TKR Beachy in recovery<

@Bismitmom1 .
Wow....good luck on the long drive. You will definitely need a break at some point! Can you attach an ice pack to your knee while driving?
Let us know how it was and Happy Thanksgiving!
 
OMG. A stomach virus.
I had to cancel my 6week appt today. Hubs actually had to finish the call as I ran/ hobbled to the bathroom.
Has this happened to any one else during recovery?
I took some Immodium and praying for it to go away. All those trips to the bathroom count as pt for the day!

Enough already. What's next? Locusts, pestilence, frogs?
 
Hi, Beachy... Sorry to learn you have a stomach bug. It's always something. Take care of yourself and rest.

Schpooko
 
Oh no. You are definitely getting your PT out. I pray your tummy settles down quickly. You need your energy and need to keep your nutrients in your body!
 
Oh no! Stomach trouble is wretched. Feel better soon so you can enjoy your takeout and some pleasant down time. :friends:
 
That sucks. I know I have been dreading getting that winter cold that always seems to find me, andIhope the flue shot keeps me from that dilemma . With cold it was chicken soup, but with stomach virus food probably doesn’t Look that good to you. Hope you have a quick recovery.
 
Hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, everyone.
I'm back among the living.
Good news: I lost 3 lbs.
Bad news: hubs has the bug. But, he bounces back in a day.
Better news: I am able to go all day without pain meds just Tylenol. And the knee feels much better. Had to cancel my post op appt yesterday and cancelled pt for today. The aftermath has me feeling woozy. But, I'm hydrated. Lots of gatorade and jello. And a piece of dry toast.

If anyone else gets a stomach bug while on pain meds here's an interesting tip:
Consult your doc before taking Immodium or any anti-diarrheal meds. I had the foresight to look up the interaction. It's recommended not to take Imodium if on narcotics. I called my doc for clarification and PA said it's more for the constipation effect of narcotics AND an anti -diarrhea med. I took it anyway
( I REALLY needed it) since I'm down to 1x a day at bedtime for pain meds. Maybe I won't even that tonight.
 
Great news that you feeling better. I hope your hubby recoups quickly too! Good news too that no more pain meds for you. I have a bone on bone left knee to baby so I do still take the tramadol for that but I am not doing anything about that knee until it starts barking. And right now it has been quiet. How is your other knee? I hope good.. :goodpost::yahoo:

Keep up the good work and let us know what the OS says at your visit. I have mine next week on the 29th 8 week post op. What are you now? 6 week post op check, right?

Glad you are feeling better and have a Happy Thanksgiving...:dancy::yay::flwrysmile:
 
Very wise to drink Gatorade for the electrolytes, which you lose like mad with diarrhea and/or vomiting. Even better is coconut water--and maybe best in terms of potassium is low salt V-8 juice. But it has to be low salt! Because they use a potassium rich no-salt substitute in it. Potassium supplements are worthless because it's illegal to put too much in them. Low salt V-8 juice is one of the few workarounds for this. But of course you need to replenish regular salts and magnesium too, which are easy.

Check out the percentage of daily potassium statistics on the side of a can or bottle of low salt V-8. It's packed!
 
@schpooko
My right knee is as bad as operated lefty. It was screaming a few days ago but quiet now. Probably because I’ve been sleeping a lot.

New post op appt is Dec 3. Yes, I’m 6 weeks out. Friday starts 7 weeks. 6 weeks started out painful and is ending with a lot less pain. Finally seeing the light at end of tunnel. I hope.

I ate a tiny bit of chicken rice soup. Waiting to see how tummy handles that. Hubs? He ate a cold cut sub! Crazy man! He bounces right back.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving !
 
Yes, @hegel
Gatorade is my go to for this. I really couldn’t stomach the thought of coconut water or V8 even though that makes perfect sense.
How is your recovery going?
 
beachy, I have a history of atrial fibrillation (now controlled) and us affibbers can be strict about our electrolytes, esp. potassium. Potassium is essential for heart muscle health and electrical conduction--I'm not sure about regular muscle regeneration.
How am I doing? funny story: had my first knee class yesterday. My pt is fine, a young guy. I told him I was curious about the bike and he set me on it. Back and forth with the peddles I go and then after five minutes, all the way around, forward and back. Pretty good for four weeks! My pt is unimpressed. And now he wants to manipulate me. And so the discussion begins. We both hold to our guns. My flexion is 110--again,good for four weeks. My extension, not so much--at 9. He starts to threaten me about having to see improvement or there might be a MUA. I explain that my philosophy has been to get the swelling down and manage pain and then--now--start acting more on flexibility. Neither of us back down, but I let him gently manipulate and he gets me to 5. He says, 'I've done thousands of knees' and I tell him 'this is MY first time and I want to see how my knee reacts later so stop when I say. I'll know more next time'. In the end he watches me do all of the rest of the exercises and we reach a rapprochement. I had been doing all of the exercises pre op for months and I ace them. He says, "your philosophy may work after all". As I'm leaving he informs me that my knee (cap?) is moving very well under his hands.

My knee was aggravated a bit last night but not terrible. So now as I always intended I'll kick up my extension exercises and start back on the bike at my gym tomorrow--too smoky today! (fires up north have us in a chokehold).

I feel much better over all but still nap. Ice and elevation still rules! Happy to sleep "alright". It's the first day of week 5 and I hope to wean off oxycodone a bit more if possible this week or next. Two at night and two during the day and night for a total of four, plus ibup. and acet.
 
Morning @beachy so glad you are feeling better nothing worse than feeling ill on top of everything else:flwrysmile:
 
Glad you’re feeling better. Treat your poor tummy gently. I lean toward crackers (graham and saltines) and, like you, appreciate broth and certain flavors of Gatorade. A few days of such fare can sustain a body.

And very happy to read that @hegel is sticking to his guns! I had a similar back and forth going with my PT. Nice guy but needed a tight rein.
 
I made a Pet Smart run today! Drove less than a mile, got what I needed and my knee hurt when I got home. Iced and elevated and fell asleep in recliner. Can’t believe that wore me out!

@hegel
Great report! And I hear ya about Physical Therapists. I had to kiss a few toads to find a great place.

Thanks @gecko
I just read your latest update and so happy you’re doing better! Wonder Woman!!

@SusieShoes
I’m gluten free and have been for years. We didn’t have any gf crackers or bread at the time. We do now! I can’t wait to do my own grocery shopping again. I have IBS-D so when I get hit with tummy virus it tends to linger. I stick to a low fodmap diet and it’s a miracle worker. I’ve strayed from that since surgery and really need to jump back on the wagon.

Happy Thanksgiving Bonesmarties!
 
Hope everyone had a fun Thanksgiving and ate too much!
I'm catching up on reading everybody's threads today.
I briefly joined the ODIC on Thursday. The knee felt the best ever on Thursday morning and carried on until 1:00 pm. Then I was done. Really done!

Went to pt yesterday and therapist babied my swollen knee. I love the new place! She had me stretch on bike.....my favorite. I can go 10 min slowly with full turns, but did much less yesterday. I did more stretching of calves and back of knee. She used sonogram and gel for a long time then massaged.
She measured ROM once over a week ago. My flex looks good by her eyeballing it and she can barely get her hand under the knee. She said extension is < 5 and not to worry, it will come. This is much less stressful!
But, I came home and made dinner and over did it again. I guess when we get to this point we have to see what we can and can't do. Take this knee for a test drive, so to speak. It's parked in the garage for today :rotfl:

Yesterday began week 7. It's so much better than the previous weeks. If I don't do more than I should. I'm raring to go, but :shrug:. I'm icing and elevating a lot today as I pushed myself too much on Thursday and Friday.

All in all week 7 is a big improvement. Hope it is for everyone else ,too.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom