Revision TKR ArtGirl needs help with recovery woes

Wishing you the best with your revision!

I am 15 months post op from a Patellofemoral partial which I have never recovered from. I keep thinking this just can’t be right.

Like you, my X-rays look fine. At my one year checkup I had a list of 9 concerns. I will give my surgeon credit for actually reading my list, but he had no solutions, nothing to even say about the most important ones. He did comment on a minor one.

About a month ago I had my first second opinion. Top notch surgeon. He looked at my X-ray for about a minute and determined all was fine. He wouldn’t let me read my list of concerns. The appointment was very disappointing.

I don’t have the pain you do, but a lot of discomfort. My knee feels out of joint. It’s so aggravating! I do believe I have nerve damage and the second opinion surgeon put me on gabapentin. Almost 3 weeks later no relief of symptoms but plenty of side effects.

It is SO hard for us that do not have a good outcome yet we have a “perfect” X-ray.

Hugs to you, I really hope you have a successful revision. :console2:
 
P. S. How did this current surgeon figure out your knee problems if, as you said, and I have experienced, the X-ray looks fine?
 
Thank you
I'm not comfortable naming the Orthopod who performed my original surgery other than to say he practices here in Wilkes Barre.

No problem! The city is good enough. I really love the staff at Penn. I’ve worked with Rothman as well for shoulder and prevention on my bad knee. Just haven’t found a doc I like well enough at Rothman for my future TKR. All my docs so far at Rothman aren’t routine knee replacers. I’ve heard Dr Star at Rothman is amazing at TKRs, and also heard good things about Nazarian.

I hope he fixes you up! I know what it’s like to hear second opinions point out problems. I’ve had multiple doctors tell me my old ACL reconstruction (which failed years ago) was installed completely wrong. Hooray for going to a small town ortho I guess.
 
This is a response to "Jockette" regarding how my current surgeon determined my knee problem when the x-ray seemed normal: Simple: He performed a series of visual and physical exams. First, it's visually obvious my knee is very swollen because it has a lot of fluid on it; Second, when I bend or extend my knee (or walk, sit, stand), my knee makes audible clicking noises; Third, manual side-to-side manipulation clearly indicates gross tendon laxity and knee instability; Fourth, during knee extension there is a visible ligament impingement; and Fifth, my left foot is now turned outward ("slew foot") about 15 degrees. I don't believe any of those five items are clearly visible on x-rays. Also, during my Pre-Op testing, a weight-bearing bone scan was performed that revealed one hip was higher than the other--most probably caused by improper device alignment/placement (I'll learn more about that later). I hope that helped clarify. Thanks!
 
It did help, thank you for those details! My problem is different than yours, but the same frustrating perfect X-ray and so far very little hands on examination.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulty you're still having after such a long time. Now that it's been 1+ year since your surgery, you are free to seek out another Orthopod. I interviewed 3 TKR Specialists before I found one who had the training, experience and bedside manner that was a good fit for me. And I dismissed one doc because he was not honest about my right to keep my implant after surgery (BTW, you own your implant and have all rights to it forever unless you specifically waive that right).
Discomfort that's not alleviated by OTC pain relievers, ice packs, or physical therapy or having that feeling that it's "out of joint" does not sound normal to me--esp after so long. If you do not feel your concerns or issues are being addressed with one doc, move on to the next. You know your body. You know what's normal and what's not. Do not settle for a doc who dismisses your concerns. Be your own advocate. Keep pushing until you have the answers you need because you deserve a satisfying quality of life.
I'm not surprised your doc didn't give you any answers. I believe they're terrified of confirming or recognizing any problems because they think everyone is just waiting to sue! Nothing could be further from the truth for me. I want to get on with--not litigate--the rest of my life. I suggest having someone with you for all appts. My boyfriend attends every appointment with me because he's got a great memory and gives me emotional support I need. It's also amazing how much nicer a doc becomes when there's other people in the room!
Hang in there, girl. You'll find the right doc if you keep being persistent. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers~
 
Yes, our problems are different but the root issue is the same: Finding a doctor who will listen, see, and physically examine our body. Thanks for sharing your journey and for being so supportive. I appreciate that :)
 
UPDATE: I'm 2 weeks out from the revision on my left TKR. I'm relieved--no, THRILLED!--to say my knee felt better immediately and continues to improve every day! The pain is no where near the "normal" pain level it was pre-revision, I have better ROM now, I sleep better and I'm BRACE-FREE for the first time in 9 months! At the risk of being melodramatic, I have to say this surgery was truly a life-changer for me. I'd like to recognize my Ortho Surgeon for his outstanding skill, expertise and wonderful beside manner but am not sure if that's acceptable on this site so PM me if you'd like to learn more about where I went and who did my revision. Now that I've been cleared for PT, I plan on hitting the ground running (well, WALKING) and living life again! Thanks for your support and empathy on this TKR journey. I deeply appreciate everyone for caring!
 
Good report!
 
It's been 40 days since my TKR Revision. I've been doing most of my PT myself and started PT last week because I wanted some expert guidance on achieving my new fitness goals now that my leg can take it. My leg measured -4 degrees extension and 119 flexion, so I'm really happy with it. It still gets stiff and sometimes wakes me up at night, but I'll take this over the previous nightmare ANY DAY. I just started using a heating pad to help loosen things up and it's working great. Thanks to everyone for your support. I really appreciate it!
 
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are doing do well after your revision, and have your life back.
 
Back
Top Bottom