Hip Resurfacing April 21 - finally getting a repaired hip

13 days post op... feeling better yet again. I'm very thankful that I'm able to work from home while I recover, just being able to be productive helps the day go by without me being too bored. I have been walking without any aids off and on today, still have a bit of a wonky gait on the operated side, but feeling stronger with every step! Staples come out tomorrow... looking forward to getting that milestone behind me!
 
I'm 18 days post op... it's actually hard to believe that it's been so long really.
Recovery is still going very well for me, I'm happy with the way things are going so far. Today is my first at home physio appointment... I'm looking forward to getting started on that and getting some tips on exercises, etc.
I've been walking without any aids for the past few days, still a bit stiff at times but the more I move the better I feel. Hoping that the physio will help me target the weak spots in my walk. I already notice that my ROM is better with the upgraded parts installed!
 
First round of physio in the books... although she told me that I really don't need any physio since I'm already walking with no limp. She did give me some exercises to strengthen a few imbalances between my right side and left side after a few years of being off balance and compensating for the bad hip. Hopefully the weather starts to warm up outside so I can get out and do some more extended walks!
 
I almost can't believe that tomorrow will mark 3 weeks since my surgery. I'm feeling great for the most part, still have a few minor pains when I get started moving, but they go away once I take a few steps. Swelling is 99% gone, and everything is feeling really good. The sun came out yesterday finally, so I went out and did a few walks up and down the road. I also sat on my exercise bike and did a 15 minute pedal (allowed as part of the hip resurfacing recovery protocol), it felt good. For the first time in years my leg actually moved in a straight line while pedaling!
 
Sounds like things are going very well. That is always good to hear!
 
Fab report, Adam! Glad for you that it has been such plain sailing so far,
Diane
 
Well done Confused.
Everything moving in the right direction.
Joe.......
 
I enjoyed reading your post op, did you have anterior? I love the positive stories, hoping I can follow suit when my time comes keep us updated and Best wishes for smooth sailing with the rest of your recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks all, I'm feeling pretty great still! Still having start up pain when I get out of my chair, but as long as I remind my body to stand up straight it resolves quickly.

@gaulsuerou, my surgery was done with a posterior approach. That's the typical method for a hip resurfacing because they need to manipulate the joint a bit more, from my understanding. Instead of cutting the femur down and inserting a long stem prosthesis, they shave the existing femoral head down and cap it. The incision is between 10 and 11 inches, but healing really well so far. Should leave a pretty good scar to show off when all is said and done.
 
3 weeks ago today I was sitting in the recovery room after my surgery. Today I'm feeling great! I actually went out and mowed the lawn... It's a beautiful day out there, and I felt like going for a good walk. Then I looked at the front lawn, and thought it looked pretty terrible. I couldn't use the riding mower, since it would break the 90 degree rule... but the push mower has a self propelling option, so I figured I'd try it... worst that could happen is that my muscles would rebel against the exercise. It actually felt really good, I'm much better when I'm moving!

Anyhow, so far I'm having one of the easiest imaginable recoveries... far better than I ever would have imagined it would be. That being said, there are a number of factors that I feel are working in my favor... the fact that I'm only 41 has got to be a pro, as well I'm in relatively good shape still and was able to keep fairly active right up until my surgery. I also was able to get the surgery before my hip became debilitating, so my gait and strength weren't overly impacted prior to the surgery.
 
Friday marked 4 weeks post op, still feeling great. There are many times that I kind of forget that I am recovering from a major surgery... I have a bit of start up pain when I get up from a chair occasionally, but within a few steps it resolves. I feel better every day still, and have started to sleep more comfortably in bed at night. I went for my first drive yesterday to do a few errands... Felt great to get out on my own for a bit!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're doing really great. It's a joy to read your reports. Keep up the great recovery!
 
I'm about just over a month post op now, and tonight I took a chance and went for a short bike ride with the family... It was the first time in about two years that I was able to bike with them and not be in pain! It felt great to be out there, and my body, so far, isn't complaining about the extra workout.
 
Thanks Joe!

Today I went in to my private physio /chiropractic clinic for the first time since my surgery. He felt it would be a great time to work on breaking up the scar tissue with acupuncture and soft tissue massage.. Ouch! But, to be fair, it does feel less tight on the scar area...

[Bonesmart.org] April 21 - finally getting a repaired hip
 
@confused newb - that 'cabin fever' clip is hysterical! I just had a right anterior THR on the 22nd so am only 3 days out and sort of enjoying the chance to be indolent. Helps enormously to have supportive family and friends along with our BoneSmart community. Humor helps everything go better, doesn't it? Guess I'll have to wait and see if I get stir crazy in a few weeks...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ScenicRte, glad you enjoyed the clip.

You are so right that the support from family and friends makes the entire process much better! For the first week or so, I spent a lot of time watching tv and reading while being doted on by family... so I can absolutely relate to taking advantage of the opportunity to be indolent. Hopefully you're feeling well enough to enjoy your time off. I was certainly feeling housebound and bored by the 4 week mark, but I have started driving again this past week so I'm feeling far less cabin fever, and even made it out to meet my wife for lunch at our favorite restaurant today. Now I'm afraid that my time off is rapidly dwindling, and I'll be back to work full time within the next few weeks!
 
Hey Adam, great news - looks like you're having a great recovery - even if it means going back to work.

Buster
 
Back
Top Bottom