THR Are We There Yet?

Good Wednesday morning, @bickypeg. Just wanted to say that my OS said the same thing yesterday, that folks with the most damaged hips have the very best outcomes. I wasn't sure what to make of that since my right hip was pretty bad but I certainly wasn't in the agonizing pain that some describe. I guess I was just being cautioned that I really need to wait until the left is as bad as the right, but not so long that I'm truly miserable. I think there will be a surgical "sweet spot" in my future and I will just need to wait and see. For now, I'm trying strengthening and building flexibility and endurance and hope to stave it off. The OS suggested I could consider shots in my hip but I shot that down quickly. I haven't read anywhere that they work long term, they sound really painful and might not even provide any relief! I'd rather go for the permanent fix if my left hips starts wobbling too badly. Anyway, thanks for checking in with your thoughts.
 
...I wasn't sure what to make of that since my right hip was pretty bad but I certainly wasn't in the agonizing pain that some describe. I guess I was just being cautioned that I really need to wait until the left is as bad as the right, but not so long that I'm truly miserable. I think there will be a surgical "sweet spot" in my future and I will just need to wait and see. For now, I'm trying strengthening and building flexibility and endurance and hope to stave it off....

@Barbaraj Your words mirror my own general THR situation so precisely that I could just copy and paste your posts on to my own thread! :) I'm a couple months ahead of you, so if we continue on the same trajectory, you can just follow my thread, and when you see this: "Left hip finally gave out--if only I had booked my next surgery two months ago!! then grab your phone and book that THR.

Ah, if only it were that simple. Anyway, you are doing well, keep it up.
 
My original GP - the one who had worked in orthopaedics- thought I should go ahead all those months ago, but she did say often those with the worst x rays weren't necessarily in most pain. And she was very supportive when I demurred and prescribed stronger painkillers and booked physio classes for me and an appointment with the surgeon. I think I was stupid not to take her initial advice but I can't have been that bad. It was only the following summer I realised I couldn't cope at work any more. So it's not an exact science. Go by how you feel.
 
Thanks for all the sage advice, folks, I am appreciative of your thoughts, @An54 and @bickypeg. I think the "wait and see", at least for now, is the path I'll be following. As I said, I do want to at least try to get some strength and flexibility back, my body feels so old and flabby these days that getting back into more regular, consistent exercise is a goal for me with the hope, even though perhaps futile, that somehow it will help to build up the muscles in my glutes/core/quads and thus relieve a bit of the aching that's started to kick up in my left hip. I am going to drive to the gym by myself this morning and do a short workout, and I'm looking forward to PT tomorrow. I am not sure if my gait is normal, and the referral to PT was to work on both strengthening and "gait training" so we'll see what they say. I think tomorrow is just an assessment, and I'll probably get one or two appointments next week when I'll start doing some targeted exercises, and--heavy sigh--get some "homework" as well. But I did so well in PT before (when I had sciatica and thought it was my back, never dreaming I had bum hips!) that I'm hopeful if I am compliant at the sessions and then faithful about home exercises it will buy me some time.

A beautiful, sunny day here in the PNW--love this kind of weather. Sure, it's cold out there but I can always bundle up when I go out. I just love being inside and looking out through windows and seeing the sunshine pour across our yard and garden areas, highlighting the fall foliage and absolutely boosting my mood and energy. It's so often gray and drizzling this time of year, so the gift of blue skies and sunshine is really wonderful. I am looking forward to a good day, and hope everyone else is as well!
 
Last edited:
Midday here in the PNW, but I dragged myself slowly out of bed this morning, clearly overdid things yesterday--I am an idiot--with too long on the elliptical, even on low resistance, followed by cooking, laundry, dishwasher load and unload, and then ballet lesson for my granddaughter that involves two sets of stairs up and down, plus a walk to the local library to read, about 2 blocks downhill from her lesson, but two uphill blocks on the way back. My husband even commented last night, "Boy, you are really dragging tonight". I went to bed a bit early, but then woke up around 3:30, was up for almost 2 hours before drifting back to sleep, only to be jarred awake by my husband's alarm clock at 6:30 AM. He had a meeting this morning and wanted to be out of the house early.

Groan...as I got up slowly I remembered today was my first PT appointment--rats! I showered and drove over to my appointment. I was assigned to an older woman who said I was doing remarkably well, although it was evident I had left side weakness which we'll be working on in the weeks to come. She said my right hip actually appeared to be pretty strong--hallelujah--but I know with no exercise for 6+ weeks, plus the gradual onset of left hip pain I've probably been favoring my right hip, operated or not. She did say it was reasonable to work on core/quad building so maybe I can push off the left hip for a good chunk of time--I told her "I'm in" and will be a good patient. I got two exercises to do daily and I'm sure I can manage that. Plan for the afternoon, however, is to just sink into a chair and read, and probably doze off given my poor sleep last night. It's family game night with our kids and I know I'll be exhausted so a nap isn't a terrible idea. Therapist also gave me some direction about cardio--three times a week, but no resistance to start and knock back the incline (which I'd forgotten about). Again, this is very "do-able" so will take her words to heart and hope that working with her will make things better going forward.

Now, off to veg...
 
Last edited:
:wave:@Barbaraj, we don't know our boundaries until we push them a bit! Doesn't mean we should do it daily, and but we learn from our mistakes most of the time :heehee:....and thank goodness for :ice:ing!!! Hope you are having a lovely nap and will wake up feeling refreshed for family game night!

Sounds like your PT appointment went well. You have a plan moving forward and also some guidelines so you don't over do the cardio!! I'm making a mental note on the elliptical advice....although it seems like a million years away before I'll be starting all that....2019!

I drove to see my young horses again today...drove myself there and back, on my own, and stayed for an hour chatting with the trainer as he was working. I'm on ice in the recliner until I have to go and feed the other two :fasthorse: dinner around 4 PM. I'll be nodding off by 7:30 tonight I'm sure! Sure good to see my boy!:yes:

Hope you have a super evening with the family :)
 
Good morning, waking up to some sunshine finally filtering through the clouds. Initially when I got up it was very foggy, but that seems to have gone and now just clouds with some streaks of blue and a bit of sunshine--good start to the day. I slept well, although left hip is clearly stiff and a bit hard finding a comfortable position for sleep. Today there is nothing on my agenda really. I will shortly do my new PT exercises and then may hoof off to the gym for a bit of cardio. House smells dreadful at the moment (simmered dried garbanzo beans for 45 minutes, after soaking them overnight) so feeling as if I need to bake some sort of sweet treat this afternoon to get rid of yucky boiling bean smell! It's a new hummus recipe I'm trying, which requires you start out with the dry garbanzo beans instead of my usual go-to recipe which involves dumping canned garbanzos into my food processor. But I like trying new recipes out so we'll see how this one goes once the hummus has a chance to mellow in the fridge for awhile.

Family game night was fun and tiring at the same time. Youngest son brought his new girlfriend and I wonder whether she actually had a good time or was appalled by all the noise and everyone talking over one another. We are not a reserved crowd. Older son was on snack duty and unaccountably brought frozen tater tots and French fries (which he then overcooked/dried out in the oven), a quart of strawberries and some very ancient chocolate. What happened to the usual bags of chips and pretzels maybe? Oh, well, lots of wine was consumed so maybe nobody but me (who was drinking ice water) noticed the peculiar snacks on offer.

Hope those in Bonesmart Land have a great start to their weekend.
 
A sunny start to the day, very pretty out there--a gorgeous fall day! I've been up since 6:30, wolfed down a homemade cinnamon roll, made last night, and a latte. I made two pans of these rolls (WHY??!!) but one of 'em I'll get rid of this afternoon. Then made pita chips for an event we're attending this afternoon, a gathering at a neighbor's house to watch the Seahawks play. Admittedly, I find football boring and could care less if they win or lose (but want them to lose because my husband sure does!) but it is nice to get together with friendly folks even if the reason for the event is football viewing. Later on today my brother and his new girlfriend are coming over for a drink and snacks and then we'll hit the local bar where my son hosts trivia. A busy day for me.

I need to do my PT exercises this morning, and fortunately there are only two and quite manageable. I will skip the gym today as I was advised to go every other day. Right hip is feeling strong and comfortable this morning, left one is rather achy. But I know that working on building up musculature will help and, boy, at some point I'd like to do some sort of stretching that will get my tight quads in better shape. As I am well aware, it's a process--and rushing things won't make it happen any faster so I'm trying to slow down and behave myself. I really do think that this aspect of hip replacement recovery is toughest. When I was really disabled in the early days of recovery I wouldn't have felt able to do anything. Now I feel like I could try some things but I know I am absolutely prone to overdoing things at this stage and have to be extra careful not to be stupidly aggressive with my body. On one hand, I am 6-1/2 weeks out, but then--I am only 6--1/2 weeks out! Deep breath, stay the course and be good--mantra for today and the upcoming days.
 
Deep breath, stay the course and be good--mantra for today and the upcoming days.

excellent advice hip sister @Barbaraj, and how wonderful for you to have a sunny day in the PNW. I also find football quite boring, however i have been known to watch the last 5 minutes of the last quarter of the super bowl. Glad you're feeling good. I am too. I have been going on and doing what i need to do. I do still get tired around 2-3 in the afternoon. the up swing is that quite often I'm going about my day, and i have completely forgotten that i have the new hip. Which is so wonderful to finally start putting all of that in the back column. I am taking it as easy as I can, i know that once i get to 8 weeks I can start to push myself beyond the daily chores. I have taken to writing ridiculous detailed to do lists, and am moving back towards controlled productivity as opposed to a chaotic procrastination "binge".

I'm not gaining anymore weight, but I do need to drop the extras I have put on. Boy would i love to eat those cinnamon rolls, glad they are at your house and not mine. A friend who usually sabotages my healthy eating lifestyle during the holidays asked me about her yearly gift of fudge, and all the rest of here goodies. I told her no. This time, I just don't want it be tempted by it. She said she will look into something more diet friendly and low in carbs. Tomorrow is a Monday, and Monday is a good day to start a weight loss program. I talked to my PT and a nutritionist, so I have a good plan. I just have to get the sugar cravings worked out. which i am slowly getting under control. At least I'm not eating sugar after dinner anymore. Big step. Sugar is my addiction. I don't see the OS until the 20th. hopefully we have a plan for the hip flexor tendonitis. I hope at that time i can be cleared for a bath. It has been since the last week of July that Have been able to soak in a tub. I cut my leg in early August and have been banned from the tub since then. I am so looking forward to a nice long soak with a good book.

I think I have my puppy picked out, we are going down next week to see them. They will be ready to come home on Dec 15. I am so excited. Have a great weekend.
cheers
 
Well, hi there, @Lmflora, so glad to hear that all's going well in your neck of the woods! I envy you somewhat because your September 26 surgery was your second surgery, and with only two hips, no more issues and just getting stronger every day! My left hip, the unoperated one, is cranky and aches periodically but I am firmly resolved to see if I can get strong and flexible again, and put a second surgery off as long as I can.

Funny that sugar is your downfall--I am just the opposite; I am on the fats/salt axis in terms of tempting food, although I am a major sucker for home baked treats. We just got back from football watching (big yawn...) and I successfully offloaded the pan of cinnamon rolls with the threat that if folks didn't take them, they were going into the garbage when I got home! But you are sensible for looking to a nutritionist for a healthy diet in the upcoming months, to shed those pesky added pounds, and I'm betting if you can make it through the holidays (a terrible time of year for minding food intake, even for those not trying to lose weight!) you'll coast into 2019 and feel quite cheerful and rarin' to go! If you love fudge, ask your friend to just give you a very small amount. I am not a huge fan of low calorie sweets--I'd rather have a good few mouthfuls of something decadent but not have any further temptations hanging about. I love those little mini boxes of chocolates--most fancy chocolates stores have them (like Godiva or Frans) where you only get a few pieces of chocolate, enough to savor but not enough to torpedo your diet. Best of luck to you--with you "to do" list and sensible approach with nutritionist and PT, I believe you are going to do very well. And so cool that you have the puppy selected and only a few more weeks until you bring your baby home! Have a great weekend yourself!
 
A quick check-in this morning, as I sit here with an aching left hip and realize I have a number of things to do this morning--PT exercises, cardio at the gym, picking up meds at the pharmacy, trip to the grocery store (what the heck are we having for dinner tonight...groan) and then maybe a running a couple of errands with a friend. It seems daunting but I need to remember I've got time and don't need to add mental pressure to the load.

Not sure why my hip is aching, other than the obvious one (duh...it's got arthritis) but I slept pretty well after taking a bit of time to get comfortable last night. I really, really, REALLY hope the PT lady can help me get this under control, sooner rather than later. I am at risk for getting very discouraged (clearly, morning caffeine hasn't kicked in enough) because the right hip is doing so well and I just want a period of relative pain free existence before having to think about a second surgery. So many out there are in far worse shape than I am, I know, but I just long for the "good ole days" of not having to think about my hips at all!

Okay, off to get dressed and jet out of here. Let's hope a bit of cardio will help make me feel "normal" this morning, and get rid of the blues. Happy Monday!
 
@Barbaraj

So sorry that your left leg seems to be giving you more problems than your new one. What you want is perfectly understandably, just to get on with your life, without your hips calling the shots.

That day will come...

Warmest regards
 
Awww...thanks @Ginny12 and @SurreyGirl, you are both sweet. I am just woke up in "one of those moods" today, a little mini-pity party. But I did head to the gym for 40 minutes trudging away slowly on the elliptical, followed by a shower and then off to the grocery store (decided on beef barley soup for tonight's dinner) and then the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. Started the soup in my crockpot and waiting for a friend to pick me up for a quick trip to a few stores. I don't need anything, but it gets me out of the house and out of my head so all to the good. My attack of the "grouchies" is still lingering a bit, but hopeful by day's end I'll be back to being grateful for my blessings and not so whiny. Thanks for checking in!
 
Last edited:
Well, feeling pretty good this morning. I have my second PT appointment at midday, and then a book group meeting tonight. For whatever reason--not questioning, just happy to report--I am feeling pretty good this morning, no achy hip or bad mood, so perhaps this will be a cheerful day for me. I think getting some exercise yesterday morning helped to clear the cobwebs away, and then I went shopping with a friend yesterday afternoon, arriving home to find my beef barley soup perfuming the house with a lovely, comforting scent. It was a good ending to a day that started out a bit rocky, and I'm grateful for that. Need to get up, shower, make some cookies for a book group meeting tonight, and prepare for PT session--onwards!
 
Horrid, soggy morning out there today, with steady rain and a bit of wind. I'm off to the gym shortly, to get in a cardio workout and a shower before returning home. I had PT yesterday and it went well. I had the same guy I saw months ago, before my diagnosis of hip arthritis while I thought I just had sciatica (!) so that was pleasant. He said I was doing really well (okay, I think they are supposed to say that to everyone, to be encouraging) but he put me through my paces, added another exercise to my home routine, and I finished off the session with a heating pad and electrical stim. It is different that pre-surgery, as they always iced before--the heat felt lovely and I think I could have tried to nap but for the fact you are in a big room with lots of activity going on and not exactly conducive to dozing off. Home after that, baked some cookies for last night's book group meeting and ended the day feeling cheerful although stiff--need to remember to get up, stand and move about a bit in the evenings. Right hip seems to be recovering well, but it needs to move around so it doesn't get settled in one position for too long. Rolling out of bed in the morning is always a bit of a challenge, it always takes me about 10 minutes before I feel able to move comfortably and smoothly.
 
That all sounds quite normal. I am doing well but have difficulty getting out of chairs and cars if in them for too long.

I am massaging the scar twice a day now and also using some of the advice on here to massage with knuckles as hard as I can go in small circles around the wound and up into the buttock. That combined with stretches eases the stiffness quicker.

My OH lady said to get up every half and hour and walk around. Not always easy!

Hope things are going well for you ..
 
Thanks for checking in, @SurreyGirl. I do put an ointment on the scar tissue in the morning and before bed, but I'm not kneading it really, just smoothing it on. I suspect a posterior scar requires more work since it's placed such that if it's tight, it might interfere with activity. My scar looks awful but given its placement it doesn't seem to affect my daily life. I think the stiffness I have is just in the overall hip, and certainly in my pesky left hip. I agree that getting up and moving around regularly is so important--and I don't do it enough. I got book from a friend which I've spent all day reading (but I am a very fast reader) but it did involve hours this afternoon in our broken recliner so I was really stiff by late afternoon, and my dry eyes are burning as well. I know better--heavy sigh--but when you get caught up in something stubbornness (or foolishness) can take over. Finally got up to move stiffly downstairs to take laundry out of the dryer and reheat some soup for dinner. I stood in the kitchen and did some stretching as I waited for the microwave to finish up and feeling a bit better now--just need to put in some eye drops as well. Hope all's going well for you, too.
 
Hi! 04:36 here so still waking up at daft times!

I get frustrated at my slow progress but hubby points out that I am so much better than one month ago and lists what I have achieved andhe is right.

You are right about the posterior scar, it is in an awkward place :-)

Work is exhausting and I ice and put my feet up for an hour when I get home to reduce any slight swelling from driving etc. This seems to work and I am taking very few painkillers.

I must get up and stretch more at work as I do sieze up otherwise.!

I wish my boss had not overruled Occ Health re the working from home but there is nothing I can do. After the driving I am so stiff it takes me a while to get going which I am sure is unproductive. If I was really unwell I could make a complaint and HR would have to take it seriously, but I don’t want to go that route as have never been a moaner, so will just have to get through it. Roll on Christmas!

I will get the ecg results soon so am hoping and expecting that the incident two weeks ago was a fluke.

Hope you are continuing to recover beautifully and you will have to set your alarm clock to get up and walk between chapters of your books :-)
 
It's the mood swings that irritate me @Barbaraj especially as they don't seem to have much to do with what's going on in my life, nor even how disabled I am on a particular day.I just swallow lots of vitamins especially B complex but not sure if they help. Some days I feel like a disabled old lady and on others I'm as happy as can be and I make ambitious plans.Not sleeping properly doesn't help.
I can't get on with icing at all and it doesn't seem to be recommended by my hospital or physios particularly. I still worry slightly about my circulation despite having it checked and I know ice won't help that. I do love a hot water bottle especially on my non operated side at night.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom