TKR Aug 20 hard work.

I have the same situation....quite a few "oh my goodness, I have turned a big corner days" only to have a regression...my OS said this is so normal.... and at 6 months we'll see a big stretch between setbacks BUT....still regression!
 
Here are 2 posts from my thread, to show you how slow my recovery has been.

As I’ve said before, I had a lot of overall improvement after my one year anniversary and even more ROM improvement after my second anniversary.

Progress!

I had an outing on Saturday, I was gone for 5 hours. Drove to a mall one hour away, shopped a bit, drove another 40 minutes to a birthday party. Sat for about an hour and a half before I had decided to get up and stretch my legs, more standing and talking, approximately a 90 minute ride home.

Knee was fairly uncomfortable when I got home but not actually painful, slept well with my leg elevated all night, knee felt back to it’s current normal on Sunday morning.

8 months post op with a partial, still have to be judicial with my activities, but it’s coming along! :spin:

Just want to let others know it’s ok if your recovery is taking the scenic route.

And this one (I copied it because for some reason the quote didn’t work) This is the post I went looking for:

“
Well at almost 9 months post op progress is still continuing, I am doing much better with sewing projects.

What does my knee have to do with sewing? Well, there are a lot of “sit to stands” getting up and down from the chair I sit in at the machine. And I can stand pretty much as long as I want to at my ironing board where I prepare my pieces to be sewn.

Also, my knee is bending better while sitting at the machine, and the bend I need when I swivel/turn my chair to clear the table leg so I can get closer to the machine.

I think think only a month ago this was not the case.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All of you just several months in recovery, take heart. Where you are now is not where you will end up!
 
Last edited:
Well I go to the dentist this week. I hope all goes well with this. I never worried about going with my first knee. I guess as you grow older that’s what you Do is worry .
 
We went to Florida for 5 weeks. So the kids wanted Disney. Well we went. Believe it or not I did it. I put ice on it that night but all went well. Was very happy about that. My leg is still swollen.that has never gone away.i just hope it will eventually.
 
Jockette you posted in some other post that you had a hard time at 6 months. You could you explain What kind of problems did you have. Iam having problems iam at 6 months. Iam having a little more pain. Also swelling. I don’t think that will ever go away. But I was just wondering what kind of problems. Thanks
 
Oh, my, where do I begin! I had had 2 major set backs, one at 4 months and one 5 months. It just took forever to heal. My ROM at that point was poor, I still couldn’t do stairs (which is still not great for me at almost 3 years post op. I had a weird sensitivity on the lower lateral side of my knee that I still have. I’m very unhappy with my outcome, though I’m a lot better now than I was the whole first year.

Here’s my thread, I was almost 6 months post op when I started it:

 
I have a question for anyone that knows. Iam 6 months. Now I have a pain on one spot on the right side of my knee. It feels like a needle going in. Not all the time just some of the time. But when I walk up the step just doing step over step it hurts in that spot. It does not just when I walk or doing step with 2 feet on each step. Not sure what is going on.
 
I have a question. The outside of my knee hurts sometimes when I do certain things. Mostly when going up stairs. Ok it finally went away till the other day when I got out of a swing. I think I may have twisted it. Now it’s back only doing stairs. Could this still be healing inside and that’s why it hurts.
 
Yep, your knee is just less than 8 months old and there's still healing going on inside of there. If it hurts, your knee isn't ready for you to do that. It just takes time to get there.
 
My RTKR was July 2nd last year and I can tell you from personal experience that the stairs still present some difficulty for me too. I get a pain on the lateral side under the kneecap when I go up or down stairs. However, it comes and goes. I can have it for a few weeks and then it goes away. I'm presently about two weeks without it and honestly I don't ever worry about it. I just go on with my life. I can also tell you that if I sleep on my right side it will hurt enough to waken me. I turn over and it goes away immediately. Lucky for me I'm a stomach or left side sleeper. My new one is a nerve sensation mid thigh. When I sit in a seat where my feet aren't firmly on the floor I'll get a numb feeling on the lateral side of my mid thigh. It goes away immediately upon standing. So it's definitely a journey. I'm glad you're getting better it definitely can wear on you if you let it. Take care and continue to heal!

Bob
 
It is just so frustrating. I feel like iam doing real good then I get pain. I will hang in there. Thanks for the information
 
I can also tell you that I'm absolutely thrilled with my outcome from surgery. My wife and I are huge Disney fans and going to the parks over the last ten years has been a struggle for me. I was to the point of going and getting my knee injected the week before we'd go. I'd also get a steroid dose pack and pain meds for the trip. And I'd STILL be in misery by the end of the first day of a five day trip. Well we went the first week of December which was right at five months post op. I felt like a million bucks. My knee would be tired at night but there was none of the agonizing pain that I'd had for so many years. I kept track of our steps for the entire five days in the parks and it totaled out to just over 45 miles of walking in five days. It was the best vacation we've had in years. Since December it's gotten nothing but better. Now I'm only 57 so I realize that probably has something to do with my outcome. I also went to PT for two months prior to my surgery. I had sciatica and worked with a PT to rid myself of it prior to surgery. She helped me to build up my muscles and prep for surgery. I truly believe that made a huge difference with my outcome. Definiely keep your spirits up and know that it only gets better with time! I hope you're doing well,

Bob
 
Well Iam sitting tonight with ice on my knee.not a clue why this is happening. I went to Disney world in January. Had no problems. I feel like Iam going backwards. Cannot get into dr. Because of the virus. Iam a very active person so hope this ends soon. Have a happy and safe holiday
 
Our knees can take up to a couple of years until they are fully healed, I'm now 6 months post op and every now and then I get pain, ( usually zingers ...a sharp shooting pain or something like a hammer being hit on the knee- these I'm told are our nerves reacting ) I still don't like going up and downstairs, and still have a strange numb spot to the outside of my knee. Just keep icing regularly and be patient xx
Happy Easter xx
 
I'm so glad reading these recent responses. It makes me feel so much more normal. Some days, you think you've turned the corner only to find that the next day, back to aches, zingers, etc. Even my gait is different on some days. There's days when I feel I'm walking almost like a normal person and then, the next day, stiff legged and like Frankenstein. I guess we just have to accept that this is part of the healing process.
 
I found the new knee very sensitive to slight "tweaks" for probably at least the first 6 months. Just moving slightly out of alignment or overstressing it. The good news is that it should bounce back from those episodes increasingly quickly.
 
Thank you for the encouragement. Tonight is an ice night. Just wish my tightness would go away.with my other knee I didn’t have problems this long. I know every knee is different. I will keep moving along though
 
I am hoping someone will have a answer. I had my left knee done 6 /12 years ago. Iam have a burning sensation in the side of the knee . Not all the time. It feels like someone is sticking a hot poker in it. No pain anywhere else. Has anyone have this at all.
 
Judgar,
Could you please locate the site of your pain on the knee chart so we can better advise you.
Thanks!
Please let us know the type and how much activity/exercise you are doing.

aa knee-references-horz.jpg
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom