Guest viewing is limited

TKR Awake during surgery

I had no feeling below the waist for about 4 hours and had the catheter in overnight. They then took it out but as I fainted trying to get out of bed I had to have it put back in - took two nurses three tries each to do so :sorry:
Dose the catheter hurt,when taking out?
 
Does the catheter hurt,when taking out?
No it doesn't if done correctly. And it certainly should not have taken 2 nurses, 3 tries each to reinsert a catheter.
 
I can't wait to read your recovery thread to hear about being awake for tkr! In a weird way, I find it fascinating how they perform this surgery. I had general anesthesia for both tkrs because of severe scoliosis.
Have you watched the actual surgery on YouTube?
 
Hi Beachy
Yes I have,and it dosen't put me off, 4 more sleeps till the op.I will post my exsperiance once I'm back hm.I hope I recover well lol
 
I've chosen to be awake for my knee replacement on the 14th march.Has anyone else done this before?
I’m in the UK and had an epidural. I was asked how awake I wanted to be. I said ‘not completely out but didn’t want to be seeing what was happening’. But to be honest the next thing I knew I was waking up and it was all done.
 
I had a TKR 5 months ago under epidural and sedation, I did wake up and chat a bit during the surgery, however with a sense of detachment. I heard noises etc yet wasn’t concerned in the least.
 
Hi Twinny,
Best Wishes for your surgery on Tuesday! I can't wait for your first update to hear all about it.
You're a brave one to stay awake, but you'll be in good hands. I hope the next four days move quickly and I wish you comfort as you wait.
@Twinny
 
Good luck tomorrow! Soon you'll be home recovering. And posting about your experience!
 
Out of surgery, all went well and being awake was no problem at all
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Awake during surgery
    16787668988785052123023055909301.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom