Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

Thank you Jamie
Good idea- I just got back from Overlake hospital where I do my daily infusion and of course I get wheeled from car to the seat where I have the infusion and it is SO NICE and stress free.
That would work for the grocery store since those battery carts are usually dead or need a good clean.
Getting used to being disabled is really an eye opener for me. I have ALWAYS been helpful but this experience will just add to my patience!
 
Getting used to being disabled is really an eye opener for me. I have ALWAYS been helpful but this experience will just add to my patience!
This is a difficult situation and I'm sorry for that, Justine. This will make your already kind and compassionate heart more tender toward others who are hurting. You'll understand their pain, fear and vulnerability through your experience and be able to offer a special kind of comfort only someone who's walked the road can give. I pray the infection clears, healing comes and the memory of this time slowly fades as your body recovers, strengthens and life returns to normal for you. :prayer:
 
That would work for the grocery store
Could you do online grocery shopping? That’s what I do and it revolutionised my recovery.
Next order coming this week. I use the fresh produce first then use frozen veg to stretch out the timescale as there’s a minimum order. They carry it right into the kitchen for me, it’s brilliant.
 
:hi: Happy Monday Justine,
It's one month to date since your procedure. Stopping by to see how recovery is going for you. I hope you're doing well and you're pleased with the progress you're making. Please let us know when you have a minute. We'd love to hear from you. Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Justine15
 
Hello!
I had a complication...about 3 weeks ago while standing with my walker at my sink, I moved backwards and crumpled down in pain. Called 911 and back to hospital and surprise to me, my femur had snapped right at the point where the hip spacer ended in my femur. They had to split my femur to get the old implant out so there was a weak spot. They had used the least amount of metal to repair the split because of the infection so...Anyways I have a big new cut down the side of my leg and a long metal bar supporting my femur. Was in the hospital for a week. NOT FUN. This has been a drawn-out process since February when i thought OH I got my hip replaced and now I am on my way to recovery! Not so. That femur break made 5 surgeries since February. And still taking at home IV antibiotics.
BUT even with all that, I am hopeful and being ever so careful. That pain from the femur break is something I never ever want to feel again. The good news is the surgeon said when he drilled the metal bar :sad: into my leg that my bone was strong and held the screws very well. So the Tymlos that I had been taking for osteoporosis did something good. Now I wait until the infection is resolved then back to the hospital to get my final hip replacement. I really, really hope this infection goes away. So far so good, I have kept my initial date on when to stop antibiotics and nothing more growing in my blood. I have a follow up with the infectious disease doc first week of September.
SO much to handle and my only child leaves to Alaska for his first year of college tonight! I was initially planning on taking him but that was cancelled with all the complications, so my sister is going with him thank goodness.
I am hanging in there but it is difficult and yes periods of feeling depressed and down. I know I have to keep going in order to get to the end where I can walk unassisted again. Tired of walkers and crutches and hospitals!

THANK YOU so much for checking in. It brought a bright spot to my day! Just been busy packing and buying college dorm accessories the past few days so just got to sign back on.
Will let you know how my leg progresses!
Justine
 
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to read of that unfortunate incident and the horrendous pain you had to endure. My heart goes out to you, Justine. We do go into joint replacement with the hope all goes well and we don't suffer any complications. I hate that you're having to go through so much. You seem to remain optimistic which is wonderful and admirable. I am sorry you're unable to take your precious son to the airport to see him off, but he knows you love him nonetheless. Be gentle with yourself and take things one day at a time. This is a long road and you don't have to be strong every day. Rest, recover and take it one day at a time, knowing we're always here for support and encouragement, so stop by anytime, even if you only need to vent. We'll be here for you, Justine. That's a promise. :console2:
@Justine15
 
My goodness @Justine15 what a shocker, and now your baby is off starting out on his independent life adventures. It’s a lot to cope with. How lovely he’s in safe hands with your sister and you may get an update or two from him when he remembers. I remember that stage well and adapting to the empty bedroom takes a while. Please remember it’s our job as Mothers to cut the apron strings so they fly, and fly well, and it’s something to be really proud of, even if at the start it’s hard to bear. They soon come back with their stories and their laundry, and sometimes their mess, which becomes another chapter in itself. You’ve got this.
I hope the pain is lessening, it sounded horrible and that every day you get stronger as the AB get the infection under control ready for this next surgery.
You really are a trooper, and that’s not something any of us choose to be and we will stay with you through all this. Big hugs from us all at BS.
 
They soon come back with their stories and their laundry, and sometimes their mess,
Thanks for the early morning chuckle, LE. :heehee:
"Sometimes" their mess?! I'd be happy with "sometimes" over ALL OF THE TIME, lol. I believe their philosophy is "a mom is gonna mom" and they fall back into their comfy old patterns knowing we'll take care of it all.
KIDS! Gotta love em! :wink: I'll bet you can relate, Justine?
 
Oh no, @Justine15, what an ordeal. I'm so sorry this happened when you've already been through so much.

Your positive attitude is really amazing -- and will help you heal. And we're here to support in any way we can. We are cheering for you and sending good thoughts your way for a smooth recovery.

Please check in again soon.
 
@Justine, I checked in on your thread to read an update and what a shock to learn all you’ve been through in these past weeks! You are amazing with your ability to handle not only the challenges with your hip but also deal with all that’s involved with your son leaving for college and his new independence. I’m in awe of your strength and ability to keep your focus on healing and positive thoughts.

You’re bound to have some ups and downs, but please know that we are here to help with the down days and celebrate even the smallest accomplishments. Don’t hesitate to post whenever you need a little boost - or if you just want to brag a bit about a good step forward.

You’re doing all the right things and I hope you see some glimmers of improvement in the coming days. It was a REALLY good sign that your surgeon reported good strength in your bones when placing the metal support screws. This is huge and bodes well for a good recovery. Stay gentle with yourself. There is no time frame here for recovery and your body will heal on its own schedule. Sending (((((HUGS))))
 
Last edited:
How are you doing, @Justine15? I hope the pain is under control and that you are managing with your son away at college.

Thinking of you. Please give us an update when you have a chance.
 
Hi Justine,
It's two months to date since your procedure. I hope your doing well. We'd love to hear from you and be able to offer support and encouragement. We do care. Hopefully you'll have time to leave an update soon.
Best wishes as you continue the journey.
@Justine15
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom