Guest viewing is limited

TKR Athlete has a new left knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last measure was at 4. I just think I have been at 5+ for so long it is just taking a lot longer. It'll happen though!
 
asianjedi
[Bonesmart.org] Athlete has a new left knee
[Bonesmart.org] Athlete has a new left knee
[Bonesmart.org] Athlete has a new left knee
[Bonesmart.org] Athlete has a new left knee
GREAT JOB, MAN!!!!!
 
Very to good to hear of your substantial progress...enjoyed the video. I'm looking forward to a training video in the future.
 
Good morning so far! Worked out at CFC Boot Camp, then off to PT. Extension is at 0 and just hit my flexion goal of 130! I am now officially discharged and on my own.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this journey!

Trailspud...I will try and post a BJJ training video soon.
 
Great to hear! 0-130 is great and you'll just stronger and more flexible from here out, I'm sure.
 
Per Trailspud's request, here is a video of me sparring on the four month anniversary of my knee replacement.

Real quick summary of Jiu-Jitsu sparring:

In the video we are start in the "guard". That is my legs wrapped around his waist. Even though I am on the bottom, I am technically in a better position because I have control of his hips. The goal in this position is to sweep (roll) him over, or submit him with a choke or joint lock. If I have my legs wrapped around one of his legs this is called "Half-Guard". I do not have as much control of him in this position but there are still many sweeps and submissions that can be done in the position.

Inversely his goal is to escape my legs and "pass" them. If he does, he can either go to side body (chest on chest but perpendicular) or full mount (sitting on the chest). You also "take the back" which is basically the same as the guard but instead of facing me, his back is to me. And then ultimately submit with a choke or joint lock. When a person "taps" that means they are admitting they are in a legitimate submission. This is how we can go 100% without injury to a joint or someone passing out from a choke.

In competition we start standing but in the interest of space (other people sparring too), we either start from the knees or in the guard. If no one gets submitted, then there is a point system.

Takedown (not seen in the video) = 2 points
Sweep = 2 points
Passing the guard = 3 points
Mount = 4 points
Back Mount = 4 points

A submission ends the match. So you could be up 20 points, get caught in a submission and lose the match.

Enjoy guys!

 
On my iPhone and can't view the video, but will try on my desktop. Nonetheless, great to hear you are sparring again. Ran into an old friend recently...had both hips done at age 43...All-American wrestler in college now 54 and still doing BJJ and coaching wrestling. Hope your longevity is as well or better.
 
Jedi,

You look great. Kneeling to assume top position...could have never told you were so close out from a TRK.
 
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
 
Hello
I just joined looking for hope and I think you gave it to me. I've been doing karate for 35 years and started BJJ last year. I thought I would never do Bjj after the surgery.

What type of replacement did you get? are you able to kneel?
 
Peter,

Congrats on starting BJJ! I am sure it will only complement your Karate (ie Lyoto Machida)!

I got a full left knee replacement. My ROM is currently at 40ish. Full heel to butt is about 55 I believe. The difference is that 40 degrees of ROM is about 15 degrees more than prior to surgery. I have no pain while I am rolling.

If you want to talk about it hit me up on PM and give me your phone number and I will be happy to discuss it with you in detail.
 
@asianjedi
...sounds like you are a Machida fan. Good guy...has shot at the MW UfC title...sort of hope he beats Weidman who is also a good guy.

So, how is your progress?
 
Things are great! Rolled with "kids" half my age tonight. They asked me why I wasn't even breathing heavy. It is all about the technique son ;). Still wishing my ROM would improve but its about the journey right?! I am really a fan of any Jiu-Jitsu guy. Lyota just happens to combine it with awesome combat effective Karate. :) Weidman is a stud though. My money is on him. He is also a Jiu-Jitsu guy under Matt Serra and by lineage Renzo Gracie. Should be an epic battle when Weidman recovers from his injury.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom