TKR Beachy in recovery<

Inching towards week 8 on Thursday.

I slept on my side all night for the first time and it felt fine when I woke.I

I can do more around the apartment. Getting things organized that have been a mess. Packing some stuff for the move. Not lifting and taking many breaks. It feels good mentally and physically to be more active.

Hubs is working all week so I take Tootsie out several times. And none of this activity has put me in the ODIC.
Tomorrow I will attempt a few items at the grocery store. On the Mr Magoo motorized cart. Doesn't the grocery store seem ginourmous after tkr?

Hang in there all of you in early post op days. It does get better. Slowly.
 
@SusieShoes .
If I go tomorrow the kids will be in school and safe. LOL
I wonder if there has been a lawsuit over the things you mentioned?
I'm taking my chances. No way can I walk Wegmans.
It boggles my mind that you could shop at 4 weeks and with btkr! Your recovery was beyond amazing.
 
Any liability is probably covered by the store insurance... but Mr. Shoes wasn’t taking chances! :snork:

I did have a great recovery. That said, I didn’t walk far on that first grocery trip. Just picked up the produce and a pack of chicken thighs. The rest of the trip I sat out on a bench near check-out and posting on BoneSmart. :heehee: Moderation is the way to go. By not overdoing things, recovery goes much more smoothly.
 
@Jockette
That had to be depressing. I pray you get the whole thing resolved in 2019. That's going to be your year!
I haven't been to Longwood, but would love to go. It's close to me. I couldn't walk it for 1 1/2 years pre op. Maybe when we come back to the area to visit our son. I should be an excellent cart driver by then!
 
You're right @SusieShoes . The stores wouldn't have the carts without insurance. Especially if there was a malfunction that wasn't driver error. Then that would be on the manufacturer,too. Oh geez. Too many Law and Order shows. And Judge Judy :rotfl:
 
@beachy I did drove today and I was worried for nothing. It was fine. And I used the motorized cart in the store. Those are just so much fun. I always pause and let other people get out of my way before I go passed them. I don't want to knock into someone or the displays (which I don't know why they put those in the aisles anyway).

I looked at the calendar and I had my surgery on Oct. 1... So one weeks is the 8th, then 15, 22, 29, Nov. 5, 12, 18 and today is the 28th which marks 8 weeks for me. Now for you...you had surgery on Oct. 11th so one week is 18th, 25, Nov. 1, 8, 15 and 22. So this Thursday, November 29th is starts your 7th week. I think I am counting, right aren't I?

Does your knee get affected by the weather? Today mine was sore, I was wondering how does your knee hold up with the cold rain, etc..? I woke up stiff this a.m. more than usually so that is why I asking...

Well take care and keeping on moving on... Schpooko
 
Oh it was something to see lol. My poor daughter had to put it all back off the floor. Now it's the family joke when I get on a cart. As far as the time it died..a nice Walmart associate went and got me another one..daughter was a couple of aisles over and I had left my phone at home. It's like the life alert commercials ...'I've stalled and cant get up":rotfl:
 
I've used the scooter carts to grocery shop and really like them because they speed up the process and alleviate pain. They do have some drawbacks. You will have to maneuver to a standing position in order to reach items on the upper shelves. At times I had to dismount in order to reach an item, and dismounting is tricky. And I too have run out of battery mid-shop. Finally, the basket wasn't always big enough to hold everything I needed, particularly if we needed packs of toilet paper and paper towels. Sometimes my husband and I would divide and conquer, me going after smaller items and him, with the big cart, getting the bulkier items. I never knocked anything over or ran into anyone.
 
This motorized cart topic has taken on a life of its own! Love it!

@schpooko
Congrats on driving! So happy you didn't have a problem!
Yes, you counted right. I'm starting week 7 on Thursday. And you're 10 days ahead of me.

And yes, this weather killed my knee today. I was hurting when I went to pt. I walked the dog 3x in this mess though not far.....just enough so she could take care of business. I thought I overdid it then realized it could be the rain and cold. Told therapist how knee was swollen and painful. She did the ultrasound and a great massage. Then I was able to ride bike, do a few exercises no reps. The electric stim and ice were great. I felt better when I left! And all evening I've had very little pain. Happy dance!

@Txmomgmom3 I
:rofsign:I've stalled and I can't get up!

@Motherbone
I just need a few items and I can stand to reach them. It's just that they're spread out in the huge Wegmans so I need the cart. Hubs can't get what I need. I have to read labels. Ugh. It's a pain, but keeps my gut in check.

Have a good evening everone!
 
@Jockette, @beachy, I can't believe you two are talking about Longwood Gardens....my 42 yr old son went there this weekend with a friend and loved it!!!
He rode the train from NYC to Delaware (2 hrs). They spent the night in Delaware and took a taxi to Longwood Gardens the next day. I'll try and post some of his pictures.
 
Hi Cementless! That is crazy! I've never been, but it's suppose to be a great trip. I'm about an hour south.
Hope you're doing well. I need to catch up on your thread.
 
I used the motorized carts for about a month in Walmart. I wasn't driving yet, so I had to wait until a friend could take me. Then the store was always busy. My biggest problem was the people walking out right in front of me when I was driving. It's like I was invisible. Now, when I see someone in one of those carts, I give them the right of way! I remember what it felt like to be ignored.
 
Oh @beachy !
Stumbled across your thread and jumped in on the motorized carts and it brought back memories of my learning curve with them! First time ever using them I was putt putting along and picked up a pack of paoertowelling which didn’t fit the basket so I just held it while steering. As I prepared to pull off I heard a beeping sound like the forklifts in the store when they are moving flats and thought I’d best stay put and wait rather than cause a crash pulling forward so I settled in and I waited.
And waited...
And waited....

Finally 3min later an employee came over, smiled and lifted the pack of towels ... which was sitting on my cart horn.
:heehee:

I used my crutches ever since
 
@beachy I've been using the motorized carts off and on for several years now as needed. Thankfully, right now I no longer need to use one....:fingersx: Anyway, they don't go that fast so it's hard to hit someone, unless you really try hard.....:heehee: They do have horns, plus they beep when backing. I've never had one run out of charge in the middle of a store that I remember, but they have charge meters on them, so always check the charge before using them. I have also had fun with them a time or two-one time late at night the store was all but deserted so my daughter and I decided to have cart races and had a blast. The employees just smiled as we raced on by around the store since there was no one around to run down in our play. :rotfl: Granted, our racing wasn't that fast but we did have fun. Practice in an open area at your store for a minute or two to get the hang of the thing and you'll be fine.
 
The cart saga continues LOL!

@sistersinhim .
I'm gluten free, lactose free, among other things. I need certain specialty items that the local Wegmans carries.
Hubs went to pick up a few items for me on Sunday. It was a madhouse with post thanksgiving and football parties. He was furious about the inconsiderate people. Everybody was in a rush to get nowhere. He said the worst was a lady in a cart that could barely move because people wouldn't let her through.
I always ask people in motor carts if I can get them anything from a higher shelf. It won't be a busy Sunday when I go.

@traceys .
That's too darn funny!

@lovetocookandsew .
Thanks for the good advice about the meter! I'll be trying one of the carts this week for sure.
 
I walked Hobby Lobby and Bed Bath and Beyond with my cane yesterday! By the afternoon, evening and today....I am a little stiff and sore. Not sure if I over did it but I am taking it easy today!!!
 
@Cementless
I couldn’t do that. The knee aches too much after 20 min or so of being on my feet. And my back doesn’t help either.
If you’re still painful today it sounds like ODIC! At least you got some retail therapy!
Didn’t they have motorized carts? :rotfl:
 
Morning beachy , sounds like you are doing great, I dont think we have motorisd carts here but could only imagine chaos and destruction if I tried to operate one
I am going to try ordering my grocerys on line, and have my Hubby pick them up on his way home
Keep up the great progress :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom