Guest viewing is limited

THR BeachGal is back! #2 Done!

Morning Beachgal, you sound as though you are progressing really well and very busy!
Take care and don't overdo it. Have a lovely Sunday.
 
Four weeks down, starting week #5 and I’m pretty pleased with my progress. I wake up with stiffness and have to do a few stretches to limber up but I’m usually walking slowly w/o pain for morning coffee. Pup joins me back in bed for that first cup and more stretches and exercises. After that, I pretty much navigate the morning getting dressed with no cane.

Last week I worked at least three hours each day except for today and didn’t push it further. I was really tired each night and continue to sleep like a rock. Only taking three doses of acetaminophen daily for muscle soreness.

Incision looks better. Might be the alcohol I decided to try. It’s still a little prickly when clothes rub but not enough for me to scream.

Before my surgery was scheduled, I had planned a small luncheon at one of my fav seafood restaurants for high school girlfriends as we meet every few months to stay close. I had chosen today’s date so when my surgery date was set for 9/29, I decided to keep the luncheon reservations and reevaluate as date got closer. They drive the three hours for lunch today and we had a fabulous time! It’s the most normal thing I’ve done since surgery except for work. Only three friends knew about my procedure so they were pretty happy to see me with no cane and no visible effects of the trauma my body had endured. We all have thanks for my healing thus far and others who have dealt with much worse than my hip. Blessings for us all.

Physically I’m doing well. I still have hip pain deep in joint hit not constantly. At times I have a little twinge on the side of my knee but I recall the drawings of correct foot placement per step and it usually alleviates the twinges. I’m not 100% and I have to remind myself that I still have a lot of healing and exercising to do but I’m on my way.

Hope everyone has a safe and pain free weekend and watch out for the goblins on Halloween! :curtsey:
 
Same! I still get together with some grade school girlfriends for a dinner on occasion to catch up.
Always lots of fun and lots of laughs.

Happy One Month Anniversary! You're doing really well. Keep it up and have a lovely weekend. :SUNsmile:
@beachgal
 
I’m beginning week #6 today with a grateful heart that I can dress and spend a few hours at the office. I stored my cane in the closet yesterday after not using it for the past days but I continue to walk slowly while concentrating on my gait. I have not noticed any difference in leg length, rather I’m more aware of the little muscle twinges that remind me when I need to rest and elevate. They are mostly on the side of my lower thigh/knee on op leg.

I physically can already do more than pre-op but I’m not testing the waters yet. I can pick up things from the floor and lift up to 10 lbs without a struggle but I don’t make it a habit yet.

I’ve taken the pup to work with me and she behaves when I ask her to “ slow down” or “wait” for me. Hubby is still doing her walks.

Prayers that we all find our happy place in this journey even though it will take time and patience. The reward is great.
:angel:
 
Glad you're doing so well, beachgal. You may chuckle at this, but I find your writing style to be calming / soothing,
I really do! I don't know what it is, but it slows me down mentally. I'm guessing it may do the same for others also.
Take it easy at the office today and enjoy the weekend!
@beachgal
 
Beach Gal!!!!…O wow what a surprise! I hope you remember me from our first big adventure! Lol. You and I were hippie buddies back in 2014 and we made it through with help from each other and lots of other friends. Low and behold I came back for 2nd round too. Had mine back in March so I’m 71/2 months along. Doing well, still have some mild pain when standing and walking, but just for a few steps. I sure didn’t think I would have to do it again but such is life. so grateful to be able to get it done because it truly is life changing as you said! I have often wondered how you were doing and just amazing to see you here. So glad to see you are well and life is good. Love the pics of the Mississippi waters. Brings back the memories when we were there when hubby was a Seabee. Wonder how the rest of the gang is? I think ”me too” was here awhile back but not sure. So good to see you’re way ahead of things compared to first time. My second was way easier too because I actually learned so much and didn’t wait until it was unbearable like first time. Take care….and keep that beach gal attitude!
 
@Rhonda K , O. M. G. I cannot imagine our paths crossing again over our new hips! How hilarious! Yes, first time was a learning lesson. This time, I’m still screwing up with overdoing it occasionally but giving myself permission to take a day here and there to relax and regroup. I wish I could have had mine in March but we’re still working like when we were kids so I had to wait until I had a few free weeks to have the THR. All seems to be fine, I see my OS on 11/16 and I believe he’ll release me then.

Still a beautiful place to live here on the Gulf Coast. If you’ve read my current post, you know we’re under contract for a new little beach bungalow to close by end of this month. Hubby found it, viewed it, made offer while realtor was showing me the property via FaceTime so I still haven’t walked through the house. We’re making mental lists of things to tackle first and are not selling our old home until we’re sure we will be happy in the new one. Either way, it’ll be a fun project as we have lots of friends near the new place. It’s been a glorious autumn.

Hope things are good with you! I still can’t believe how life changing this surgery is and what great adventures we’ve had because I was not limited in my mobility. I wish that for you and all here.

I’ll look for your past posts and get caught up with your story and, again, so happy to reconnect here with you and other old (and new) friends!
:loveshwr:
 
Sooo funny for sure how after years here we are again at almost the same time….a very pleasant and mysterious surprise….lol. So good to read how life and recovery is going so well for you. Congrats on new place! Always exciting to start something new but good idea not to let go of old until you’re sure. I didn’t post as much this time because I guess not only did I not have the fear of the unknown, but everything went better this time (boring but good). Ha….I do wish I could of had the anterior though. The restrictions were just as as much a pain as last time. Stockings for weeks, sleeping on my back, etc etc blah blah blah. My OS is really really old school about all that. But I got through it and am now grateful to just have it behind me and almost have that “forgotten hip” (hips) we all strive for. I will always be amazed at that unbelievable miracle. I know some reading about our experiences are still going through the hard part, I hope they get there soon too! Our life is good too….it kinda revolves around the family (meaning Grandkids ). Finally able to take a couple trips after being limited with hip pain, waiting for surgery, recovery, and of course pandemic but things are looking up for sure! Soo good to catch up and I’ll be here reading your posts!!
 
So you can tell how well your rehab and recovery is going by how busy you seem to be during the days and then totally collapse at bedtime. :)

I'm driving back to the scene of the hip surgery tomorrow for my follow-up appointment. Three hours up. Three hours back. Hubby and pup wanted to go but I've convinced them to stay on the coast and handle things at work for me. I anticipate that OS will release me unless he just wants to do one more check at three months.

While I wouldn't recommend this to anyone here, I can tell you that the quickest way to get back on your feet is to buy a house. The week after your surgery. What were we thinking???? Ok, well, it's not that bad and we do like the house but the closing is Friday, seller is out of town, wire transfers, paperwork, walk through.....
I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!! :rotfl: Oh, and do it the week before Thanksgiving......:hissy:

All is well. I'm sleeping like a rock. I have zero pain. No cane. Taking a stair step with each foot. Walking much more than I could have before surgery. Remember how we used to wish for that "normalcy" again with all the dang hip pain? Well, I'm smack dab in the middle of "normal" now, although I know I'm really not. I'm resting, we're bringing in take out for dinner some nights, and hubby has figured out that the laundry doesn't wash itself. All stuff I love....am so grateful for these feelings again....knowing I have the wherewithal to load up a day of activities and so what if a few don't get done....but what about those that DO???? WOOHOO!!!!

I'll report in again after I get past Friday, before Thanksgiving, and, y'all, please take it easy, rest, elevate, ice, eat healthy, and keep posting success stories here. This is my nighttime reading so keep it coming.

:angel:
 
Well, here's another blast from the past reporting in! So good to "see" you again, Jennifer! What sweet memories I have from my first hip replacement back in 12/14. Wow, it will be 8 years since Hip #1. I had my second one in 4/19, so I beat you there.

Once again, you are here encouraging everyone in your journey. You helped me when you documented your first replacement and I read it with great interest.

Glad to hear how this anterior has gotten you up and going so quickly. I had 2 anteriors and I also had no restrictions. It was great. My only problem was that I did too much too soon with Hip #1 and I got tendonitis from doing too much. Please don't do too much!!! With Hip #2, I went much more slowly and had no problem.

Again, welcome back, young lady :flwrysmile:
Teri
 
Hi @beachgal
I hope your appointment went well yesterday. That's a long drive and I don't know how you managed as the driver. I really struggled in a car seat for the first several months. I found it too confining and after 30 minutes I was at my limit, like Get Me Out Of Here limit. As a passenger at least you're able to recline if necessary and ICE if struggling with pain or discomfort. Wondering how you handled the drive alone and if you took breaks?

You have a lot going on as you recover, engaged in a move and the beginning of the holiday season, both can be stressful so I hope you take the time you need to rest / sleep when tired and don't feel pressured about anything. It sounds like hubs is a loving caregiver and you come across as relaxed and easy going so with any luck all goes smoothly with the move and Thanksgiving next week. I hope your day is a peaceful relaxing one. :)
 
RhondaK, Bfam85, Layla, Woodstockhip, and all others, good frigid morning from the Gulf Coast! Brrrr, yes, chilly here, but in true coastal fashion, there is a big Gumbo Festival today near us and the participants are already preparing their roux! A sampling of all is surely in our plans this afternoon, along with some Zydeco music and colorful art on display. So good to keep up with y’all and, Teri! Hey, there! We always seem to gravitate to the place of comfort and gratitude! So glad to “see” you again with another success story!

Wednesday I did the three-hour drive north and back for a checkup with my OS and updated X-rays. New (and old) hip replacements are perfectly placed and healing well. OS advised me to take the antibiotics before dental procedures for two years so no big deal there. I have another checkup with OS - in a YEAR! Woohoo!!!

If anyone reading this is curious about my travel prep (and I usually go alone), I stop every hour and stretch a bit, then walk around the car. I sometimes have my heated seat on and usually have two frozen plastic water bottles with me in case I hurt but I haven’t needed them. It was a beautiful day for a drive and not much traffic until I got closer to the medical buildings near the surgery center. I’m always amazed at all the patients in various stages of healing. We strike up conversations often and most are having really good results. Most also complain that their PT pushes them too hard. You can imagine my reply.

We closed on the new house yesterday afternoon, celebrated with our favorite pizza and salad, and promised not to talk about the work that needs to be done there until after Thanksgiving! Just need a break!

We had not made concrete plans to be with my family for Thanksgiving until I got the good report from my OS although I couldn’t imagine it would be a problem. We will be driving north again on Wednesday afternoon, staying in “our hotel” with plans for fun, family, good food, and a few extra days of visiting with friends and some time in several cemeteries as I place Christmas flowers on graves and do some cleaning and trimming. The cemetery where my parents and two favorite aunts are buried also hold the graves of lots of my childhood friends’ parents and I take care of them, too, since my friends are now scattered across the country. I always take a photo of their headstones after I finish my work so they are assured that care has been given. This act really sets the tone for my Christmas season. This year we will travel a few more hours further north as I have lost two very dear friends this year who need to be remembered. One of them is buried in a small town famous for their hot tamales so we’ll certainly pick up a dozen to bring back.

Much, much, much to be thankful for always but especially for me this year. I hope we all find that place of peace and joy throughout this tough recovery journey and don’t miss our miracles. Blessings, all, and I’m so thankful for all of you!
:loveshwr:
 
As a Northerner, from the land of casseroles and Booya, I had to educate myself on both Gumbo and Zydeco, lol.
Also, I am wondering what chilly is to you as I type with the wind howling, snow on the ground :snow plough:and a temp of 19F! I can go for some of your "chilly" right about now. I don't even care to step outside today!

We closed on the new house yesterday afternoon, celebrated with our favorite pizza and salad, and promised not to talk about the work that needs to be done there until after Thanksgiving! Just need a break!
Congrats! I like your agreement to hold off on home improvement discussions until after Thanksgiving. You do have a lot to be thankful for and you always come across as grateful, so why muddy the waters now. Enjoy the holiday and time spent with loved ones! Safe travels too, beachgal!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving and you're looking forward to Christmas. The season is definitely up and running. May it be a happy, peaceful one for you and yours!
@beachgal
 
It’s been a full week since Thanksgiving and celebrating my two-month hip anniversary and I’m still so thankful for this miracle.

My family time for Thanksgiving went off the rails after that one day of family time, though. Thursday night I got so sick in the hotel! Fever, tummy issues from both ends, cramping, and so nauseated. We drove home Friday morning.

I’ve since resolved my tummy issues to the point of somewhat normalcy but I still have a low grade fever this morning. I had a negative Covid test Sunday, called my GP on Tuesday morning, and he advised that without any other symptoms, he didn’t want me taking any meds except OTC for fever control. I am pretty weak from the fever as I have been sleeping on towels for when the fever breaks during the night. Im soaked. I’ll be calling him again this morning to update him on virtually “no change”.

I’ve never had a low grade fever cone and stay. I usually blow through them once they break and it’s been years since I’ve had one. Even after THR. So I’m definitely at my wit’s end with this. Dr is not concerned with infection at hip. It’s fine, no pain, no redness, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with fever as I’ve described? FYI, none of guests for Thanksgiving were/are sick at all! :censored:
 
Back
Top Bottom