TKR Beachy in recovery<

@Josephine
The actual unit is not under the cuff. No need for that. It sits alongside me separate, but connected to the wires and electrodes. No fried Beachy :yikes:. I wish you could see the user manual! I wish I could, too. It's about 4 inches long and the print is so small that glasses won't help. And it has many little pages. All in different languages. I figured it out though. I had one that I used til it stopped working.
Thanks for looking out for me!
 
@beachy. Schpooko here I am good thanks for asking. I almost went to the ODIC club over the weekend, just at the edge. Caught myself beforehand. I want to know how are you doing? Just checking up on you please post when you can with an update... Schpooko
 
Oh No ….. I am so sorry you are feeling bad again. Hope you get better soon with lots of rest, elevation & icing. Did you call your surgeon?
 
@schpooko .
The aftermath of this trip to the ODIC is not leaving anytime soon. I couldn't help it though with Hubs getting sick.

Tomorrow I'm 10 weeks and getting discouraged. I thought I'd be feeling better than this. Still trying to rest the knee in between taking care of hubs and walking the dog. I can't get my leg straight and have pain in back of knee. Yikes!

I guess it will just take time to undo what I did.
Thanks for checking up on me!

@MissViv18 .
I have not called my surgeon. Going to give it a little more time. It has to go away soon, right?
 
So sorry to hear about your hubby and the toll it's taking on you and your baby knee. I'm glad he's getting better...try to rest as best you can! :console2:
 
Hope things improving for you both. If it’s any consolation I’ve not had any extra to deal with In the the way of poorly husbands or dogs and am still struggling with pain and stiffness . Let’s hope for a pain free New Year !
 
@beachy I am so sorry you are struggling. Please don’t let this get you down. A life situation set you back a bit but it Will get better. Please don’t “should” on yourself. At 10 weeks you are exactly where you are supposed to be for Your recovery on Your knee. There are no schedules and as you know this process is not linear. I find it is easier if I think about a single thing that has gotten better this week. You and your husband continue to be in my prayers.
 
It's about 4 inches long and the print is so small that glasses won't help.
Oh I've had manuals like that! But sometimes you can find an online version.


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Pain level 2-3 when walking, standing. No pain when off my feet.

2. I take an occasional oxycodone 5mg. Maybe 3x week. I haven't asked for any pain meds. The oxy is left over from last month. Extra strength Tylenol 1000mg 3x day.

3. Swelling is moderate. It was never as swollen as huge pic.

4. Flexion at least 125. Extension was +4. I can get my hand completely under knee now so I'm estimating its +10 or a bit less.

5. Yes, I'm icing. 1 hour about 5x day.

6. Elevating while icing. 1 hour 5x day.

7. Housework, not much. Tidying kitchen, washing dishes. Cooking 2 meals day. Fetching hubs meals and snacks. Walking dog 5x day, very short business trips only. Shopping for groceries. Today my son went with me for groceries...big help. No other shopping. I'm limiting any unnecessary chores or outings.


8. No exercises. I think I get enough taking care of husband and dog. When I think of it I push knee into flat surface using quad muscles. MAYBE 3x day for 5 reps. I don't keep track of it.

Thank you, Josephine. I'm interested in your reply.
 
2. I take an occasional oxycodone 5mg. Maybe 3x week. I haven't asked for any pain meds. The oxy is left over from last month. Extra strength Tylenol 1000mg 3x day.
I did ask for 'how much and how often'?
 
@Josephine
If I take the oxycodone it's not on a regular basis. 5mg maybe 3x a week at the most.
For example, I took 1 5mg tablet today before grocery shopping today. I don't foresee another in the near future.
Is that what you are asking?
And, today was a better day. Thank the Lord!
 
This is just crazy.
Today I woke up in miserable pain. Couldn't bend knee. It's the left side all the way down leg to knee. Very little bend with pain and forget extension. Iced, elevated, tylenoled. Still hurts like a :censored:. Then I put the heating pad on the side of leg and knee. Not on the knee. A little relief. And PT is seeing me at 1 today to assess. My guess is IT band. Today. Who knows what tomorrow it will be.
 
I think all your recent duties are just catching up with you. You are still very early in a recovery that takes an average of a year.

This is not a good day for a PT assessment. They will come up with all kinds of “you should do...” when what you most likely need is more downtime to elevate and rest your knee, which you can’t really do a lot of with your current circumstances. :console2:
 
And, we had quite a rain system go through yesterday and last night and still this morning. It’s amazing what that did to my knee in the earlier months. :blackcloud:
 
Best PT in the world.
My regular gal was off and today I got the owner of the company.

I have strained/sprained the lateral and medial head of the left gastrocnemius calf muscle. Say that 10x real fast. And a very tight IT band. I'm back in pt 3x /week for next 2 weeks. From too much walking on weak muscles. Aka ODIC.

He was a little concerned at first because every time I moved a certain way it was painful. Scared me when he asked if I spoke with OS about it. Soon as he started poking back of knee....bingo! Ice, rest, gentle stretching.
He said my rom is 117 flex 4 extension. Same as when I stopped pt. He was not concerned.
Very relieved this will right itself.
 
@Jockette
He was right on in his diagnosis. He kept feeling around for the painful spot. I about jumped off the table when he found it. He showed me images of the muscle on his computer and thoroughly explained everything and the treatment plan.
I wasn't sure if I should ice or use heat. Should I walk or stay off my feet. Should I stretch or not. So glad he got right to the heart of it. I need to ice the area and not over do. There are light chores I can do, but rest in between.

OMG that rain!
After it cleared this morning the sun is out and in the 60's. Go figure. Do you think your knee is feeling better lately???? Hope so.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom