Guest viewing is limited

TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

Also I had to ask for ice. Isn't that normally automatic?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tell them you are in PAIN and need relief ASAP. if they don't respond in 10 minutes, buzz again, and again until they get you some pain relief
 
From what I was told at the hospital it depends on your OS, my OS was the only one that provided ice machines for his patients.
 
Congrats on your new knee! I had the nausea patch and was sent home with it - amazing! It did the trick except my mouth was beyond dry but I'd take that any day over being sick like my other surgeries. I'd ask to about the pain meds, your doctor probably gave them a pain management schedule. Best wishes!
 
Ask the nurses to go over a schedule with you for pain meds and ask them to bring them to you automatically.
 
I also had the patch in the hospital, and the dry mouth and headache was a side effect!
 
Welcome to the recovery side of things with your new knee Barnmom! Soon you will get to enjoy life without that debilitating arthritis pain!

It was in the hospital I learned to use the cell phone as my alarm for pain meds. I set it for 15 mins prior to the next due dose and started pushing the nurse button for pain meds at that time. They usually got them there pretty close to the correct time!

If you find an occasion they are running late- keep buzzing. Remembering, 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'!

Hoping you are able to get some rest there. We're here for you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I pray for your quick nausea and pain control. Take up for yourself and don't let your pain meds get off schedule. It's awful trying to catch up once that pain takes control. Taking the pain meds on schedule keeps your pain a really low level.
 
Stay ahead of the pain. If you have someone there with you have them set their phone to get meds when possible. I needed an IV shot of toradol to get me over the 24 hour hump, then oxycodone did the trick. If no one is there with you, try setting your phone to ask for meds.
 
I'm so happy for you that the surgery is over! I think one of the main goals in the hospital is to find the pain med that you like best - what does the job and doesn't make you sick. The nausea patch sounds great, so maybe you will be able to tolerate a variety of pain meds. Just keep the nurses well informed about what is working. Glad you got grippy socks - what's your color? I experienced the same three: weepy, freezing, shaking. My teeth even chattered! Warm up with your blankie and feel all the love that you clearly have all around you.
 
Right now the pain is more Extreme soreness rather than sharp pain. I just asked for more Percocet so that should help we'll see what tomorrow brings hope you're doing. Hope you're doing well


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Made it though first night. Woke every two hours for vitals and pain check. Right now they are treating me with Percocet every four hours. Haven't shaken nausea yet. Can't eat. Mouth is dry. Any dry mouth suggestions?

Haven't seen knee yet. Maybe later.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Biotene mouth spray for you dry mouth. Hope your pain gets under control today. Ask for something for the nausea. Hang in there.
 
Made it though first night. Woke every two hours for vitals and pain check. Right now they are treating me with Percocet every four hours. Haven't shaken nausea yet. Can't eat. Mouth is dry. Any dry mouth suggestions?

Haven't seen knee yet. Maybe later.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Ask them for something for the nausea if they aren't already giving you something. You need to be able to drink fluids and have something to eat.
I drank a lot in the hospital. You might try some hard candies. Biotene also makes some dry mouth lozenges.

Congrats on the new knee. Doze when you can today.
 
I'd say you had a good night if you were able to sleep two hours at a time, and are able to fall back asleep after they're done bothering you. I hate looking at my knee, but the professionals who see it say it looks good. May you have a good and peaceful day. :console2:
 
That dry mouth is tough for sure, sucking on ice helped me some but I just drank a boatload of water.
 
Peppermint candies helped my dry mouth and nausea.
 
I sucked on, Jolly Ranchers,hard candies and it helped with dry mouth, and drank lots OS water.

I hope you are feeling better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting through day two. PT was here three times. Wanted walks in hallways. But I knew not to let them bully me. So I did one short walk and I longer one.


They are switching me from heparin to an oxy Tylenol mixture. It's slow release so hopefully it will deal with nausea.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom