THR BeachGal is back! #2 Done!

Wow:xmark: A new home and a new hip. Lucky you!
Happy Healing as you day dream about your new digs. :wink: Hope this week is a good one.
@beachgal
 
So, it’s been two weeks since my hip #2 replacement surgery and I wanted to post a few thoughts for your reading and for my reference down the road. In no particular order:

I have slept on my nonoperated side with a pillow between my legs for the past six nights. I’ve slept like a baby and really feel that good rest has played a large role in my recovery, physically, and from a brighter, more optimistic outlook.

I have kept ice packs on whatever part of my body is achy or hurting every time I sit or lie down. I love the way the ice settles down the pain, swelling, and it’s not another pill to take.

I removed my compression hose after day 5. They were ordered by my OS for four weeks but after reading many 2022 articles regarding their use, I did not feel that it was necessary for me. I am not advocating doing this except to say that it made me more comfortable without them and I had no real indications that they would benefit me.

I’ve had no swelling, no bruising, and my newly uncovered incision is healed and clean. It is not pulling or itchy. Just a bit of adhesive left to wear off. PT advised me to just let soapy water run over it with no scrubbing and use an alcohol wipe over it daily which will also help with removing the bits of adhesive left from bandage.

My plan from the start was to drive myself home (3 hours away) once I felt confident that I was in a healed-enough state to do it safely. I’ve driven my car the past three days using my right foot for accelerator and brake with no pain or difficulty moving. I’ve started today loading my things into the trunk, light bags, and rest each time I take a load to the car. I plan to top off my tank later this afternoon and the gals at the front desk will help me with my last bags tomorrow before I leave. I’ll stop every hour per my PT to stretch and walk around the car. I have friends and family living all along my route so if I get into a pickle, they’ll be ready to help me.

I feel good today. I feel like I have done my best to have a great recovery and rehab to this point. There is much left to do but I’m ready to finish up at home. The time I’ve spent in this lovely hotel has been as much a contributing factor in my healing as anything. I’ve been quiet, could concentrate only on myself and healing, and I felt safely watched over.

My sisters are bringing in dinner to the hotel tonight so the four of us can visit and share a prayer of thanks for all of our blessings but my recovery in particular. I still echo my previous rants that this surgery is amazing. It’s life-changing. I’m so thankful for my wonderful surgeon. I’m grateful for good health that has enhanced my rehab. I’m also glad that I am not afraid. I wasn’t afraid of the procedure, of showering for the first time, of walking unaided, and I’m not afraid of the drive home alone tomorrow. I truly believe we are not meant to live in fear. Now I’ve walked the walk.

I’ll post again when I get home, see man and dog, and settle in. It will be a joyous reunion. I hope each of us owns our story of recovery and finds those miracles and blessings meant for us. I hope each of you heal and live long active lives because you made the hard choice. My heart is so full of true affection for each of you.

:angel:
 
@beachgal, I'm so pleased to hear about your steady, gentle recovery. It's hard to believe that two weeks ago, we were both in the process of getting new hips and today you're packing up your car and getting ready to head home. Sounds like you have a sensible plan and it's wonderful that you have friends and family nearby to cheer you on. This surgery really is nothing short of a miracle and I'm so grateful we live in a time when it is possible. Looking forward to hearing that you arrived home safely.
 
@beachgal, you have a brilliant attitude. Good luck for your journey, safe travels and I will look forward to hearing all about it.
 
What a beautiful update in so many ways!
Safe travels! Will look forward to hearing from you once you are back home and settled in.
@beachgal
 
Good evening from my coastal home, hubby and pup close by, and I’m really glad to be back.

I woke up early this morning to get everything finished up for packing and checking of the hotel. After I showered and dressed, I made one trip to my car with a tote bag and drove my car around to the loading zone off the lobby. The gals were all busy serving breakfast to a bus load of high school kids on a trip but the manager already had a gentleman waiting to help me with the rest of my gear. He already had moved a luggage cart outside my room and he loaded all the other bags, etc to stash in my car. He was so patient with my slow gait and asked me where I wanted everything placed. He put the bag of ice packs in the front seat where I could reach them. Once I got situated, I headed out with not much traffic. My plan!

Two rest stops along the way with a few stretches and a walk around the car and it took me just about the usual time frame to make the trip. The ankle pumps I had been doing surely helped my ability to move my foot from accelerator to brake pedal with ease.

When I got home, I was pretty tired. After greetings and such, I took a nice long nap with pup next to me. Nice to be home.

Thoughts on the day: Doing what I did today is not for everybody. I don’t want to promote this as the recommended option especially after only two weeks. It had been part of my plan when I arrived but I kept an open mind as to my fitness to be able to do it safely and if anything in my PT or other indicators, physically, had given me pause, I would have waited until the healing allowed.

I’m blessed (and lucky) it all went perfectly but I would be remiss not to admit that my friends and family were NOT in favor of it. With proper planning, it’s fine, and I rather enjoyed the drive home with the gorgeous weather and leaves turning. Once I got in my rhythm, I didn’t think about my hip at all.

I’ll keep posting every few days but, for now, I’m going to get ready for a good night’s sleep with my peeps. Yay!

:loveshwr:
 
[Bonesmart.org] BeachGal is back!  #2 Done!
 
Plans for today include just a couple of easy hours at our office and a hair appt. If I had to choose, it would be the hair, of course, but I’m feeling the need to get back to work and just clear the head a bit. The past few weeks have seemed strange with so much down time but I haven’t missed the usual routine. I have a few things that need my attention at work so today is the day.

I hoped I would go yesterday but I just didn’t feel ready. I needed that day of rest and icing. I did two loads of laundry but that wasn’t much activity as everything was already in the laundry room so I just switched stuff from washer to dryer but did do equal weight-bearing on both legs as I folded.

I’m hoping everyone has a better day and that each one continues that path. Let’s all try to get a little fresh air and enjoy this lovely autumn weather so we don’t miss the season!

:flwrysmile:
 
@benne68 Yes, too many things for one day, for sure. I did ok, though. I was very tired when we got home (hubby drove me from pillar to post) and I promised I’d not plan that much again for a while longer. No additional muscle pain, in fact some of the groin pain had eased up, but the fatigue is real.

Our temps plummeted into the upper 30s last night which is unheard of along the Gulf Coast mid-October, so I slept soundly with window cracked open a bit. Coffee in bed and I’ll spend the day at home. It will warm up nicely by noon and I’ll put on an easy pot of chili for a light supper later.

Let’s stay focused and upbeat! This recovery is a moving target but every day we’re getting better, healing more, learning more about how to be patient! I’m sure trying….
:cheers:
 
I was a bit worried when I read your agenda for the day yesterday. I'm sorry you're feeling the result of too much activity, but you know the drill and taking it easy today should have you feeling better tomorrow! :SUNsmile:

Enjoy a day of rest and your chili dinner. I'm trying a new soup today for tonights dinner, Chicken Quesadilla, I hope we like it. I love those easy peasy one pot type meals.
Happy Wednesday!
@beachgal
 
@Layla Love Chicken Quesadilla soup! We jazz it up with a dollop of sour cream on top and plenty of tortilla chips for dunking! YUM!

I knew I was pushing the envelope yesterday but I truly feel better this morning after that good night’s rest. I’ve started leaving my cane behind when I’m walking around the kitchen which tells me it won’t be too much longer before I’ll leave it behind permanently. No time soon as I tend to err on the side of caution but it’s fun to notice the little miracles.

:angel:
 
Hello beachgal, I've really enjoyed reading your posts and following your progress. I am 20 days and counting from having my THR and your progress seems phenomenal!
At the moment I can't believe that the surgery will take away or lessen this eye- watering groin pain. When I'm sat down I often forget about my hip but then I get up and remember and I dread that first step .
I wish you a continuing positive recovery.
 
@Shadowstar1951! We’re pretty close to our days out from surgery. When I post about my progress and backslides, it’s only meant to expose my humanness and the way I’ve learned to regain my independence after surgery. I still screw up a lot. ‍

One thing that has really surprised me after this hip #2 anterior approach is what a difference in ongoing muscle aches and pains from my hip #1 posterior approach. At the end of week one with my first, I was virtually pain free with muscles. This time, it’s lingering and tweaks every time I do anything that is a “new motion”. UGH!
I literally stay on my ice packs every time I’m sitting/reclining. I even had one with me at hair salon. So don’t feel alone in your pains, especially that dang groin pain. It is by far the most crippling ache I’ve dealt with this time. The ice pack, folded in the crevice of my groin where my leg meets my crotch/torso, has been very helpful. Then I let it rest. Then I do it again in about an hour.

Also, if you experienced that groin pain pre-op, it’ll take a bit longer to settle down. Just be positive and assured that you are doing what needs to be done for a pain free outcome and don’t stop! If you have any back aches from waist down to your booty crack, use a heating pad. I used my seat warmer in the car when I drove home last Friday along with my ice pack on my thigh.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Elevating your leg? Getting enough good sleep? Those are so important to your recovery.

It’s still SO early in our recovery and everything you describe will settle down in time, I know. It’s a test of patience but the reward is great. Please keep posting to let us know your progress. Be encouraged! You have everything you need for a spectacular outcome!
:loveshwr:
 
Beachgal,thank you for your very encouraging post. I haven't had my surgery yet. I must have confused you. Sorry..It is 8th November.
I think my one big concern is dislocation. The thought of that happening is so frightening. I am practicing moves that will apply post surgery and I'm exercising too.
I'm also dreading sleeping on my back! Anyway, enough of my negativity. Your advice and support, as well as everyone elses on Bonesmart will get me through this.
Thank you..
 
@Shadowstar1951! My mistake, so sorry! But advice still the same although you may experience no groin pain at all after your surgery! Wouldn’t that be a gift??!!

Dislocation should only be something you’re aware of, not an expected result. If you take care in your movements and be deliberate in your steps, your hip will stay put. Please don’t fret over that.

Your exercising now will serve you well after your procedure. Pay attention to your arm muscles as they will be supporting you on walker and cane as well as helping pull yourself up into chair or bed.

You may find it easier to sleep on your back than you think! It is such a comfortable position with a op leg, just plump up pillows under knee and in small of your back for equal distribution of pressure points. This time, I’ve been able to sleep on my non-op side easily with pillow between my legs. You’ll know when it feels right to test those waters. The main thing is to rest when you can, day or night. Your body really needs to be inactive for healing and I’ve slept much better with this surgery than my first one. That may be why I’ve had been able to do more, with a rested body and mind.

Prayers for you, a calm spirit, trust in your surgeon and PT, and go into the whole experience ready to claim your miracle. The head can do more to help with a successful outcome than anything else, it seems. It’s your time so make it the very best it can be. You deserve to be pain free to live your best life!
:ok:
 
Starting the first day of my fourth week after THR and wanted to just post a few observations. I am still sleeping well each night and have taken long naps twice in the past week. Still icing religiously and drinking plenty of water but have added an occasional glass of wine in the evenings. Just a little touch of normalcy.

I went to my office twice this past week for about two hours each day. I went in with a list of “must do”s and I made the time count. I think I stayed an appropriate amount of time and I was ready for a comfy chair when I got home.

I was still walking with my cane until yesterday and as the day wears on, I’ll bring it with me just for stability. My thigh pain has mostly subsided but I’m having a little stiffness in my knee. It’s not swollen but I’ve started icing it more than the groin area. Side of thigh is relaxing but I’m still aware of a little ache there, too.

The residue covering my actual incision is starting to flake off. With each shower, more and more is loosening and I think by next week, I’ll be down to the actual incision. No pain but I’m still careful not to overly aggravate it with tighter clothing. I’m still in my skorts or sweatpants.

I’m cooking some meals ( red beans & rice with sausage for supper tonight ) and doing lots of laundry. It keeps me getting up and down without much to lift so all the blankets and throws are clean and all the beds have fresh linens. Hubby isn’t wild about this project since I can’t get the bottom sheet on yet but he’s a trooper.

I have no complaints other than I’ve had about as much of this routine as I can handle for now. I know each day marks improvement but, contrary to popular belief, I’m no saint. I’ve been blessed with a wonderful recovery/rehab but I long for a pain free mile walk at the beach. It’ll come, I know. Our weather has been stellar this autumn and I’m not satisfied just being on the porch. Ok, enough whining!

I have a friend here that has needed THR on both hips for years. She has been caregiver for her father-in-law for awhile and today we mourn his passing a few days ago, my hope is that she’ll be ready to take her place among us. Prayers for her and so many others who, for whatever reason, have not experienced what it can provide. Blessings, all, and wishes for much success as we all move forward.

:angel:
 
Back
Top Bottom