TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

You and I are pretty close in our surgery times and I will agree that things are still settling down, even at 17 months post-op. 95% of the time I don't notice any pain or problems during my every day life. I did noticed the other day while kneeling on the couch to reach the blinds behind to open them that my left knee is still a bit tender in parts. Nothing major but definitely not completely pain-free like the right. It's probably why I'm not too excited about kneeling on it too much yet, even with a pad. I know it will resolve in time as it did with my right.
 
Thought I would share an interesting development at 20 months post-op:

Last week, I started to have "zingers" again -- mostly at night -- which seemed odd since it's been a year or more since I experienced them. Today I realized that I have some sensation back in a long-numb area on the lateral side of my surgical knee!

Aren't our bodies amazing. :yay:
 
Thought I would share an interesting development at 20 months post-op:

Last week, I started to have "zingers" again -- mostly at night -- which seemed odd since it's been a year or more since I experienced them. Today I realized that I have some sensation back in a long-numb area on the lateral side of my surgical knee!

Aren't our bodies amazing. :yay:
That IS interesting. I'm at six months past right TKR and noticed the other day I had some zingers in my knee. I haven't had them for a long time, but thought - oh yippee - I'm still healing. Yes, our bodies are amazing.
 
I am 7 years out and occasionally get zingers. Of course, I've had 6 surgeries on this knee through the years and have lots of numbness areas. My long-running zingers are proof that it takes a long time to heal from these surgeries!
 
Thanks for posting this update.
I don't think my numb patch has changed in the last month and my zingers have reduced to very occasionally at 7 months.
But it is hopeful if they can still occur at 20 months.
 
After my first hip surgery, I had a numb spot on my thigh about the size of my hand. After a year or so it had shrunk just a little. After about two years, I realized it had faded away. I’m guessing it will be similar for the numb spot on my knee, but only time will tell. I’ve been lucky so far with the zingers :fingersx: …only had them several times during one day!
 
Happy second year an-knee-versary to my Right Knee!

As I've posted before, I continue to notice small changes and improvements even now -- 24 months post-op. The knee is doing so well that I finally scheduled an appointment with my surgeon for next month to discuss tackling Leftie!

To all who are struggling through the early days of recovery: it does get better with time, so don't give up.
 
Happy Second Kneeaversary!!! :loveshwr: Two years went by fast!!!
 
Hi everyone -

Just returned from 3 weeks in Greece and I am happy to report that my new (2+year old) right knee performed beautifully scrambling up and down the rocky cliffs of the Aegean islands.

Leftie, on the other hand, hasn't stopped complaining :tantrum: -- so it is time to schedule an appointment with my OS for surgery on knee #2.
 
Glad that Rightie is being good, sorry that Leftie is being a problem child. :sad:
 
Sounds like you had a great time in Greece, benne.
Sorry, Leftie, is acting up after all of that excitement. Lots of comfort to you!
@benne68
 
AH Greece - I am so glad you had an incredible trip! Our nephew and his wife, a Greek national, are both PhD archeologists, and run tours in ancient Greek history, dappled with mythology! @benne68 I hope leftie gives you a little space until you and your OS can decide the when and where!!
 
It sounds like a lovely vacation!!!
 
Well, I saw my OS this week and the X-rays show that I'm bone-on-bone in the medial compartment of my left knee, so.... we've agreed the time has come for my Left TKR.

Just waiting for a call from the scheduler with a surgery date! Hoping to get in before year-end so I can start 2024 on the healing side. :fingersx:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom