Guest viewing is limited

TKR Athlete has a new left knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is wow!! I am almost 7 weeks out, my rom is stuck, swelling, sutures stabbing me from under skin, I move it swells up a bit. Good deal here is all I can say.
 
2. Ideas other than celebrex, ice, compression, and elevation to get my inflammation done quicker.
I am not sure what to tell you here---you are doing the right things, but ice, elevations rest and meds are important--sometimes we just have to take a step back and realize that sometimes the knee has a schedule that we have to follow.
 
I am not sure what to tell yo here---you are doing the right things, but Ice, elevations rest and meds are important--sometimes we just have to take a step back and realize that sometimes the knee has a schedule that we have to follow.

As they say in Jamaica, our knees are running on "island time". :)
 
I just came across your posts and I have to say I'm amazed. It took me a week to be able to raise my leg with the tkr. My PT would ask me to lift it and I would try and it was like it wasn't even there. Nothing. I could do everything else but leg lifts were impossible. Good luck!
 
I think you might have posted the wrong video - it just doesn't seem to look like you?
 
Hopper....LOL. No its me in the video. Maybe my glasses in the beginning are throwing you.
 
Hopper....LOL. No its me in the video. Maybe my glasses in the beginning are throwing you.
Hmmm... Hopper's post seems to have disappeared. Strange. Anyway, I think you look the same in both the video and the photo. Your tattoo on the back of your left arm is a pretty good identifier.....
 
Friday's update: 8.5 extension and 103 flexion.

Gettin' there......
 
Asianjedi,
I believe this fellow has a link to some extension exercises in his signature. Check it out.
Roy Gardiner
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159/
Indeed I do :)

Another extension exercise needs a partner.

- You sit on the floor, TKR leg out straight.
- Rest the heel on a fairly thick book or similar, to get it maybe 2" off the ground

- partner kneels at right angles to your leg, placing one hand about 6-9" below the knee, one about 6-9" above.
- gently pushes the leg towards the floor until you feel a good stretch through the back of the leg
- holds for about 20sec
- eases off, waits 30sec, repeats.
- repeat 3 or 4 times.

It's effectively the same as the self-performed exercise pictured in my thread on the subject, but more effective IMO.
 
Another extension exercise needs a partner.
Thanks, Roy. I, too, am having issues with extension. My flexion on Friday was 110--surprised both me and PT. However, the extension is so painful and I am struggling! I will give it a try once I can recruit a partner.
 
7-3-13 update
Extension = 7
Flexion = 114 !!!!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Athlete has a new left knee
asianjedi, I see things are improving slowly but surely. Just keep in mind that the secret to TKR recovery is TIME & PATIENCE. You have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give your knee the TIME it requires to heal. When the knee is ready and with some little persuasion, you will have the flexion and extension you want. Keep up the good work!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
The numbers are going in the right direction. Keep it up. Do you do short arc extensions (leg raise with towel under knee)? My PT has me push the back of my knee into that towel as hard as I can throughout the exercise. Makes what I thought was an easy exercise waaaay harder. I read my own PT journal from my first knee: at 3 weeks I was at 10, by week 5, I was 0. I am hoping for a repeat. Hang in there.
 
7-3-13 update
Extension = 7
Flexion = 114 !!!!!!
Asianjedi,
Excellent progress! As ready mentioned, the sort arc quad is a good exercise. I do it with a 2.5 lb weight on the ankle, and have had good results. I am now at 0 extension, but I have to stay on top of it, or it will tend to regress. I am back at work now, so I don't have as much time to do the exercises at home. I am also taking outpatient PT twice/week.

Roger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom