as soon as those pants were removed, I felt normal again). The first day without the bandage, the incision felt 'sticky' - like it could stick to my panties, but since then I've not really noticed it ( I'm not wearing 'armpit underwear" - as I call Bridge's attire...:heehee: ) I'm still dressing in either sweat pants or workout pants (stretchy cloth), so there is nothing tight that rubs against the stitches. So is the incision area sensitive to touch? painful?

Today was my third trip in the car and I've pretty much gotten the flop, spin and lift movements down, although I think it's still a nuisance to get in and out like that. I rode with DH up to our office - he to pick up an incoming Amazon box - me to sign a few checks / papers for our HOA Association and see how everything was going.
 
Oh @bettifloss - these are the trials we must deal with! Are you in UK? I swear by M&S. Get the really soft stretchy ones with invisible elastic for no visible panty line. Then the edge will be gentle on the scar.
[Bonesmart.org] Bettifloss is now an old hippy



Siobhan
RTHR 25 November 2015
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CatLady1, @shiv01, thank you! Its not exactly painful, but there is a definite elastic-caused indent along the panty line that doesn't feel comfortable and I don't want it to become any worse than that, especially with the amount of walking that I am starting to do. I am seeing the physio to have my scar checked on Thursday, re starting hydrotherapy, and want to present myself with no dressing and a model scar, so as to be told I am Ok for the hydro pool (though it won't be for at least another week).

Off to the M and S website now...there is always the danger of buying more than knickers! US ladies, you don't know what you are missing....


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss thanks for positive note on sleeping better week two. Sleep is better for me now than pre-op but still a long way from "restful sleep". Love the knickers thread! Luckily many of my undies are a size too big! The new ones that actually fit are not currently being worn much!
 
@shiv01, m and s high leg microfibre knickers duly bought. I love that an Irishwoman living on the other side of the world is available on this forum to give me knicker advice.

Great day today - got a lift to stables to see my horse for the first time in two weeks (I missed him, but being a horse I don't think he missed me!). Then saw all my pals at painting class, and a walk to M and S to buy knickers. Resisted the temptation to buy anything else....and hubby took the bins out, think he is finally getting the hang of the recycling system!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom