Revision TKR ArmyVet's recovery thread<<

I was in such pain today, I called the 24 hour nurse, and she told me to go to the ER. I was seen by the supervising ER doc, who verified that @Josephine had it right!!! They are scheduling me for a steroid shot this week, since they can't do them in the ER, and gave me Voltaren Gel to put on my hip to see if that will help at all.

Thank you Josephine, for sharing your knowledge with all of us here!!!!
 
You are most welcome!

[Bonesmart.org] ArmyVet's recovery thread<<
 
@Josephine-- I just pulled up my xray report from when I saw the ER doc this past Saturday. Radiologist says stage 3 osteoarthritis in my right hip, and suggests ortho to see me regarding THR. Ok, so... Could this be related to the fact that I had to wait 20 years for TKR on that side??
 
I doubt it. Joints don't usually relate to one another when they go bad!
 
@Josephine and anyone else that might be interested...

I am now 5½ months post TKR. One of the kids in the neighborhood came over and needed help with his homework. He likes to sit on the floor. Well, to see what he was doing, I did too!! I never even thought about it. I just sat "INDIAN STYLE"- AND IT DIDN'T HURT!!!! It was amazing!! And it was easy to get up off the floor, too!!! I can't remember the last time I sat on the floor comfortably. Can't remember the last time I sat Indian style. Can't remember the last time I could get up easily.

This was the best decision I have ever made!!!!
 
That’s is so great!! You made me smile!
:wowspring::happydance::spin:
 
Ladies and Gentlemen-- I am in need of your assistance again!! It looks like I am no longer in recovery, but now planning for ANOTHER new knee-- on the same knee!!! My orthopedic doc says my bone is "dissolving" and they don't know what caused it yet.. They are going to stick a needle in me on Tuesday and drain some fluid to see if it's an infection or not. Doc says he will have to do a complete replacement of the implant (I didn't know, and asked if he couldn't just 'fill in the pothole'), so it looks like I get to go on this ride all over again!!! At least this time, I know I don't have to go to therapy, since I know all the exercises, and I have YOU wonderful people who taught me so much with my first one!!
 
If you do have an infection, it is important to get an infectious disease doctor on board with your team. He/she will find out what is causing the infection and the treatment. The fact that your bone is "dissolving" seems odd to me? what did he call it in medical terms? I will tag @Josephine to give you some expert advice.
 
I wonder if the doc is talking about bone resorption, which I what I had with my left tibial implant. I was tested for infection too, but mine turned out to be aseptic loosening, and just had a revision on Tuesday. Thinking of you.
 
I had pain on the medial lower side of my knee. When I walked, it felt like my knee was coming out of socket and going back in-- like if you pull on your finger and how it pops in and out?? I had been seeing him every couple months so he could check on it, but this last time, it had been hurting worse than before. Where I had been walking 3+miles a day 5 months after replacement, now I couldn't do a half mile without screaming pain..
 
@ArmyVet can you please post the original image of the xray and without the pen mark on it?
What you have posted has an inadequate definition for me to explore.
 
Okay, well I could sort of see it. It's a patch of osteolysis or idiopathic bone loss or resorption (as swmrgirl described it). All terms that mean exactly the same thing! And in short, means the tibial component is loose.
 
I wonder if the doc is talking about bone resorption, which I what I had with my left tibial implant. I was tested for infection too, but mine turned out to be aseptic loosening, and just had a revision on Tuesday. Thinking of you.

What was the revision like?? Same recovery as the original replacement? I'm wondering how different this will be, since I am trying to plan for after the surgery..
 
So far it’s very similar to the original TKR except this knee feels different, much more stable than the original. My new surgeon said to expect a similar recovery. It took me about a year to finally have the revision done and by then, the loose implant had become extremely painful. In retrospect, I wish I had done the revision months ago.
 
@Josephine and all of you other wonderful people here--

Saw my surgeon yesterday. Yes, it's osteolysis. He did an aspiration on my knee, and we will know definitively in 14 days what the next step is. He gave me two outcomes: If my knee is infected, we go in for revision. If there's NO infection, we do a bone scan first, THEN the revision. LOL. So thanks much, and I'll see you all on the flip side once it's all done again!!!
 
I’m so sorry you are heading for revision, I think it’s our worst fear, at least I know it is for me.

I’ve been able to put that fear aside lately, but that’s only because it’s not an option right now. Right now I am “blissfully” trying to accept my new normal, which it’s a little easier to do now that it’s shorts and sandals weather again.

Best wishes for this next phase. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom