Hip Resurfacing April 21 - finally getting a repaired hip

Hi @confused newb great to hear you can get back on the slopes . I am having first THR on 31st Jan followed all being well by other 6 weeks after. I am trying to distract myself by planning the things I can hopefully do again skiing being one big thing. I have only dabbled on the dark side (boarding) a bit but was wondering if boarding would be easier on artificial hips than skiing again like you would be having to calm down what I do and keep to more gentle slopes and no airtime. Seems that board falls are less hip involved though I may be wrong .
 
Hi @mcopt. I have read quite a few stories of people getting back to the slopes after hip replacements. so in my very limited experience I don't see why you won't be able to get back out on the hill once you give the new equipment some time to heal.
I started snowboarding about 25 years ago (with some extended breaks in between), so I'm far more comfortable on a board than I would be on skis. I'm not sure I could keep both feet going in the same direction!

As far as being more 'hip friendly' it's hard to say. I would think that a bad wipeout on the hill skis would pose an increased possibility of a dislocation, just because your legs have the potential of going any direction while on the board you're pretty stable. That being said, I was coming off the chairlift last night and a small skier cut across my board, which caused me to go over with only one foot on the board. I think either sport can cause our bodies to bend in ways that they're not supposed to if we're not careful!

I think it's important to strengthen the supporting tissues before getting back out there, that way if you do experience a fall you're not just relying on the implant to hold you together!
 
Adam, I had the same issue, just sooner. 9 months today after first THR but already had 2nd in December - saw no reason to mess around and wait!
 
@SaraK, that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I ended up getting pretty useless by the time I had my first surgery, even though I tried to push through it to keep doing things. I'll be happy if I can avoid that part of the process this time!
When you got your second one done, were you having a lot of pain pre-surgery, or were you early stages?
The way our healthcare system is up here, it will probably be at least a year before I'm able to get the surgery done since there's a huge backlog of people on waiting lists, so I'm better off starting the process now that I'm still feeling pretty good! That way, by the time my number comes up... I'll be ready for it!
 
Pain very intense after certain activities (a Norco wasn't enough to get to sleep after an evening of dancing) and pain when sleeping so I'd already moved to recliner. That led me to scheduling MRI when I was at follow up for first THR. When came back with bone spurs (including 1 very nasty looking one) labral tears and degeneration and some full loss of cartilage, I pulled the trigger. I was already using NSAIDs which didn't help much, was not going to do an injection because the one on the other hip caused havoc with my diabetes and my PT had said there wasn't anything he could do that would help. First hip went downhill fast and second was showing same signs. Given fast recovery first time, lighter and in better shape, I booked the surgery the day I got the MRI results. No regrets!
 
I am pulling trigger early on my second hip @confused newb. My doc was scheduling a few months out when I saw them in October. Having surgery February 5. Thus far hip has not totally collapsed, I want to avoid that pain. The pain is increasing and I know how quickly it can go from annoying to unbearable. See surgeon Tuesday for pre-op, hope he hasn’t changed his mind, because I haven’t!
 
It's hard to believe, but I'm about a week away from my one year anniversary of becoming bionic...

It has been, by far, the best thing that I have ever done for myself. A year ago at this time, I was unable to be active and felt my world closing around me as I moved around with a cane at the ripe old age of 41. Fast forward to now... I'm playing recreational hockey twice a week with zero pain, riding my bike, playing ball with the kids, going to the gym on a regular basis again and basically loving life. My slip on shoes have been replaced with laces again, which seems like a small thing, but as almost everyone here knows is a fairly exciting event.

Anyhow, I'm not around the site much anymore but wanted to say thanks to everyone on here who have been through the process and stick around to help others, and to wish everyone still coming through the process good luck!
 
What a wonderful update. @confused newb Thank you for sharing.
It's so great to hear how you're living and enjoying life one again without hip pain.

Hooray for lace up shoes. Only a bunch of hippie's, like us, understand the satisfaction in mastering
that little feat once again. This surgery gives us so many moments to give thanks for all the simple things we once took for granted, until we could no longer do them.

Wishing you only the best as you move forward!
 
Hi Adam,

great that you're doing so well. I had my left hip resurfaced 4/25/17 and my right hip 6/12/17. I kind of pussed out on running until January this year. I was still 'aware' of my new hips but decided it was time to go for it. Great call - since I started running again my hips are finally feeling normal. Very best wishes to you and our fellow metal plated hippies. :)
 
Thank you for your post here, it has been very informative for me to read this! I am 4 days post op and looking forward to going back to an active lifestyle. I had a Birmingham hip resurfacing and was told not to put more then 20% weight on it for 4 weeks. I am assuming that they didn't have to cut and detach the muscle on yours since you were putting weight on it within 2 weeks. Anyway glad to hear your back on the hill and doing good. I to am looking forward to some powderdays and getting back in the water as surfing is my first love! Thanks
 
Wishing you all the best in recovery !
Finally!
:egypdance:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom