TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

Made through first night home. Fever down to 99.5. I think we've got the Meds figured out for the first week. Minor issue is training myself to sleep on my back as I've always been a side sleeper. The hardest movement for me right now which causes the sharpest pain is transitioning from laying in bed to sitting and then standing up. Once I'm up I can make it around for five or ten minutes on walker. But wonder if any one else has had this issue.
 
Hi Barnmom22
I'm relieved to hear your fever is down a bit, and that you seem to be getting your medications sorted out. It is difficult sleeping on your back if you are not used to it. I sleep on my front and it's taken me weeks to get any decent sleep, and that's in a recliner. Everything else you describe sounds normal for this early on, in fact ten minutes walking around sounds quite a lot for only a few days post op. Your knee is still a new born baby!
This is the most difficult time, but it will pass, all you need to do at the moment is ice, elevate and rest as much as possible.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
My PT told me that one reason folks struggle at night is that usually we move around a lot while sleeping. After surgery, we tend to be still as can be. That in itself can lead to discomfort. Try to re-position yourself every hour or so if you can.
Excellent advice, @Happydale!
 
@Barnmom22-
I found that sleeping in my recliner with a wedge under my legs worked best for me for the first few weeks. I also had my cryocuff right next to me and would ice off and on through the night. It was awhile before I could move to the bed. Also like @uva55 I took my pain meds when I got up. My iPhone was so important because I had alarms going off for everything.

Hope you are doing well and your fever has been reduced. I had a slight fever, but it only came because I was so sick the first week.
 
Getting up was painful and will be for a while. Moving positions will be painful also as you are using muscles etc. in different ways. Everything you're experiencing is totally normal, painful, but normal.
 
I also found that getting my leg on and off the bed was really painful for the first couple of weeks. Before you know it though, you'll be able to lift it right on up there. That's another one of the baby steps we take that mean so much to us!
 
A leg lifter helped me to get the leg up and onto the ottoman, bed, and back down again. It also helped me to "practice" straight leg raises which reminded my leg of what it was supposed to do. I wouldn't have made it without the leg lifter. You can use a towel or sheet under your foot to help lift the leg. A friend stopped by the hospital gift shop and bought one for me while I was still there.
 
I agree with the need for a leg lifter. During my first couple of weeks, I would go to bed with the leg lifter around my foot so that I wouldn't be fumbling around in the dark. It was invaluable in getting IN and OUT of bed at night; and I also use mine to get into my truck when I take a short drive to my PT appointments.

Here's the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QQNLXI/?tag=ate362da-20 - I think it's around $13.00. Well worth it!

Good luck in your recovery!
 
Relieved to read your fever is coming down. Like everyone else has said all you are feeling is part of the process. I used a leg lifter as well and it worked great. You can use your other leg as well, I've done this too but a leg lifter is safer and less stress on any other parts of your already exhausted body. Getting comfy sleeping is hard and you'll have to find which option works best for you, but take heart you will find one that works. During the night I found I was stiff because I was in 1 position and would get up and do a short little walk and that relieved the pain and back in bed for more sleep.... and repeat :-) I hope today is a better day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yea on the departure of your fever! I completely understand the pain getting in and out of bed. My bed is pretty high, and each transition used to be ugly. I noticed in the hospital I had one strong young man as my nurse assistant, and I loved the way he picked up both of my legs and swung them out of bed all at once. It was way less painful for me (but takes a bit of muscle!). After noticing that, when I'm in pain I don't use the leg lifter - I ask for human help with the leg swinging. I always sleep on my side, so back sleeping was not natural for me either. One thing that helps is that I put a big cushion behind my back in bed. That makes it feel more like I'm sleeping in a chair, and when I'm in that position, I don't have as strong of an urge to roll over. I really cannot believe how quickly the transitions in and out of bed have become less painful. I got up about 4x last night, and barely caused myself any pain. Hang in there - you will feel improvement each day!
 
Yes it was difficult getting in and out of bed, that's why I moved to the recliner. I also felt bad waking my husband up every time I had to take my meds or go to bathroom or get an ice pack, he gets upset because I don't wake him to help, but I feel better doing it on my own, if I'm able to.

I'm happy to hear that your fever is down. You just have to figure out what is going to work for you best, once you have your routine it gets easier.
 
You can also us a dog leash as leg lifter if needed. It's also inexpensive especially if you have a furry friend at home. I'm a side sleeper too and used my recliner ( and still do) to get a decent amount of sleep. I also use my ice machine all night.
 
I love new gadgets - had I know they made leg lifters I would have bought one. I used a belt instead.
 
I forgot to take my leg lifter in to hospital with me the first time and I had Tourniquet pain so had to use my bed jacket instead. But trying to 'lasso' my foot with it was extremely frustrating, specially when one needed to have a pee!
 
. Minor issue is training myself to sleep on my back as I've always been a side sleeper. The hardest movement for me right now which causes the sharpest pain is transitioning from laying in bed to sitting and then standing up. Once I'm up I can make it around for five or ten minutes on walker. But wonder if any one else has had this issue.
Certainly. I am a side sleeper and it took a while to be able to do that. With assistance in getting pillows arranged I was able to go onto my side for a few minutes at a time, which relieved my back. After a few weeks I could sleep on my side more and more with a pillow between the knees.
And yes, at first the transitions are a bit of a production.
 
I still can't sleep on my side. I try both sides for a few minutes, but the knee makes me move back to my back and elevate on the pillows. Once I can cross that hurdle, I'll feel like I'm on the way to major healing! To lift my leg I used the good leg or either two belts hooked together. No need to buy anything if you have belts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am a side sleeper also, which I know impeded my sleep for the first few weeks. By week 4 I was able to put my left leg over the RTKR for a few hours of side sleep. The first few weeks are hard, but it will get better. Sleep whenever you can.
 
I can take a month or longer to finally sleep on your side, I found be able to be on my side for short periods of time.
 
Just had first nurse and p t home visits. I'm exhausted. The p t was very nice, cheerful and eager to get going on exercises. I waited until the end and sweetly asked her if she was familiar with Bone Smart. She was not. But she is now! She said its my knee and I am in charge and she's not interested in any pain inducing stretches or exercises.

She measured 84 flexion and plus 5 extension. Is that where I should be five days after surgery?

Also @Happydale. Just saw your scar. It looks so good. You are healing fast. I hope all of you feels that good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom