Hip Resurfacing April 21 - finally getting a repaired hip

I'm into my sixth week now... looking forward to the end of restrictions at the end of the week. I feel such a need to start stretching this new hip out and working on range of motion, which is hard with 90 degree restrictions still in place. I drove more on the weekend, my son had a ball tournament two hours away so I was able to do the 'long distance' drive with no issues. The first couple of steps after I got out of the van were not pretty to watch I'm sure, but by the third step I was back to normal. Just another reminder that I'm a long way from fully healed no matter how good I feel with the day to day stuff.

I'm enjoying my time at home, although it will be nice to get back to work in about 2 weeks. I think my wife will have more issues with me going back to work than I will... since I've been home and completely independent I've been doing most of the work around the house... I have time during the day to mow the lawn, cook dinner, do groceries and laundry, etc... this morning I googled "how to fold fitted sheets" and successfully folded two sets of sheets... I need to get back to work soon!!!
 
Officially hit my 6 week mark! Very happy to have gotten through the initial 6 weeks of recovery with no issues at all. Still have some start up pain... the first few steps are painful after I get up from sitting, but that's getting better still. I've been exercising it more frequently, trying to walk lots and get on the exercise bike daily... more as a way of developing a long term habit than just hip rehab.

I go in for my first follow up appointment next Wednesday... looking forward to officially getting the restrictions lifted so I can really start the rehab portion of my recovery. Time to start improving the ROM and the strength in and around my hip!
 
Please give us an update when you can manage socks and tie your shoes.

all the best! Buster
 
Thanks @Buster.

I'm just over 7 weeks post op, and back to the office full time. Feels good to be back in a routine again, although it's so sunny and hot outside that I wouldn't mind being back in my lounger chair floating in the pool with a book right about now... ah well.

I have been riding my bike and/or exercise bike pretty religiously over the past couple of weeks. Feels amazing to be able to do that again!

The past couple of mornings, I've been able to put my socks on myself! It's not pretty, but I'm able to manage which is a win to me! Tying shoes is still out of my range of ability at this point, but give it a few weeks and I'll have that one down too!
 
Great update @confused newb ! Sounds like you are well on your way with getting back to normal. You will indeed get their with the shoes. Just takes a bit of time and gentle stretches.
 
I'm just over 10 weeks now... for the most part I'm feeling great! I still have that nagging start up pain, the first few steps are still sore, but then resolves itself as I get moving. Do others still have this sensation at 10 weeks or longer?
 
Resurfacing takes a bit longer in terms of recovery. That start up discomfort will ease with time. 10 weeks is still early days.
 
Thank you Jaycey.
It's funny, the week before my surgery I got hit in the foot with a baseball and bruised my toe. The nail is still slightly discolored from that minor event, and yet I somehow still feel that my hip should be fully recovered already... less time than it is taking for my toe to heal. :)
 
yet I somehow still feel that my hip should be fully recovered already...
Many fall into this trap. It's major surgery. Don't underestimate what your body must do to heal. Are you still icing and elevating?
 
I'm not icing and elevating on a regular basis anymore. I'll ice if I have some soreness from moving around, but to be honest that is very rare at this point. I still elevate when I relax, but that's more for comfort than actually putting any thought into my hip. Maybe I'll start putting more thought into it, and try to help my body out and let itself recover a bit more!
 
It's been just over 8 months since I had the surgery... what a difference! I can now say that the new hip feels completely natural, and I am 100% without pain. I'm amazed at how strong and stable it feels. I was outside last night playing pond hockey with the kids for the first time, and it felt perfect. Tonight I'm trying snowboarding for the first time since the surgery... I'm not planning on tearing up the trick park, but looking forward to getting a few good runs in at the local hill to see how it feels.

So far, so good... loving the new hip!
 
Good for you! @confused newb
You're a brave one....just be careful.
Wishing you a great 2018!
 
I survived my first evening of snowboarding with my new hip... all went well. I took it easy, and only spent a couple of hours out there. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it felt great. I was more stable and comfortable than I have been in years, no hip pain at all and my leg moved much more freely than I think it ever has.

So happy that I pushed to have this surgery done at my age instead of taking the 'advice' of my first surgeon and waited until I was 'old enough' to have it done!!!
 
'old enough' to have it done!!!
There is no age discrimination for hip surgery. Anyone who is dealing with hip pain should push for treatment. Waiting years in pain is no way to live. Well done - sounds like a great result!
 
Wild man!
Great to see you living life. Just don't want to see you hurt.
Please be careful in all this fun :old:
A great weekend to you!
@confused newb
 
@Layla, thank you for the well wishes and concern!
I intend to get out and enjoy myself, without pushing the limits. I have this great new hip, and I plan on making use of it... but I also don't want to do any damage to it (or any other part of me for that matter). Instead of throwing myself off of a big jump, I'll take a nice leisurely trip down the mountain with my kids... if they want to throw themselves off the big jump, I'll hold the camera! :)
 
This weekend marks 9 months since my surgery... loving the new hip. I've been able to get out and be very active over the past few weeks in particular. I've been snowboarding at least once a week, and playing hockey on the backyard pond with the kids. I'm starting to focus on losing the weight that I've gained while not being as active as normal... all in all, feeling great.

Unfortunately, all of this new activity has resulted in hip pain... in my other hip!!! :( Nothing major yet, but virtually identical to the pain that I felt in my first hip when I started this whole process! I see my surgeon in a month from now, I guess I'll see what he recommends for me. I'm only starting to feel pain, but I want to start the process... I don't want to let it get to the same point that my other one was before surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom