arthritic muscle inhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemydog

Country
United States United States
I have been told that it is not advised to jog/run on a tkr. I am 54 yo athlete, and would like to get my life back, but do not want to have revision. Have heard conflicting remarks on this. Has anyone with tkr been running/jogging, and if so how much and for how many years post op? If so. what type of prosthesis do you have and is it holding up? I am 5 feet 106#.

Thank you dearly for your replies

I have to have my knee replaced and I am absolutely terrified-afraid of botched surgery, pain, how long prosthesis will last(I am a 54 yo athlete-had been jogging 5 miles/day, cycling 25 miles, horseback riding 3-4x/week, hiking, ballroom dancing and it would be a blessing if I could get some of my life back as I have been so saddened by this loss) infections, and depression of being laid up and stuck in my home.
I understand that surgeon choice is important. Has anyone had surgery with Dr Steven Haas at Hospital For Special Surgery, and if so, what was your experience like?

Thanks all for your help

I have to have my knee replaced. I am a 54 year old athlete and I am terrified. I will need some emotional support before and after the surgery to help me survive, and was wondering if anyone was aware of any telephone support for someone like me.

Thanks dearly

Welcome to the forum! We are glad that you have found us!
how long prosthesis will last
Right now, they are lasting longer and longer---30 years or more---so nobody exactly knows!
am a 54 yo athlete-had been jogging 5 miles/day, cycling 25 miles, horseback riding 3-4x/week, hiking, ballroom dancing and it would be a blessing if I could get some of my life back as I have been so saddened by this loss
Many of us were exactly the same way! We watched our active lifestyle---so very enjoyable---go away and it appeared that our lives were going to be saddened forever.

After your TKR, you will regain your active lifestyle back---cycling, dancing, horseback riding, etc---all will be yours to enjoy again. I cycle about 120-160 miles a week---there are hikers, skiers, equestrians, runners, etc on this forum.
I have to have my knee replaced and I am absolutely terrified-afraid of botched surgery
Being nervous and afraid is all perfectly normal---all of us were---and you should pick a surgeon who does literally 100's of TKR's a year---if you trust your surgeon, you are good too go---a TKR surgery is the most often performed surgery in the world---and the success rate is phenomenal.

We have a great library here on this forum---the articles are rather short, but they contain tremendous information, and the more informed you are, the better you can understand all of the aspects that are involved in a TKR and the ensuing recovery---here they are for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five ā€œPā€™sā€ of knee recovery
TKR: work ā€œsmarterā€ and not ā€œharderā€
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

What you are feeling is very, very normal---and we will be here for you and to help you throughout the entire process. Please keep coming back ---ask any question, or pose any concern---we will help you get to your destination of reclaiming your active lifestyle.

@lovemydog , your best bet is to stay right here and post your concerns, frustrations and worries here. There are plenty of members who have either gone through TKR or are in recovery and sharing your journey with them really does help. We are here for you!

What are your concerns now? I'll give you some reading while you are waiting for others to reply. It looks like a long list but the articles are very short and they may answer some of your concerns:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five ā€œPā€™sā€ of knee recovery
TKR: work ā€œsmarterā€ and not ā€œharderā€
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I moved your thread to the TKR Pre-Op Area of the forum where it will get more focus and more responses.
I have been told that it is not advised to jog/run on a tkr.
I was also told very much the same thing---not to run.

Other members of this forum are runners, and there is a very famous runner/marathon runner who has had a TKR.

As an adult, you have to make a decision as to what is best for yourself---there are studies that indicate that implants are not bothered by these types of sports.

Take a look at this:
Sports after TKRr: Knee replacements not harmed by most sports
If so. what type of prosthesis do you have and is it holding up?
Do not worry at all about the implant that you will be getting---they are all excellent and will do everything you ask of them---there is no "good", "better", or "best" implants---what is paramount is the skill of your surgeon. Trust your surgeon--his skill is what matters.

As for running---I run a little bit when I umpire HS and college baseball, but I did drop running as a form of aerobic exercise and I now cycle. You, as an adult, have to make that decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot speak to the OS or the hospital, but I can echo what referee54 mentioned above - you're not alone in being scared. Even after I made the decision, and actually wrote a pros & cons list - I still struggle. I know I could go longer before surgery since I'm still mobile and not disabled. But, given how much longer my OS feels I could get from knees (maybe 5 years) if I did wait, I thought, why wait? In 5 years, I could be sick, unemployed or otherwise not in a position to do the surgery. Heck, I might not even be around then. And what will those 5 years buy me? Maybe it would push off a revision when I get older, maybe.

I'm totally lucky with my OS, though. I've been going to him since 1996 when I tore my cartilage the 2nd time, and he's been through everything with me. He has a fantastic reputation and I personally trust him. And, he's a really nice guy.

I'd rather just get on with it while I'm strong, healthy, employed and doing well so I can work towards really healing - instead of just trying to deaden the pain, avoiding doing the things I want and "waiting" as long as I can.

I am also an athlete and was freaked out by the prospect of a TKR. My knee is five years old and I still ski 100 days a year.

We have had a few runners on the board-=but most do something else after TKR---cycling, power walking. Bonnie did decide to run on her knee @RunA42K but, I don't think she does any more. I will let her talk since she was a runner and is about your size.

I had my BTKR when I was 53---seven years ago this past Saturday. Neither my original , eferrring OS, nor the OS who performed my BTKR, mentioned anything about waiting or having to have a revision down the road.

It is all about how you live your life in the now.

I agree with @referee54 your knees are not going to get better, that is for sure. I ski and cycle much better after the surgery than i did before. it.

I will give you a couple of the articles from the library which help us with the "is this a good plan" ... thinking.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

The person who inspired me to move forward with my TKR is the girls' assistant cross country coach at my son's high school. She had a TKR 15 years ago, when she was only 38. She runs 6-10 miles daily with the team.. and keeps up! She is petite like you. Note that xc is at least more forgiving than pavement.

Do you know the type of prosthesis she has and how far she runs?

Do you know the type of prosthesis she has and how far she runs?
Again, there is no "good", "better", or "best" implant---what matters most in any TKR is not the implant, but the skill of the surgeon.

Surgeons tend to prefer certain brands of implants---and those companies offer a wide variety to meet the patient's needs.

For example, my OS uses Stryker implants, and chose the Triathlon version for me.

Choose the surgeon, and trust him to select the correct implant for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am power walking/jogging getting ready for a 1/2 marathon. One day the right knee was sore, like the rest of my body, but it has become "a regular part of my body again!" :)

I am out living life, having fun, and enjoying the moments! :happydance:

We have had a few runners on the board-=but most do something else after TKR---cycling, power walking. Bonnie did decide to run on her knee @RunA42K but, I don't think she does any more. I will let her talk since she was a runner and is about your size.
I definitely will get back here to address this but I promised myself I'd be in bed by 10 pm and its 10:18 now and I have to get up for work in the morning.

Yes, I ran multiple miles on my TKR and a 1/2 marathon too, but finally came to terms with myself that running was not longer in my future after being over grown with scar tissue and a total knee revision (unless it was to Keep from getting hit by a car!) I'll be back...good night!

I agree 100% with Tim C. above. Choose your surgeon and let him decide which knee you need. My OS told me he'd have several different makes and models, along with a full range of sizes, available in the operating room. I didn't know until today (four weeks post op) which knee I got, because I kept forgetting to ask.

Yep, that's what BoneSmart is for!!! We are a worldwide forum with members on the forum at all times day or night to chat with you. Our staff has a lot of experience coaching people through recoveries - both the textbook wonderful recovery and those that present more challenges. So, I'd say you're in the right place her with BoneSmart.

Your surgeons office is also another resource. There is probably an RN or nurse clinician who could answer any questions as well. Start making a list of those questions and looking at the links that were posted for you. You will find a lot of answers, comfort and support here.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68