Guest viewing is limited

THR Bettifloss is now an old hippy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh @bettifloss .... You are doing great so soon after your surgery. Hope you have find some relief with your knickers problem. I found going commando was the best option for me. It also made it a whole lot easier when it was time to use the "loo". One less piece of clothing to maneuver down...
I also used a wedge in my bed, along with about eight other pillows to build my nest and from the first night home, I was sleeping through the night. Wishing you continued improvement!
:flwrysmile:
 
@bettifloss, it sounds like you're doing so wonderfully! I am so happy for you! :)
I am in agreement with Nana about going without knickers. Even now at 16 and 8 weeks post op, when I do wear them, they tend to irritate my incisions just a bit.
Keep up the great work!
 
Thanks guys, amazing the the words of wisdom on matters large and small that you can find on this forum! Settled on the high-leg microfibre briefs which seem to be working well - not my usual cover-up style but seems to work, letting the flabby thigh be free! Lovely sunny day here so lots of walking - just realised my two-weekiversary was yesterday - amazed how much has changed and improved in a week - today was first time baking cakes since the op - not sure if you have rock cakes in the US but they are the easiest thing to make.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss That funny about your knickers, I have the exact same problem. I'm anterior and all my knickers leg elastic sits right in the middle of my very tender incision. I just cant go without its just too drafty, so I hitch them right up on the Op leg.. Its very Harry High Pants look :rofsign:
 
@bettifloss- what are rock cakes? We might have them in the US, but not by that name (says she who ventures into the kitchen at random...)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Rock Cakes in Aust, are hard fruit style buns or a bigger crumbly cookie. Rough in appearance in cooking class in high school it was one of the first things you learn to bake. not sure if its the same thing..
 
@CatLady1, @Shazzstars, rock cakes, pretty much as Shazzstars says, buns shaped like rocks, very irregular. My Mum was an Aussie and she also made them. Should not be rock hard though, unless overcooked. Like Shazzstars it was one of the first things I made in school, but they seem to be having a bit of a comeback. And anyone in the UK who went to school in the 1960s is guaranteed to fall on them with cries of 'ooh rock cakes, when did I last see those!'. Since I have walking/running group meeting at my house today, I thought it would be a good and very easy thing to make. 350g plain flour, 175g butter, 175g caster sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, rubbed in together like pastry, good handful dried fruit eg sultanas, tsp mixed spice, mix with an egg and a bit of milk, plonk in rocky mounds on a baking tray, bake in a medium oven for about 20 mins.

Friend with a broken femur is in walking/running group so we are going for a crutch-crawl together today while rest of group scuttles off without us. We all used to be joggers, not walkers, but time has taken its toll on the members and now it as much a walking group as a running group. Always a great support to each other when things are not going well, and a laugh a minute!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss I feel like making them now, might do it tomorrow.
I used to run with quite a it group but as my hip deteriorated I stopped but once I'm crutchless I'll be the the walking queen. Hahaha. Maybe not a queen. I used to love the group is talk the legs of a chair.
 
Oh my goodness, that sounds awful. And were you all the time trying to follow the ninety degree rule? Surely that's not possible...?

With a view to managing unruly toilets, I have acquired a 'shewee' so I can pee standing. Should come in handy later when hiking. Only attempt at practice so far (preop) resulted in success in aiming at toilet but total failure in holding knickers out of the way...very soggy experience, fortunately at home. Only then did I notice that in the instructions it advises you to practice in the shower....think i need to master it before I end up trying drop and stand!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning @bettifloss - dying to know how you got on with the Sheewee? :goodpost:We're in Derbyshire and Peak walks are now a thing of the distant past, but when they were I could have done with one of them!
 
@Miss Muffet - sheewee is great, can thoroughly recommend it. Practice at home first as main challenge is holding pants out of the way with one hand while managing sheewee with the other (do not try unless you are stable without crutches!). Now I have got the hang of it, it will be coming with me on hiking trips in the future, much more discreet than looking for a big bush to hide behind


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - whooppee, so this gadget could be invaluable afterwards :friends:. We have ridiculous plumbing (designed by God, who was, incidentally a bloke) it is SO inconvenient. Taking grandson out in the car is never a problem so long as there's an empty coke bottle, but never that easy with grandaughter - we've parked up and irrigated many a gutter as a result. Keep up the good work - you'll soon be high kicking :dancy: xx
 
Good appointment with physio yesterday, it was really supposed just to be to clear me for hydrotherapy in two weeks time but he spent a full half hour with me, assessed range of motion and gave me three new (gentle) exercises, looked at my walking with and without crutches and said I was pretty much limp-free (when thinking about it!) so came away very happy.

Physio said to rub olive oil, E45, or bio-oil on the scar, which is completely pain free but weirdly crunchy textured - i think there must a be a fair bit of glued-up skin left to shed! Will try that today. What do folks on here use to rub on scar?

Celebrated by going round to a walking group friend's for a glass of wine (don't worry folks, not taking any heavy-duty painkillers). So much for healthy lifestyle. There were at least four people there talking about their FitBits - apparently you can do a ridiculous number of steps just doing housework...I think I would rather walk outside than wash dishes though....


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be surprised at the steps you take (or don't take) just moving around the house. I really think the whole point of the Fitbit is "don't be a couch potato". Just going to my OS appointment today, then lunch, was 500 more steps than yesterday where I made it a point to do some walking outside. Today I wasn't trying to get steps.. and I really wasn't trying to add up the steps. It was a normal day as far as get in the car, go to Dr. appt, park in the parking garage, walk to the elevator then to OS office, return, go find a place eat lunch, etc.

As far as what to put on a scar @bettifloss -- last scar I had I put Mederma on it - somewhat expensive OTC scar remover purchased at the drug store. My hippy scar is healed now, but I feel like it's early to be putting anything on it. A friend advised I use Coconut Oil. I haven't really decided. I'm not convinced Mederma worked any magic.
 
Thanks for that CatLady, intrigued now so have downloaded Steps app for my phone just to try, still trying to make it work though...

Not sure if we have Mederma in UK, off to google it. Coconut oil seems to be recommended for everything - someone was telling me the other day that it is delicious on toast, so I could get some and spread it on my breakfast, then on my scar!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
What do folks on here use to rub on scar?
Don't put anything on it. Let nature do it's thing! Your scar will heal very nicely on its own it a very faint, thin line.
 
My Mederma treated scar ended up being a fine line... when people say it would have ended up that way without the Mederma, it makes me drag my feet about doing anything. I guess after a while, the 2nd scar, 3rd scar... it's a "whatever" response. I"m wondering if I'll have to get my knee and elbow done, just so I have a continuous line up and down the right side of my body??? :scare:
 
All going well here, thought I would share a dog training tip. Got my second dog, the young bouncy one, back from the home boarder last night - she has been away longer than the older steady dog, as she is very excitable and jumpy and quite a big dog (lab collie cross). Anyway, I have found that if I squeal 'GET OFF' really really loudly and truly mean it because I don't want to be hurt (as opposed to my usual calm 'gerroff ') dog is actually shocked into obedience and stops thinking I might be a trampoline. Enjoying having her back, will be another three weeks before cleared to walk the two dogs without help, but looking forward to putting them in the car and going off to our favourite woods and rivers.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - yikes that would make me really nervous.
We had a border collie - gorgeous temperament . Must be lovely to be reunited
You'll soon be out walking them again - but meanwhile "GET DOWN SHEP!!" :doggie:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom