Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

Good morning Justine,
Happy to hear this is behind you and you can now begin this healing journey. You’ve been through a lot so take it easy on yourself.
 
Hi Justine,
Glad it all went well for you and you're feeling more positive after a painful, depressing time. I hope today is off to a decent enough start for you. Tomorrow you'll be back home, in your cozy happy place!

I will leave you a copy of our Recovery Guidelines, try to read through them as you're able. I found it rather difficult to concentrate early on, but give it your best shot when you have the time. You'll find some useful information in the guidelines. We'll be here for support, or to answer questions to the best of our ability when you have them. Wishing you loads of comfort!
@Justine15


As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.


HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
(Note to Basic Members: The links below are a premium service available only to Insiders Club Members. To learn about membership, click here ).

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax and let it; don't try to hurry it. Don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do, BUT
If it hurts, don't do it, and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you.
If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. Good Nutrition is essential for successful recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

5. PT or exercise can be useful, BUT take note of these
BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

6. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

7. If you want to use something to assist with incision healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

8. If you're still in need of recovery aids, check out the -> BoneSmart Recovery Shop for popular products at reasonable prices to support your healing.

Recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Most hips do not need physical therapy to recover. Our hips do a good job of healing on their own, given time. We can't rush the healing phase, and pushing a new hip too soon after surgery can cause unnecessary aches and pains.

The best exercise is walking -- and even then, not to excess. Distance should be built up slowly over time and walking aids should be used to prevent limping. Once the hip has healed, physical therapy can be helpful for regaining muscle strength and range of motion and for addressing soft tissue issues related to post-op structural change.


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Thank you Layla
The part about the "golfers reach" was brand new to me and I think will be very helpful to use during recovery. And I am going to get some of the scar spray because I will do ANYTHING to not have another infection -I know I have to already come back to Overlake in 2 months or so for this spacer to come out and yet another new hip implant placed so... that should be my last visit as far as surgeries this year. I know quite a few nurses here now and while they are very nice, I do not want to see them anymore than I have to!
I was keeping up on my PT before I came back here for the spacer and that has helped my balance and strength tremendously- will make these next months of "no weight bearing left leg" a lot safer already. I tend to do too much thinking that will make progress accelerate but I also need to listen to my body and not overdo things. I cannot wait to get back to walking at the park with my Labrador (his name is Toaster) because walking helps a lot as far as recovery.
Justine
 
but I also need to listen to my body and not overdo things.

THIS! It's so important to take things slowly. My surgeon likes to say that the most important muscle to exercise during recovery is the Patience Muscle!

We understand how hard that is, so feel free to drop in and vent your frustrations to us anytime.

:flwrysmile:
 
Visual of the golfer's reach below.
1784485216746.webp


Glad you're resigned to taking it easy and not pushing recovery, Justine. It's a blessing you kept up with PT since you're restricted to toe-touch for the next several weeks and hopefully you feel confident in your balance and strength.
Take it one day at a time...Wishing you patience and perfect healing.
@Justine15
 
Echoing what the others say, and wishing you well, it’s been horrible for you but you know what to do and clearly they’re looking after you well now. I love the pic of the golfers touch as I already use this while recovering from my knee revision. I didn’t know it had a name. :loll:
All the very best and please keep us updated.
 
Ditto the other comments. Don’t overdo it, you will only make your recovery last longer than it has to. Patience is key! An attribute I never possessed but hip replacement made me learn patience. All my best.
 
It's Monday and waiting for a PICC line to be placed. My surgeon has stopped by every day which has been reassuring (plus we talked about the World Cup and that was a fun side convo)
Next step will be to eat well and listen to
My body so that I can be strong and infection free for the new hip replacement in 8 or so weeks.
That will be my fifth surgery this year and if there is one thing I have learned it is that every surgery really takes A LOT of body resources to recover from. It is something you have to actively work at to get your system back to normal functioning or as close to it as possible.
Once I am home and resting I will read through other threads on here to get some positive energy and information on joint replacements
I never knew it was such a complicated process!

Justine
 
You’re doing really well, researching and resting and recovering.
Your team seem to be looking after you well too.
This article about the energy drain explains it so well, however I’m sure you’re incredibly well versed in this. Some times it helps to see the picture again, I know I revisit it from time to time.
Thinking of you on your healing journey,
 
Next step will be to eat well and listen to
My body so that I can be strong and infection free for the new hip replacement in 8 or so weeks.
Dietary Tips and Nutrition Basics under, Number 4, in the Recovery Guidelines will be a good start.
I hope you sleep well tonight!
 
@Justine15 Wow, Justine. You have been through a lot. I'm glad you found us for support. Support, plus a great surgical team and the attitude that you're going to give your body the best chance at healing will take you far. The 8 weeks of toe touch will be a pain-in more ways than one. Lol. I did 6 weeks with my hip abductors repair. It is so important to do exactly what they instruct you to do and not do. My PT warned me to exercise that patience muscle more than anything as he had seen the impatient ones undo all the work that was done. He was right and the patience paid off with good healing.

Hopefully, you're home or getting close. Settle in, get a routine going and most of all, treat yourself with some TLC. Let ice and elevation be your best friends for a while and don't hesitate to give in to the urge to nap. Sometimes that is the way you're going to get the rest you need for a time. Remember: it's for now, not forever. Healing blessings coming your way. Keep us in the loop.
 
Thanks @Hip4life
Just got home this afternoon after lots of hospital back and forth about where I will go. I have a walker and crutches and using walker for now but later maybe crutches for spaces that work better with smaller support tools. YES toe-touch is already maddening and tiring but I am determined to keep that as my main goal
The Golfers Reach I leaned about on here has already been put to frequent use for house stuff
My teenage son is very helpful and dogs are staying longer at sitters so I can get used to moving in the house before they come back. I have my leg up with ice on and off and taking meds as directed and eating a good bone support diet. Tomorrow I have first IV antibiotics infusion at Overlake which is 10 minutes west in Bellevue. I have a driver for all days in first 3 weeks then I should be off pain meds and it is my left leg so I will drive when I can't get a ride. Determined to get this right and yes, exercise my patience muscle which is not very strong usually it will have to be now.
Thank you for the kind words and I look forward to letting this forum know how things are going.
Thinking positive yet also pragmatic knowing things can go wrong and just handle each thing as it comes up.
IT IS NOT FOREVER!!
Justine.
 
The toe touch walking can be very annoying, I had to do it for about a month and not fun.
But it paid off in the end. And I guess that’s what matters.
You have a good attitude right now which is definitely needed for the long haul.
Like you said, it’s not forever! You will recover and be back to your former activities. Patience pills will be prescribed daily!
 
I am trying to find a way to remind myself that it is toe-touch only. I do it fine for half the steps then I put a little more pressure on it than I would want to and have to stop and rethink. Very difficult! Using both walker and crutches due to small house and giving arm muscles a break from different ones used.
Any ideas? It is so easy to just get fatigued and start cheating and I do NOT want to mess anything up
I have 8 weeks of this and right now it is seeming to be my biggest challenge. Not looking forward to the looming weeks ahead but I guess if I just think if today it will not seem as huge of a task
Just SORE this morning as I did not have a nurse to wake me up for meds in middle of the night have to wait a but for the pain to be under control once more
Sigh..... hard not to think "why MY hip gets the infection" but that is not helpful
Already ordering a basket for my walker and a cross body bag to carry things in
Long journey ahead
Justine
 
Using both walker and crutches due to small house and giving arm muscles a break frok
I found the walker much better for "remembering" to only toe touch when I was recovering from my ankle surgery. But I totally understand what you are saying. They say it takes 30 days to break a habit and we're all used to walking on two feet!

The fact that you are stopping and rethinking is a good sign. Your brain is "correcting" your body. I think you'll find it becomes a little easier with repetition.
 
The fatigue you’re experiencing is very normal. It’s your body’s signal that it needs you to rest. Be sure to respect these signals and slow down. You cannot and should not try to push recovery with “just a little more” activity when you’re tired. Sleep equals healing, so get plenty of it whenever you can. You’re doing great. Your body has been through a LOT and it needs time to rebuild.
 
Fatigue is exactly what I am feeling
Overwhelmed and sore and trying to figure out how to manage a household while using a walker - mentally and physically it is all a lot. I will make sure I remember to rest and that it's ok if I don't know how to get stuff done
Just make sure I am fed and keeping weight off my leg and keeping up with the correct medicines. I guess that's my main job at this point! Thanks for the encouragement it really does help
 
Don’t try to be normal right now. Things are not normal. You’re in recovery from major surgery. Absolutely any household task you usually manage that is not absolutely required can be left until you are farther along with your recovery. So, let those dust bunnies enjoy themselves under the couch. Just do the absolute minimum. Order food and groceries delivered. Use Amazon if needed. Hire chores that have to be done like lawn mowing (or have a friend or relative help). Your number one priority is YOU right now.

You can purchase a tray and/or hang-on basket for your walker to carry things. See if a friend will come help you with laundry. Use disposable plates, cups, and eating utensils so you’re not washing dishes. There are lots of little tricks to get through this period. If you want to, make a list here of the household tasks you’re trying to manage and we can offer more specific advice for you.

You are right on target with the idea that your main job right now is your recovery, resting, taking meds, and keeping pain at bay. Hang in there….it gets better!!
 
I am trying to find a way to remind myself that it is toe-touch only. I do it fine for half the steps then I put a little more pressure on it than I would want to and have to stop and rethink. Very difficult! Using both walker and crutches due to small house and giving arm muscles a break from different ones used.
Any ideas?
As you're trying to adapt to something new, toe-touch only, I suggest you use a single assistive device, rather than switching back and forth between the walker and crutches. The walker is probably best for these first couple of weeks, at least. You're expecting a lot of yourself adjusting to too many changes all at once.

To make the walker more comfortable to use, make sure it's the right height. When you're standing with arms relaxed at your sides, the hand grips should line up with your wrist crease allowing a comfortable bend in the elbow. See image below.

Also, if you're not already using them, tennis balls on the back legs of walker (if you're allowed, check first) help the walker glide easier. In addition, if you don't already have them, you can purchase easily through BoneSmart Recovery Shop padded hand grips to reduce pressure on your palms.

As for your home, take advantage of visiting friends when they ask if there's anything they can do. A quick pick up or straightening of the main living area, fluffing the sofa / chairs, loading or unloading dishwasher, jobs like that which are easy enough for most and will make you stress less. You will get through this, but put yourself first for the time being. Wishing you a peaceful rest of the day. :)
@Justine15


1784745151879.webp
 
All good ideas plus I need to be reminded of ALL those things
My 17 year old son helps a lot now but will be leaving for college in less than a month. I have a sister and brother and a friend from work who are all helping BUT I find it so difficult to ask and to let them Have to change my mindset from independent to needs assistance and realize it's not forever. I think this is the most difficult task for me to accept help.
PLUS I just had surgery 4 days ago so... the pain will lessen as time goes along.
Thank everyone for participating in this website - I am SO glad I found it and signed right up as it has been a lifesaver so far!
I have a lot of books to catch up on so I can look forward to reading and testing with ice packs
Oh and my first IV antibiotics injection is today so let's get this started!
Justine
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom