Guest viewing is limited

arthritic muscle inhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my gel packs, actually much prefer them to the cryo cuff as they are so deliciously cold. Now my knee is not getting so hot and they last longer, I put one on for forty minutes, then off for twenty , then back on until it melts. I get nearly two hours out of one pack. Bliss when the knee is achy and sore. I just wish I'd bought a couple more.
 
The one thing about gelpacs that I never thought about is that I still use them!

If I get plunked with a 85-mph fastball or strain a muscle, they are always ready to go, down in my freezer.
 
You can always wrap a icepack or gellpack around the knee and use a ace bandage to keep it snug around the knee. It works great !
 
@lovemydog. I was downtown at hosp for joint disease. My brother had a reverse shoulder replacement at hosp for special surgery


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dear Suzanne, Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what he thought about his experience there.
 
I had my TKR there on 10/1 of this year. Dr Hass, the food is horrible and I am sitting here right now with my leg in an CPM machine (again) after having had my knee manipulated this past Monday. My knee clicks loudly enough for my wife to hear it and hard enough for it to bother me :(
 
Dear Mike,

I hope that the manipulation is a success and that you bounce back quickly. Please keep us posted on your progress. I had an appointment with Dr Haas but their office cancelled it 3 days prior. I live in Connecticut and the guy that I am dating and I had taken a whole day off from work for that appointment. They stated that after he looked at my MRI he felt that he was "not the doctor for me." When I asked them if they could ask him why and who he would recommend the office personnel stated that they would try to talk to him the following day but they were very busy. They never called me back, and now I am really petrified because if someone with his level of expertise did not want to treat me maybe my knee is a really bad and hopeless case.
 
@FIREMANMIKE. While I was in rehab they put me on the MACHINE and they turned it up too high I passed out from the pain. I did some reading and it said that there are no differences from using or not using machine. That weight bearing ie walking was sufficient. I opted out and just tried walking a little bit more each day. I was in rehab for 2 weeks. Why go home when I can have everything done for me!! Glad I made that choice bc each time I saw it I cringed
That was in January of this year. Ltkr jan2014, rt hip resurfacing 2007 2010 hip dislocated, another rthr and 2011 rt shoulder replacement. No I'm just a special ed pre school teacher who has been restraint kids for 22 years!!!
Take care. Susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@lovemydog. If you're not happy with ur surgeon find another. That's what my brother and i did. My first hip resurfacing dislocate had pseudo tumor metal running thru blood stream and to top it off sued my dr (lost case). My surgeon at joint disease fixed my hip and my knee
If you want his info private message me. I would trust him with all my body parts.
Susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
As has been said before, there are three things to coping with this surgery - proper pain management, ice and elevation and rest! Follow the BoneSmart Mnatra and you won't go far wrong!

The BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!
 
Hi all,

Hope that everyone is comfortable tonight. I was just wondering if the problems listed below would require a special type of surgeon or technology for TKR, a particular type of prosthesis, or special rehab program:

1) lack of ACL
2) marked atrophy quads, tibialis anterior, hams, quads, gleuts
3) valgus deformity
4) feel like involved leg is wooden, trouble feeling muscles contracting when they do it just does not feel alive like my other leg(don't have any neuro problems but feel like my body weight does not go through that side while weight bearing on that leg). I started working with a personal trainer and found that I have to contort my body to get certain muscles to fire properly
5) limping with walking that I cannot correct, which I am thinking might be due to knee malalignment
6) my tibia is subluxing laterally on my femur and I was told my knee is unstable although it has never buckled on me.

The reason I ask is I am wondering if these problems are common for people headed for TKR, and if anyone has found that they improved after surgery. Thanks again for any feedback.
 
Hi @lovemydog
I'm going to ask @Josephine to answer your questions.

I don't think that the lack of an ACL is going to be much of a problem, because some types of prosthesis (replacement hardware) allow for the non-preservation of the internal knee ligaments. I know I have seen an article that Josephine posted which has illustrations of that, but I can't find it just now.

I have had both knees replaced and neither of them still has the internal knee ligaments - the type of prosthesis stabilises my knees.
 
I certainly didn't read anything that I think should be a concern for you going into surgery. The most important thing is to find an excellent surgeon who does a lot of knee replacements each year - at a minimum 150 TKRs and preferably more. An experienced surgeon will have dealt with everything you mention and should be able to get things realigned and put you on the way to more mobility.

Here are some articles from our BoneSmart Library that may be of interest to you:

Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?


Regardless of where you are in the process of deciding to have surgery, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
I agree--I bet there are lots of people who have some of the same problems. Certainly a ton of us have valgus knees. You should look up bottomshollow's thread and get a look at her husband's legs before and after. amazing improvement. My first knee was very unstable pre-surgery. The first time I stood up after the surgery the knee felt so strong and stable, I was quite excited.

My guess is that with muscle atrophy you will just need to remind your PT that Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
 
I was wearing knee braces that went down to the lower part of the calf, and to the upper part of the hip and I had a 4 wheeled walker with a seat. My students said I walked like a penguin, and I did. The surgery on both knees has given me my life back! My legs are now straight and I am back to my original height of 5'9 1/2. I had shrunk to 5'8!
 
Such issues are very common in knees suitable for TKR. Any or all of them. They are invariably part of the scenario.
 
I have arthritic muscle inhibition, and my knee joint is malaligned. I have atrophy in all of the muscles of my R leg, as well as difficulty with all of my activities of daily living due to pain and poor muscle firing pattern.
I was curious if anyone knows if after TKR surgery, does the arthritic muscle inhibition get worse due to the surgical damage, or does it ever get better so that the muscle bulk and strength increase? I am really scared that my muscles might shut down worse than they are now and I might not be ambulatory after the surgery, or that things might not improve after the surgery.
Thanks for any help.
 
I don't know about total. Big pain I had. My knee and cartleadge was gone. My patella was bad. So I have partial. He said less pain. Yeh I laugh. Shorter recovery. But it will be worth in end. Xxx good luck. Hope u get answers.


SonnysWife❤️
 
Please try to stop worrying. Your knee is not going to improve without the surgery, while there is every chance that you will see a gradual improvement after surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom