Guest viewing is limited

THR Are We There Yet?

Well, @MrDIY, I think I can guess what you'd say as a brave bilateral hip guy! Interesting that I've had no feedback from "delay as long as you can" folks!

Wish I could ship you the rest of my muffins. I was actually trolling the internet last night and came across the recipe for "orange kiss me cake" which is the cake I remember from my childhood so, feeling bored and slightly nostalgic, I decided to make the recipe into muffins (err, cupcakes). Good news is that they were so delicious, just like I remember from when I was a kid (my mom would often make it, at my request, for my birthday)--although bad news is that my downfall is always home baked goods. I could fill the house with candy and ice cream and easily steel my self discipline--I am helpless with baked goods!
 
I would only say delay as long as you can if your other hip was not causing issues or at least very minimal issues. In other words, If your left never got any worse would your quality of life be satisfactory?

Personally my right hip was far worse of the two but my left still caused pain and had the same ROM issues though slightly better than the right. So realizing it was a matter of time and wanting to rid myself of the ROM issues once and for all it was a relatively easy decision for me.

With regards to the baked goods. Normally I am pretty immune to the draw of sweets of all kinds. However when I am ill or in recovery that immunity diminishes! I have literally been eating everything I can get my hands on. I texted my wife the other day and asked, “Can you get me a donut on the way home?” She responded yes and asked what I wanted. I told her a buttermilk, a chocolate cake with nuts, and an apple fritter. She then texted back, “that’s not A donut!” Of course I ate them all that night with a large glass of milk!
 
Okay. Now I want muffins and donuts.
Instead I'm having a beer and honey mustard pretzels while I fish.
Next best thing...:realing:
 
Totally get the doughnut splurge, @MrDIY--that was me a week or so ago when I had my husband hit Krispy Kreme in the morning and I wolfed down a couple of those gut bombs, plus an overly sweetened latte--and then felt horrible afterwards! Your wife sounds like a real sweetie for giving in to the doughnut craving and bringing home more than one. And @Mojo333, while I am sure they are good, honey mustard pretzels just don't cut it when you're craving sweets! But on the other hand, doughnuts and fishing don't sound like a particularly good combo!

Also, @MrDIY, it's hard to say if I could "live" happily if my left hip continued to act up. I realize I'm still healing from #1, and I would like, if given the okay next week, to get back into more targeted PT and exercise with the hope (perhaps futile, but you never know) I could strengthen up the musculature around my hip and maybe stave off surgery for awhile. But then I think, WHY?!! It's only going to get worse, and one of the reasons I refused any injections and went straight to surgery for my right hip is the inexorable fact that arthritis is simply going to get worse and nothing can stop it. I was managing "okay" before surgery but it wasn't a full and active life. I suppose if I didn't have an alternative I'd just suck it up, but as I noted before, maybe it's just time to take the plunge. I don't think I could have done a bilateral like you or @Mojo333, although I have tremendous respect for anyone who has this done, but having now survived one surgery fairly easily, I think I can probably steel myself for a second one sooner rather than later. Let's see what the surgeon says on Tuesday, I guess.
 
Keep us posted. I suspect, brave lady, that you will go for it. Keeping a journal in this recovery will help you look back and know what to expect although of course “no two recoveries are the same”... to quote the BS mantra.

You will now know how to “stave off boredom”, “what Netflix is for”, how to resist the “attack of the Krispy Kreme doughnuts” and how to bring out the ”best” of your husband’s cooking skills.

:-)
 
It is a journey with a better life at the end...but not one we particularly wish to take voluntarily.
We all have just our own experiences to shape our perceptions of recovery, but as my doctor is the one who felt bilateral was the way to go and I was already shell-shocked with the diagnosis of endstage OA..I just went with it.
I have always felt that having to do it again took more bravery...
I went into BTHR fairly oblivious.
Thank goodness it was one and done.
As they say...
It was real, it was fun...but it wasn't real fun!
I can say I wouldn't wish anyone to hurt pre-op the way I was hurting.
 
Good Sunday morning, y'all. Feeling a bit achy this morning for some reason, although shouldn't given that I was pretty much a slug yesterday. I might even pop some Tylenol this morning as my husband and I are going over to our daughter's house today to watch active kiddies, ages 4 and 6. My daughter and her husband are off to the Seahawks game today, so we've offered to babysit. I sometimes think that I've now reached the stage in recovery where failing to do some exercise daily means that the following day I am more stiff and achy--go figure!

I don't know, @Mojo333, I still think a bilateral is a HUGE step and while I can appreciate the general cluelessness that might have preceded that decision, I am sure looking back that you are appreciative of what it takes to get through that surgery and lengthy recovery. I think in some ways, as awful as it might have been pre-surgery, it helped you in that it was so bad you were willing to agree to a bilateral surgery to rid yourself of awful pain. In some ways, for someone like myself who wasn't/isn't in terrible pain, it causes one to doubt oneself more, "gosh, it's not that bad...maybe I can wait awhile", stretching out and agonizing over the decision for much longer than is needed. In the end, we'll all make decisions about surgery based on our medical condition, medical advice and our own personalities. I confess I am more of a "do it now" kind of person, I loathe sitting around and worrying about decisions, perseverating endlessly. If something needs to get done, I am usually pretty much willing to proceed rather than the endless anticipation and anxiety wearing on me. So, we'll see what Tuesday's meeting suggests in terms of going forward.
 
Can't recall if you've mentioned, sorry if I've missed it....is your left hip end stage, or stage four arthritis?
I understand your reservation, I'd struggle with a decision also. I do have arthritis in my non op hip but have been told by two separate OA's surgery is a long time off. We'll see. I feel like I've learned otherwise since being here so I'm cautiously optimistic. Also, it doesn't bother me and in a few ways still offering better ROM than my op leg!

I do know if the deterioration was interfering with my life at all, or causing me pain, I'd probably schedule surgery. I know I wouldn't wait as long as I did with my first, knowing what I do now through firsthand experience. I guess I'd let pain levels / frequency coupled with range of mobility guide me in my decision.
I'll be curious to hear what your OS advises. Hope you have a nice Sunday!
@Barbaraj
 
Hi there hip twin @Barbaraj :wave:

Hope your weekend was awesome. We took another backcountry drive. Pretty country.

arthritis is the thing we can all point to and say, yes this is sufficiently far along and painful enough that I can now give my self the “luxury”of a THR, instead of being brave and tough it out until we just can’t handle it anymore. And if we can assign a measurement to that deterioration, then it helps us to make that decision.

I guess I am just a lot more impatient! I did not have an arthritis problem this time (yet). I had a bone spur, torn labrum, and the cartilage was gone, so the next step would have been a stage number for arthritis. But I was at that point where the pain was unpredictable, and I’m a control freak, i couldn’t stand not being able to launch into something and be relatively certain I wouldn’t end up curled up in the chair around a heating pad.

My point my dear hip sister is that , if your quality of life is going down because of pain, or the unpredictability of that pain, that is something you need to consider and discuss with your OS.

I hate to see you having bad days. I’m sure you will make the right decision for you. We’ll be there when the time comes.:flwrysmile:
 
Well, happy Monday morning, the start of a new week. Kind of gloomy out there, with rain predicted later on today, but feeling pretty good despite a tiring day with the grands. The preventative dose of Tylenol in the morning worked pretty well, but I was glad to throw my carcass into bed last night after we got home from babysitting followed by Trivia. It is really amazing to think it's almost six weeks since my surgery, but I really am living my life mostly pain-free and comfortably. Sure, I suffer from stiffness (getting out of chairs and taking that first step, or standing after getting up from bed in the morning) but I also realize I'm no spring chicken and maybe even absent hip replacement surgery I'd be creaking a little! Only other residual issues are a lumpy and ugly scar, and some numbness on the outside of my operated leg's thigh. Not bad, I think, and I'm eager to be released to get in more exercise in the coming weeks along with a return to driving. Tomorrow's 6 week check in is another big milestone and may set the course moving forward, I hope.

Thanks to both @Layla and @Lmflora for weighing on the "when" (not--heavy sigh--if) to have a second surgery. I know there is really not correct answer here, I am just looking for folks' opinions, and I do appreciate folks taking the time to respond. I am only, as of my last X-ray, at a "stage 3" in terms of arthritis in my left hip ("moderately severe", I was told) but until the right hip replacement it was giving me no trouble. It's only as I've resumed more activity (notice particularly on the elliptical at the gym, despite only 30 minutes with no resistance--that same groin ache that was triggered in my right hip before surgery) that I've had to start thinking about the inevitability of a second hip replacement in my future.

I can't say that I'm "in pain" with hip #2, but then I didn't feel horrible prior to surgery #1. But I also know that with #1, I coped with discomfort by deliberately not doing things that might bring on real pain--no long walks in my neighborhood with friends, cutting back on my gym workouts, passing on activities which I felt would stress my hips. In other words, my world was purposefully narrowed. I agree that waiting until that point with hip #2 seems foolish--like you, @Lmflora, I am a bit of a control freak as well, and waiting for pain is not a productive way to live my life. But, if there is a chance (cue advice and counsel at tomorrow's appointment) that I might be able to strengthen the musculature around my left hip and put off this surgery without restricting my activity, then I might be inclined to wait. Clearly, it's not a exact science and no surgeon is going to tell me, barring unusual circumstances, that I MUST have this surgery done. So, stay tuned and we'll see what tomorrow's appointment reveals. In the meantime, off to the gym and grocery store with chauffeur husband today. Another day on the recovery journey for me. Hope everyone who might read this has an excellent day!
 
Last edited:
Best of luck for your appt tomorrow. I hope all goes well.
Watch out, Barbaraj is gonna be back on the road! :driver: Now you'll be rarin' to go every day.
Let us know how your office visit goes. Hope you have a great week!
@Barbaraj
 
@Barbaraj I'm desperate to have my second hip done but I hadn't even realised there were stages of arthritis until a late letter to the GP revealed I had end stage arthritis. I thought the Registrar was just being unpleasant when he told me last autumn my only alternative to a THR was a wheelchair. On the other hand, and this may cheer you, either the consultant or the nurse repeating his words after my op said that those with the most damaged hips seemed to have the most successful outcomes. But if I were you I'd still go for it! I think I was foolish staggering on in pain for so long. You tend to forget what is normal activity as you become so used to compensating.
 
Well, I had my 6 week check-in this morning and, good news--I'm released from further doctor's appointments with the surgeon until next September--woo, hoo! Based on new X-rays today, right hip is healing nicely, scar is great, and I'm released to drive, start resuming (slowly) more exercise (i.e., for longer periods of time and increasing resistance on cardio equipment) and have a referral to PT for "gentle strengthening and gait training". I've already contacted PT, the same folks I went to before surgery, and have an appointment scheduled for this coming Friday.

They were very cautious about when left hip replacement might be necessary. The X-rays confirmed again that I'm at a "stage 3" in my left hips, clearly arthritic, but only "moderately severe". The doctor agreed that it would make sense to see if I can do PT and strength building so that the musculature around the hip will perhaps be more supportive and help me put off a second surgery for a good while, at least a year they think. Obviously, if things get worse and I start limping again or experiencing more severe aching/pain, this can be revisited. I was encouraged by this plan, and want to really try exercise/PT and hope that might help stave off more surgery for a good bit of time. It wasn't a long visit (just long time waiting around--heavy sigh--in the waiting room) and as the doctor waved me out the door he just said, "Stay thin, be active and we'll see you in a year".

It does take, they said, around 6 - 18 months for a full recovery, gauged somewhat by when I no longer think about or am aware of my new hip, which makes sense to me. I hope to continue being sensible about increased activity--continue to press forward but not stupidly. He said that too much exercise isn't going to affect my new hip, my muscles will just be sore if I'm foolish--and I can live with that. A new day begins (and sunny out there so far, an excellent mood booster for me) and a clear path toward full recovery (knock on wood) going forward. Ah, feeling pretty darn happy today!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great followup appointment @Barbaraj ! Look out world she is on the road again!

Yes, it does indeed take 6-18 months to full heal and get to the "forgotten hip" stage. Meanwhile ease into any PT or increased gym activity. We see so many members here who are released from restrictions and go full speed into their former gym activities; only to become totally depressed with the aches and pains. Treat that new hip with respect and it will thank you everyday.
 
Thanks so much, @Jaycey! I will try to ease back into exercise and PT, as the goal is to build up strength, endurance and flexibility slowly but surely. I've been active all my life, and it was hard to really slow down before surgery and certain the six weeks following surgery (although fatigue/energy drain ensured that I wasn't overdoing things). I am not a crazed bike rider, marathon runner or gymnast--just a normal, active woman with a good and comfortable life. That is what I'm focusing on getting back to, so I will be good, I promise. Still, this good appointment was very uplifting, and I'm eager to get my "real" life back!
 
Hey there hip twin @Barbaraj , sounds like you had a great visit. So glad to hear you're cleared to do the things you love to do. Hopefully you'll get a spell of sunny weather , probably not too likely in the PNW, but it would be great to have a positive OS report and good weather! It does take a while, but the time goes by pretty quickly and before you know it, you won't even be thinking about the right. It will be all about the left. I hope the PT is helpful, and don't forget the ever wonderful results of massage therapy. does wonders for ones mind and body. not the spa massages, although a day at the spa is pretty awesome, but a really talented massage therapist that works with a chiropractor or with a PT can do wonders for pain and for helping loosen things up.

I FINALLY got my refrigerator fixed yesterday. so I'm in the process of transferring stuff back, and deleting the million little jars that are nearly empty with stuff we will never eat. the fridge is almost empty. but it is making ice, which makes me very happy.

the weather here is good, had a trace of snow this morning, but no wind. Still have some things to cut back in the garden, but the fridge thing took priority.

Have a great day
 
Thanks for checking in, @Lmflora, and your encouraging words about recovery. I am definitely pleased with how well things have gone so far, and now it's just the slow but steady rebuilding of muscles so I can regain flexibility, strength and endurance. It is a lovely, sunny day here in the PNW which is a treat as yesterday the prediction was rain all afternoon, so a very happy change in plans. The weather gods are surely aware of my awesomely good news, I'm thinking, and are treating me to sunshine. Just got back from a walk in the neighborhood with a friend, and it felt so good to walk along and chat without the pain and ache I was dealing with pre-surgery. I think they may do therapeutic massage at the PT place I go to, so I may have to check on that.

Congrats on getting that fridge fixed! I am sure it was a pain having it not working, and always nice to have the ice function working--cocktails, anyone? Hope your day is going great, too. Cheers!
 
:hi:So glad you got a good report and are feeling assured.
Onward and upward:yahoo:
 
It's early Wednesday morning and I'm up, waiting for my husband to stop snoozing so we can shower and then head up to the local Starbucks this morning. After that we're heading south to my brother-in-law's eye clinic (he's an optician) as my husband's glasses broke a while back and he's in desperate need of a new pair (he's been substituting an old pair, but the strength of the lenses is off). We'll probably have lunch out and then home--and maybe a trip to the gym! A good day here in the PNW, with sunshine predicted for this afternoon--yay! Feeling stiff, of course, this morning, but morning stiffness is something that usually dissipates quickly so not complaining. Happy Hump Day, y'all!
 
Hiya @Barbaraj, Sounds like you had a great check up and a good plan for left hip! I second your OS's comment....
He said that too much exercise isn't going to affect my new hip, my muscles will just be sore if I'm foolish--and I can live with that.

This is a good reminder....
It does take, they said, around 6 - 18 months for a full recovery, gauged somewhat by when I no longer think about or am aware of my new hip, which makes sense to me.

So glad you are enjoying sunshine! Have a great day!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom