Guest viewing is limited

TKR Beachy in recovery<

I joined it Thursday and will probably join it today. I cant take the chaos that is my unpacked house any longer lol especially when it is now time to decorate for Christmas. I did forgo the annual family Christmas party today (it's a 4 hour trip one way and would have to stay overnight) and I am just not up to it. My plan is to unpack a box and then sit and ice for an hour. At least the kitchen is unpacked!

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and both you and your hubby are feeling better!!
 
It does give peace of mind when the house is in order, doesn't it? Having the kitchen ready to go is awesome.
Not going to the party was a very wise decision. 4 hrs would make the knee feel awful.

I have to start planning our move. The furniture we have is going to my son and we are getting a mover. The rest is going in our cars. Not nearly like your move.
I'm still amazed by your resilience in moving after the flood. Now you have 2 new knees and a new home. I truly wish you and your family the very best!
 
We are planning late Feb. or early March. Our lease is over March 24. It will be easy to move early and not be rushed since we'll be 3 hrs away at the beach condo. We have nothing to do there. Getting the apartment cleaned out is the big job and we'll have the extra time to come back and finish that.
 
I feel for you both. We're in the process of doing a few things to our house before selling it and moving. While I'm looking forward to finding, and buying, a larger home with less yard, I'm dreading the packing, moving and unpacking. We won't be using movers this time as we'll be basically in the same area, so we'll have friends and family help. Last time (nearly 20 years ago!) we used movers and it was so easy as they pack, transport and unload everything. They would also have unpacked the boxes but I declined as I'd rather do that myself. Anyway, I don't envy you the work so soon and hope all goes well.
 
We’ve moved kind of a lot. We’re in our 10 th home in 42 years. Moving was much easier when we were younger, and we didn’t use professional movers in those days!

We had professional movers with the last 2 moves. I hope I stay in my current house for a long time!
 
There isn't much here at the apartment once the furniture is moved to our son. We have all our summer clothing and fully stocked kitchen at the condo already. We're going for a week in Dec and will take a bunch of stuff then. Living like gypsies now LOL. Big TV is on 2 chairs since we sold tv stand. This will be like a 1/4 move :loll:.
 
Because I'm on a specialized diet I need groceries that are different from hubs. He's been doing his best, but now I need to shop because the cupboard is getting bare. I stocked up pre op. I know I can't walk the grocery store yet. But, I'm willing to try the motorized cart. Had anyone grocery shopped in the cart? Or popped wheelies? :heehee: .And hubs will be with me with the full size cart.
 
It will be nice to be at the beach all the time.

I have never seen the ocean with snow on the beach. I’d like to see that. In January of 2016 we had a blizzard here in Delaware (i was surprised they categorized it as a blizzard, as we didn’t have any in Ohio the 7 years we were there) and a couple of days later we drove down to Lewes to see the ocean and snow. Lewes had only gotten rain out of the storm. There was no snow. I was so sad. We probably just had lunch somewhere and came home.
 
@Jockette
Last Dec dumped a foot of snow on OC! The condo was being renovated....a complete gut. I was so worried the snow would shut down the crew. But, it only put them 1 day behind. There were pics in the paper. I bet you could find them online.
We had no snow at all that day here at the apartment.
Our contractor said the town has 2 snow plows as they rarely get snow.
Nor'easters...that's another story. I've been there during a few.
 
We didn’t get that snow here either.
 
Md Coast Dispatch online. Local paper. Look in archives. They had lots of pics. That's the only way we got to see it.
 
Hi, @beachy.. Schpooko, here. Glad you are doing well. As far as your grocery cart question, I have used them and I like them. The first time I used one, before surgery bad knee day. I was destructive (not intentionally) LOL!!! Going in reverse took some getting used to because I was holding down the arm (or whatever you call it) too much. It is fun though. I am going shopping tomorrow and I am going to drive for the first time. My son's car not the truck. So let's see how that feels. I am a bit scared. How was driving for you the first time? Weird? How did it feel?

Take care, Schpooko
 
@schpooko Just done my first drives this week. Longest was 10mins. Wouldn't like to go further cus changing gear puts pressure on left knee. Felt v weird at first but getting to feel more normal now. Live on my own so needed to be able to drive just for provisions . Getting in the driver's seat is a bit of a challenge cus my ROM isn't that good yet.Hope you manage it OK. Good luck.
 
I use the electric carts right now and with the first tkr. I do ok but have noticed some stores carts are faster than others :heehee:. Kroger's are super fast..just ask the pre cooked bacon display I took out 2 weeks ago:rotfl:. Double check the charge too...I was on one at Walmart last time that died in the middle of the store.
 
Yea for feeling better. But take it slow with any food consumption - your tummy has been through a lot!!

As for the motorized carts each store has a different one. Pull forward, push backward, I was forever going in reverse when I meant to go forward. Be prepared to giggle at yourself and you'll be fine. As for store displays, they are a hazard and leap in front of you - I've seen it!!!
 
Holy moly! The motorized carts! Does anyone remember the cartoon Mr. Magoo? That's how I picture my first time driving one. And yes, @Txmomgmom3 I'm worried about it losing charge in middle of store. What did you do? OMG so funny about the bacon!

@schpooko .....I had LTKR so driving is fine. I don't use that leg at all. I haven't gone too far. Honestly, if it were my right knee I don't know if I could. Can you practice in a parking lot first?
 
Mr. Shoes wouldn’t let me use a motorized cart. At four weeks we went to the grocery store and I said, “Look! Carts!” He said, “No way. No how. I’d rather carry you.” He’s a lawyer and foresaw no end of possible liability: hitting people, knocking over end-caps or displays, running over a small child, hitting carts in the aisles, causing things to crash off the shelves onto me or someone else... it was a formidable list of possibilities.

I walked.
 
I found driving uncomfortable for a long time, even though it was my left leg. My leg never liked the angle sitting in the driver seat, but it was ok in the passenger seat. I used to put my hand on my operated knee and hold it when I drove, and the discomfort was distracting.

I never used the motorized carts in the stores because I didn’t have enough bend for a long time to sit in one, plus I’d never used one before and wasn’t in the mood to figure it out.

Have you ever been to Longwood Gardens? I went there recently and for the first time did rent one of their scooters. It was bittersweet, while it was kind of fun, it was depressing that 20 months post op I needed something like that that I never needed before surgery.
 
@SusieShoes Only a lawyer would think of allllll those possibilities!

The little walking was good for you anyway. That’s what I figured when I walked instead of using a cart.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom