THR Are We There Yet?

Thanks for checking in, @Lmflora. I think once I'm able to drive again, I will get out of the blue funk that overtakes me on occasion. The lack of independence is, I suspect, one of the toughest things for recovering hip patients. My husband took me out for a long walk this afternoon, rain held off and overcast and cool, but very pleasant, and such a mood booster. Hips are tired, of course, but I'm feeling mentally good which really helps me. I'm with you, I get sick of thinking/obsessing/consumed with my hips! Really and truly want some "free time" between surgeries before I have to think about this surgery again. I want to be YOU and get in a solid four years (yeah, I suspect, "dream on, girly"). Glad you opted for your own active life, and now with both done, you're good to go! Just a few more months and by next spring you'll be back on your horses and "real life" can resume. Wahoo!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj I second @SurreyGirl on being impressed with the quick on your feet (sorry, couldn't resist...what part of the brain does that come from :heehee:?) "rescue remedy" for your bundt cakes! It is so wonderful to have a normal time with friends and talk about everything OTHER than HIPS! I'm going to a girl's only surprise b'day party for a friend tomorrow night. I'm going to rest all day so I can be social and have some no hip fun!! Hubs is going to drive me and pick me up, so I might have to have a :martini:...byo gin!

I am sorry about your left hip kicking up. Maybe the elliptical will be less stress on the joint? Swimming is of course best. I am so hoping you are able to get some extra time out of leftie. Perhaps as your right hip heals, it will no longer put so much pressure on your left, and you'll get that six months or more you are hoping for. :praying: for you on that, I really am. I had my OR pre-op today, and was thinking, I can't believe I'm doing this again! Don't want you to be in the same boat. For me, @Lmflora is correct, :fasthorse: has everything to do with what is getting me through second surgery! Having one hip done will not get me back on the horse, walking the dogs, hiking and doing all the things I love! So off I trot again to the OR :flabber:
Wishing ya'll a comfortable, relaxing and entertaining weekend :flwrysmile:

P.S. The interview went great! I'm living up to my word with the old sitter as I committed to it, but that is the end of that.
 
@Alitm that is really good news about the second interview.... tempting to tell Girl no 1 that you can only pay 1/4 of the amount as a deposit and watch her flounce but I understand you have ethics!

Glad you finally have some good news....
 
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time with neighbors.
You got out, shared a meal, some wine and laughter. All good!
I loved your last minute fix to save the Lemon Bundt Cake. Quick thinking on your part.

I fully understand your anxiety about your non op hip. I will need mine replaced one day also.
You went into this surgery physically fit and I think your recovery has been a really good one.
You also realize a lot of the things you worried about (just as I did) didn't happen. I always think it has to be at least a little less intimidating going into it the second time, right? :yes:
I hope you have a great weekend!
@Barbaraj
 
@Barbaraj, I hate to be a sad sack, but I'm jealous of your exercise and all the going out and the social events you engage in. I think that's really great for four weeks.

You did 30 minutes on the elliptical ... Dang! .... I'm still hesitating going to the gym. I'm two weeks ahead of you ... so I'm six weeks and two days in ... and I'm 90 percent off the cane ... Yesterday I think was the first day that I went out shopping and after I parked, I left my cane in the car. First by instinct ... and then when I remembered I had the cane, I said, "I'll try leaving it here."

Walked slowly and mindfully around Barnes and Nobles ...

Anyway, still I get that your energy drain is wearing on you ... Although I had hoped to ditch the cane by now, I will say this ... and this speaks to the range of how our bodies react and how our surgeons do their work: my energy has been fine, strangely fine ... since almost day one ... I know that sounds strange ... And maybe I'm missing something ... But ... I was off oxy in ten days ... with five of those ten being on occasional doses ... and for whatever reason, my energy has been really good.

I had planned to have friends bring me food ... and within a few days, I realized OMG, I'm fine with cooking. I was also extremely well balanced on the cane quite quickly ....

BTW: I also had a right hip that will need attention at some point ... right now it's not acting up ... But I would guess in the next five years, it will need "attention" of a surgeon.

Anyway, hang in there ... Sounds like you're living quite a rich life, despite the energy drain. I'll be scared of you when you fully have your energy! ... if you're drained now and doing all the great stuff you report on.

I'm just looking forward to walking without the feeling of a Charlie Horse-cramp in my operated thigh.
 
I think I missed you making it to one full month post op yesterday.
So....Happy One Month Anniversary!
In reading your latest post you mentioned being in a little funk and feel once you're driving again it will most likely help. I agree! I think you should go for it. I was released to drive at my first post op, which was at three weeks. I was a little apprehensive myself and waited several more days before attempting it. Have hubs take you to an empty school / church parking lot, or any empty lot close to home and practice. It's really not scary. All you need to do is make sure you're comfortable hitting the brake, and you will be! Then go drive somewhere for a practice run without being out on the big bad busy road. You'll feel like you took another big step toward regaining your independence. Go for it.....I know you can do it!!
I hope you have a great Saturday! :driver: < hint, hint :heehee:
 
Good morning, all. A temporary but welcome reprieve from the rain continues this morning with even--dare I say it--a brief peek of sunshine! It will not start raining again, the weather forecasters note, until this evening. I hope that is the same for your neck of the woods, @Alitm, and you can get outside today for awhile. And have fun at tonight's birthday party, nothing like lots of laughter, and yes, a glass of gin, to boost that post-op mood. And you could sure use a fun, happy occasion after all the stuff you've been dealing with lately. We are heading out today shortly before noon with some friends who are picking us up, heading a bit east to a winery area for a bit of tasting and lunch out. I really don't care all that much about wine tasting, but going out to lunch and being with friends is something I'm looking forward to for a pleasant outing. Precious and very welcome distraction!

Yesterday was definitely a GOOD day for me. After our nice long afternoon walk my husband and I went out to dinner last night--just what I needed to end the day: a lovely sidecar as my pre-dinner cocktail, served in a sugar rimmed glass. Then the main event: a wedge salad with a quarter wedge of iceberg lettuce covered with creamy dressing with large chunks of blue cheese, and sprinkled liberally with bits of crisp bacon and halved cherry tomatoes. And crab cakes nestled in a pool of mango sauce. Dang, it was all delicious and a wonderful Friday date night. Hips were tired last night but I wasn't feeling as grumpy which always helps.

@Going4fun, thanks for your encouraging comments. And you should definitely think about venturing back to the gym if you used to go before surgery. You will not, anymore than I, be able to do a great workout, but it is just inspiring and helps one feel "normal" to walk into a familiar place again. My 30 minute workouts on the treadmill or elliptical are nothing to brag about--zero resistance, slow slogs. But, I am doing SOMETHING which for me is all important. Even before surgery when I was more and more limited in my ability to do physical activity, my goal was always to do what I could and do that regularly. Overall it might have looked like a pathetic effort compared to others or what I'd done before, but the key is to make doing something a habit and soldier on. So, if you're inclined, go and just do a 10 minute workout! You'll be surprised at how good it makes you feel, physically and mentally. Sounds like you are doing well--no pain meds, off the cane mostly and energy drain hasn't smacked you too hard. Progress indeed!

Once I'm able to drive myself (and, yes, @Layla, I feel ready to drive but I am being an obedient patient and waiting until 6 weeks when I was told I'd be officially released so not too long now) about, I will have so much more freedom and I intend to start going more regularly to the gym. Going with my husband has been good, but as healthy, active guy, he works out so long and I spend too much time hanging out in the lounge waiting around for him to finish his workout.

Happy Saturday, everyone!
 
Oops, I thought they released you to drive at your post op. Obviously I misunderstood.
Then, No....no driving for you :no-fin: Don't want you hurting yourself.
Hope your day is sunny and bright :SUNsmile:
@Barbaraj
 
@Layla, they actually did say I could start driving early if I wanted, but they preferred 6 weeks and that I needed to be 100% sure I could drive because if I got in an accident before 6 weeks it would be MY FAULT! Way to go to put the fear of god into me! Needless to say, I am opting for caution although I suspect perhaps I could if I really wanted to--but I am generally a good patient and rule follower, go figure!
 
Hi, @Ginny12, thanks for checking in! I will take the admiration although I'm not sure I really deserve it. I think anyone who has agreed to and gone through hip replacement surgery is a brave soul. I think everyone is doing great--perhaps slower for some and more physically active earlier for others, but it's comforting to me to think there is this huge, raggle-tag group of us, all streaming in the right direction--healing--and supporting one another! Hope you're feeling okay today, a smidgen better than yesterday and one day further along the way. Keep up that good work!
 
:wave:@Barbaraj Your day and evening yesterday sounded delightful. Today's plans sound pretty good!
We've had a lovely morning, but it has started to cloud over a bit now. Lots of raking going on today. Hubs and I have discovered new ways of using the rake that are less arduous. Amazing what creativity one discovers when you can't life or strain!! :heehee: Rain forecasted for tomorrow The b'day party is for a single gal friend, who's daughter is surprising her mum again this year. Her daughter has missed her calling, and should be a chef, in the catering business, or something culinary....the meal last year was amazing...and I'm looking forward to this year's meal...and most of all, looking forward to catching up with a small group of gal friends, who like to relax and have a fun evening. I have my small bottle of Gin and one tonic to take, plus a bottle of wine and gift! The party is just five mins around the road from me, starting early, so this lightweight can handle it!! :heehee:.
I too am waiting for my six week driving clearance on Monday....:bored: Looking forward to have some :driver: freedom before heading back to surgery! My daughter arrives on Thursday and I'm hoping we can get a bit of Christmas done while she is here, whether I am driving or not!!
Enjoy your weekend :flwrysmile:
 
My right hip was bone on bone, at the maximum "4" level, according to the X-rays, but the left which before surgery wasn't acting up at all, was at a "3" level, or "moderately severe" osteoarthritis. I've always known that sooner or later I'll probably be looking at a second hip replacement but my goal all along was to avoid that for at least awhile following the right hip replacement.

Once this right hip is sufficiently healed, I hope to definitely get back to PT and perhaps Pilates as well, to see if I can strengthen the musculature around my left hip--glutes, abs and quads--to maybe push off a second replacement for a time.

@Barbaraj , You and I are in the same situation; I guess there are many on this board in the one-down-one-to-go (at unknown date) situation. Over two years ago, Right Hip was assessed as 'severe' and Left Hip 'moderately severe'. I could have written everything you spelled out above. I too am looking at a second THR, and am hoping to postpone that for while, and am working on strengthening up old Righty.
 
Good morning, another cool and cloudy day in my neck of the woods. Feeling pretty good this morning, after a fun day yesterday of wine tasting and a nice lunch out. The weather was surprisingly pleasant yesterday morning until later in the afternoon, and the wine tasting involved just walking to a couple of tasting rooms that were all clustered together in one area. My husband, of course, bought wine over my eye rolling--he's already got a fully stocked wine fridge--but I guess you can't ever have too much if you are a real wine aficionado! I tried to plop down on stools at the various tasting rooms so I didn't get overly tired, but as always, feeling a bit tired and achy by the time we arrived home in late afternoon.

Today is a down day for me, seems to work well to balance activity days with more restful days at home. As my energy, I hope, continues to improve so less exhaustion at day's end, I am sure I'll be able to do more on a regular basis. We might go watch our son at trivia tonight and we've been invited to a spaghetti feed this evening as well so a couple of choices if we're up for it. We'll see.

I have a question about healing: how long does the area around the surgical incision (for me, this primarily means the area extending to my outer thigh) stay somewhat numb? It's not uncomfortable, just sort of "weird" and I'm not sure if this is permanent or just a temporary symptom that will dissipate with time/healing.

PS Hey, @Alitm, I hope your party went well last night--sounds like it was going to be a fun gathering of friends!
 
Last edited:
Thanks, @An54, it's nice to know others are in the same boat as me, and here's hoping we can all buy ourselves some time between surgeries. While I am somewhat envious of folks who had the courage to get both done at the same time, it admittedly seems a bit overwhelming although I am really in awe of those who took that route. In the meantime, I'm with you--hoping once #1 is healed I can work on anything that might help stave off #2 for a decent period of time. Here's hoping, for you and me and whomever else is in our situation.
 
Hi @Barbaraj
Sounds like you had a lovely day out yesterday. I like the way you're balancing activity with rest as opposed to trying to just plow through it all. The numbness around the incision area can last for several months. I noticed little areas here and there, as opposed to the entire surrounding area.

Wondering if your legs were hanging while sitting on the bar stools at the wine tasting, as opposed to resting your feet on something? I found that extremely uncomfortable early on, actually still do kind of. In addition to the general Activity of the day, if you sat that way for any length of time, it could be contributing to the achy feeling. This is just something I noticed about, myself, in my own recovery.
Hope you have a good one!
 
Good morning @Barbaraj, sounds like yesterday was a great day, how fun going to a wine tasting. Good idea alternating busy days with restful days.

I’m so happy for you, I know this has been difficult, but your recovery has been remarkable. That will make a big difference in your decision to do the left when the time comes. If this was a really horrible, painful and complicated recovery it would likely make it very difficult to resolve to do the other when the time comes. And you’ll definitely know when that is.

Have a great weekend
Cheers
 
My husband, of course, bought wine over my eye rolling--he's already got a fully stocked wine fridge--but I guess you can't ever have too much if you are a real wine aficionado!

I don’t collect wine so much as I do Whiskey, but I find that my collection either grows or shrinks but never stays the same! Like your husband, I tend to address the supply side of the equation rather than the consumption side. :heehee::martini:

how long does the area around the surgical incision (for me, this primarily means the area extending to my outer thigh) stay somewhat numb?

Yeah it doesn’t hurt but I agree it’s a mild annoyance.
 
@Barbaraj, I can't remember: did you have anterior surgery? ... I think anterior patients tend to report longer numbness around the incision. I had lateral and had zero numbness from the start.

I did want to tell you that I took up your challenge and encouragement to go to the gym. I rode the elliptical for 12 minutes today ... on level 1, the lowest level ... and pretty slow ... and really enjoyed it ... then did some back and abs weight machine exercises ... my back needs some exercise for sure ...

Anyway, hat tip to you for inspiring me through your 30 minutes in the gym on the elliptical.
 
Last edited:
Ah, it's Monday morning, and rainy and cold here, and supposed to be like this for the next few days. We've got a gardener coming today to blow out our irrigation system and do some much needed pruning, to get the yard and garden areas into shape in preparation for winter. Otherwise, just another lazy day in recovery for me. I'm sure my husband will hit the gym and I may accompany him (and good job, @Going4fun, in getting to the gym--you should feel quite proud of yourself!) although he works out for at least an hour and a half, which means after my paltry 30 minutes I would be spending a lot of time hanging out in the lounge area which is a bit boring. I've contacted a friend who just returned from vacation, and she might be willing to go after she gets off work today, which would be preferable as she doesn't work out as long as my husband does so we'd be in and out in a shorter period of time.

The numbness around my incision isn't really a problem, it's just noticeable when I slide on pants, or my hand rests on my thigh and I am aware it's numb. I did have the anterior approach, and that may be responsible for this. I know someone who had the surgery, also an anterior approach, and she's 10 months out and still has residual numbness. If that's the worst of it, I'll be fine with that.

I really feel that--be still my heart--I might have inched up a bit in terms of energy. We had an active day on Saturday but I really held up pretty well, and then on Sunday I loafed around for most of the day after doing chores in the morning, and felt good when we headed out to a spaghetti dinner at the home of some friends and then on to trivia. Feeling good this morning, and hoping maybe this is a new trend, of feeling a bit tired at day's end, which was natural sometimes even before hip replacement, but not exhausted. The next big step for me will be giving myself permission to drive. I feel pretty confident I could do that now, but am waiting the full six weeks just to be absolutely sure.

Happy Monday, and another day closer for all in terms of recovery!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom