TKR Aug 20 hard work.

I am 13 weeks.i feel like I am going backwards. I hurt. My walking is not as good as it was. I ice and elevate my leg. Is this normal to feel like this like you're not as good as you were doing.. I am so discouraged. I was just wondering is anyone else felt like they were doing OK then wham you're going back.
 
Yes, unfortunately this happens to many of us. We start to feel better, add more activity, and our drama queen knees protest. (Mine is still the biggest drama queen knee of all)

Even if we don’t think we did too much, it’s the knee’s opinion that counts.

Hang in there, it’s going to be ok. :console2:
 
This recovery is a roller coaster, not a smooth road at all. Some days and weeks you'll feel like you've got this recovery licked, other times you feel like you aren't gaining ground at all. Just keep up with the icing and elevating as needed, and keep doing your daily activities as much as your knee allows. If you're having a bad day, spend as much time as you can off your knee with it iced and elevated, and over time you will see improvement. This recovery takes, on average, a full year, so please don't get discouraged. Just know that when your knee complains, it's telling you it's still healing and needs some more TLC.
 
This recovery is like a yoyo, up and down. You are only a little over 3 months out. That's 1/4 of the way of being healed. I bet you have been doing more than normal lately and that's why your knee is unhappy with you. Back off what you are doing differently and rest your knee until it settles down. Then try just a little bit more and see how you feel. If you let your knee be your boss, you're have an easier recovery.

Better days are ahead of you even though, at times, it doesn't seem so.
 
I will be 15 weeks this coming Tuesday. I still have pain on the inside of my knee and sometimes knee cap, is this normal for some people. Other than that it is ok. It is kind of like a burning sensation.i still am swollen.i wish that would go away. It worries me.i do walk a lot.but I do ice and elevate too. Just wondering if anyone at my stage still having some problems.
 
What you are experiencing is normal for this year long+ recovery. You are barely a quarter of the way through recovery. You still have a lot of healing ahead, even though you are already feeling good.
Keep on icing and elevating, with time these symptoms will disappear.
 
I'm at 6.5 months post-op, but I also experienced a lot of "burning" when it came to pain. There is still a spot on the upper outside of my knee that burns tremendously when I overdo it. That has gotten better each month, but at from 12-16 weeks, it was still BAD!!!! It was the same area that was super swollen/tight still, and my surgeon said it was inflammation/swelling, which often DOES cause pain.

I think many of us were under the impression that swelling only inhibits movement/range of motion, when, in fact, it also creates pain. Some of us just experience these things differently than others.
 
When did any of your drs tell you can go to the dentist. 3 or 4 or 6 months?
 
My doc said I could go when due back at dentist after my 6 wk checkup. He did want me to take one antibiotic pill before visit.
I started my 17th week today, still having pain everyday no matter what I do, rest or active. Hurts like hell if I am remotely active. Guessing it's my new normal but hopeful for more healing.
 
My surgeon doesn't even want you to go for a dental cleaning until 4 wks. he prefers loner for any surgery/invasive work. I have to do the antibiotics an hour before the appointment for the first 2 yr post-op. I know this is VERY individual based on your surgeon though.
 
Starfann22... what kind of pain are you having? Iam 2 weeks behind you.if I do to much iam hurting. It is getting better though I hope. Hopefully you start getting better soon. I got some of the spider tape it helps. I still swollen. I wish that would go away
 
Oops---I didn't proofread my earlier post-----I meant to say 4 MONTHS!!!
 
Judgar...I still have stiffness in morning and anytime I stand too long (like 10 min.), exercise, go for walk, grocery shop. Pain as a result of everything listed. Resting, icing and elevating gets me back on track, less pain, less stiffness. At this point I'd better learn to live with it which I'm working on. I'm adding back strengthing exercises because why not? I rested for a month and still have pain issues so I'll exercise and still hurt? Strengthing may help. My exercises will be gentle with longer walks.

Hope we both turn a corner soon. There are so many on this board that do so well so early. There are many of us that struggle. If we all end up at the same place I'll be over the moon happy. Right now recovery sucks....
 
Starsfan22 and Judgar...I'm right there with you. There are times when I feel I've turned the corner and the tightness and stiffness are almost gone and then, sometimes for no apparent reason I'm stiff, sore, etc. I guess it's part of the healing process. I definitely have to watch doing too much or standing too long. That really can trigger pain and discomfort. It's quite a balancing act. But, for me, I'm grateful that it's still better than before surgery. My leg is definitely stronger than it was. Now, I can't wait to have my left knee done in Jan. as it is rapidly declining.
 
I tried to do some Christmas shopping today. Longer I stood the tightness came on. Home icing and elevate now. It seems like I do not get much accomplished . Good luck with your January surgery.hopefully you will fly through that one.
 
I was just like that at your stage of recovery. :console2:
 
I’m in the same boat and my surgery was 2 days after yours. Standing seems to be worse than walking though.
 
Standing was worse than walking for me for a very long time. I remember posting about it in my thread, when I was finally able to stand for long periods of time. I don’t remember when it was, I’ll have to go through my thread and find it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom