Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

For many of us independent souls, asking for help is the most difficult thing to do. It’s really a common problem. But, the truth is that people who care about you don’t know what to do if you don’t ask for little specific tasks that you’d like help with. They will tell you they are happy to help, but then nothing happens because they are at a loss as to what you need. I think you’ll find this much easier if you make a list of things you’d like help with and provide the list to anyone who indicates a desire to help out. Let the pick what they are comfortable doing and keep each task relatively small. Allowing help like this will make both you and your friends or loved ones happy to feel needed.
 
I am SO glad I found it and signed right up as it has been a lifesaver so far!
We're happy you found us too! Thanks for your support as an Insider, Justine!
I have a sister and brother and a friend from work who are all helping BUT I find it so difficult to ask and to let them
Let them. If they offer, assume they're sincere and want to help you. You'd do the same for them, right?
Just don't ask them to clean the toilet :heehee: and you should be good. :wink:
 
FIRST IV infusion of antibiotics (something starting with D) at Overlake and it went ok. It is so difficult to only toe touch on my left as I navigate places I always feel like oops I am doing it wrong
But I ran into the PT nurse I had while in the hospital and she said great job and that it won't always be perfect- just try my best. So that gave me some boost of confidence
The nurses are so helpful and it feels like a big mountain to climb as I have 6-8 weeks of this every day but hey I checked one day off!
I never know if I am doing it ok or too much pressure and try my best and hope that is good enough. Not loving the walker but with a bag on front and the fact that it allows me to get around is a good thing. I can do this.
Just Scarey to think that it might not go away even with all this treatment but I have hope. Thinking ahead to when I get the real hip replacement and then the goal will be to walk on it and get stronger
Right now I am just babying the left hip to let it work against the infection and do my best to get rid of it.
Of course I am exhausted and the 99 degree heat here in Seattle is not helping but I trudge on ahead
Lots of ice packs on my hip helps the pain and the heat
Thank you for listening
Justine
 
Good morning Justine,
I know as you are looking forward to more surgery and recovery it seems like forever but you will find a good balance of listening to your body and taking it easy when you can as well as doing small chores around the house. I’m a cleaning freak. And I obsess over different areas in my house. For instance my bed has to be made a certain way. And I have glass shower doors that have to shine or otherwise I get stressed out. Fortunately after my replacement I was capable of making a pot of coffee, even making a quick meal. But those shower doors weren’t going to get the type of cleaning I needed. So one day I was crying and my wonderful partner asked if I was in pain and I sobbed, “ no I can’t get to the bottom of the shower doors to clean them.” So I texted my daughter in law and asked if she could come do the doors for me. Of course she said no problem and next morning came over and cleaned entire bathroom top to bottom. I get it, it’s so difficult to ask for help. I’m fiercely independent. But I gave myself some grace during recovery and let others help.
I had to be 50% weight bearing after my 6 week check up cause a small fracture was discovered on XRAy. So either do the 50% or face more surgery. You better believe I listened cause last thing I wanted was to start over again. And the fracture healed on its own.
 
@Justine15 You’re doing great, and yes it’s hard to ask for help, especially those of us that fiercely guard our independence. However, I now happily ask away, today a friend is dropping something off for me because it’s too far to walk. Last week’s visitors carried the folded laundry upstairs. I have found it’s a bit like cleaning out drawers and cupboards and decluttering, the more you do the easier it becomes and genuinely friends and family feel much better if they can Do Something To Help :rofsign:
Keep us posted, it’s all going to be ok.
 
@myglasshalffull I too am a cleaning freak and when they told me maybe not vacuum for a while because if the PICC line in my arm I about had a nervous reaction right there! Not vacuum?? I could not imagine. But after pouting for a bit I asked my sister for help and she was happy to come over and do a few chores. My BIGGEST worry is that this infection won't go away and then what!? But it is only day 2 of my antibiotics treatment so have to choose to think positive and not worry about things that might never, probably never happen. Last night I could not sleep maybe because of the infusions or maybe because of worry or maybe because it has been so darn hot in Seattle. This is a long haul thing and i need to focus on doing the things that work towards recovery. I thought I was doing so well almost back to regular strength after the initial hip replacement and then to have this backward step really knocked me down for a bit. 4 surgeries in 4 months took a toll on my body and mind and I need some time to recover. Some days are better than others. This site has saved me from digging a hole of worry on some days! I appreciate your insight
 
My BIGGEST worry is that this infection won't go away and then what!?
This is understandable, however it’s really important to simply aim to focus on the present taking one day at a time. I’ve had 3 major ops in 11 months so I do understand this very well and the toll it takes on our bodies and minds.
What little things do you like to do? Eg colouring, reading, some form of crafting? Box sets, there’s unlimited collections of those and so many different genres to choose from, games on your phone or iPad, while making sure you’re not straining your back and neck. I’ve played a lot of Solitaire with no adverts, and word games, it’s quick, easy and distracts you from the what ifs.
Yoga Nidra on YouTube can also be incredibly beneficial to mind, body and spirit even if it’s never been your thing it’s definitely worth a try or two. It often takes a few sessions to get into it.
There’s also silly games in the games room on the forum community here to play.
How about making a playlist and listen to your favourite music on Spotify or similar, I only have the free one but played around with that yesterday. Today I planned my weeks menu from my frozen home made meals, what’s in the fridge and planned my online delivery for next week. These little tasks all take time and stop us dwelling on the unknown.
It’s also really important to not look too far ahead, allow the AB to work, while allowing your body to heal and mend. Fretting about the future can and winding ourselves up about things we cannot control interfere may with the healing processes as well as upset us.
Concentrate on the things you can do, on how they make you feel and try new things, because you might find a brand new passion. We’re all here for you.
 
Add me to the list of fanatic cleaners. We can be the Sparkle Sisters, the three of us, lol.
I'm confident we'll find other members. :wink:
I had that little breakdown post THR myself as hubby used our Kitchen center island as Command Central. There wasn't an inch that didn't have something on it that needed to be cleaned, put away, or trashed. I could see dust bunnies on the kitchen floor, dishes teetering on the edge of the sink and the laundry was piling up. Thank goodness my mom and sister came to the rescue after they sensed my frustration during a daily phone check in with me.

Regarding the infection, it is completely understandable to feel afraid and wonder. You've taken the first important step, your team has a plan and each day of healing is another step toward giving your body the best chance too overcome the infection. Try not to let the "what ifs" steal your joy. Take it one day at a time, do your best to follow the plan and take care of yourself through a healthy diet, adequate rest / sleep and have confidence that you'll get through this. We'll walk along side you rooting for you and listening when you need to vent. We'll be your loudest cheerleaders and celebrate your progress along the way. Wishing you strength, patience, healing and hope as you recover. May today be a good one!
@Justine15
 
@Justine15 Checking in as I know these first days to week or so are some of the roughest. Sleep gets disrupted, we get annoyed and grumpy because we hurt and we just aren’t our best selves. Go ahead and forgive yourself ahead of time. Keep taking those pain meds on time (I had to keep a notebook to keep track) and resting when you can. It helps when you know it will get better so hang in there.

I understand the “tight spaces” dilemma as my main floor is like that as our staircase is in the middle of the main traffic pattern. I used our family room as my recovery room and there are only tight spaces out of it and the bath is a powder room that we added a shower to. I did use the walker for the first part of my recovery and then transitioned to the crutches. I had to add the comfort grips to the walker and top and handles of the crutches. Along with a bag that attached to the crutches (which could be used cross body as well) they became tolerable to use. I also bought a discounted tray for the walker (returned but not used) which made meal/snack time easier as I got stronger at navigating and having to do more on my own when the servants, er, I mean, helpers had to get on with their lives. I hope you don’t mind a little humor. :)

I also had to smile about the stack of books (or other hobbies, entertainment) that you have for yourself. Mine were still there for the most part as I had trouble concentrating on them. The fatigue and brain fog took its toll. So, they can always be your lofty goal. I finally got to them much later on but I still got to check them off my list. Lol.

It’s hard not to worry, especially when you’ve been through so much. As the saying goes: trust the process. I would have to keep telling myself to have faith because there is so much we don’t have control over. Like others have said, do the things you do have control over: rest, nutrition, etc. Then you’ve done your part and met your care team halfway while they do their part. That’s all you can do and that’s a lot. We’re here for you. Hang in.
 
Justine,
Certainly understand your concerns about the infection and more surgery.
You have professionals handling your case so trust them and trust the process.
We are here to support you and listen so you have that covered!
 
Sounds like people have been through the exact stuff I am going through right now! 1 week past inserting the hip spacer and I am learning slowly how to cope. My house being small helps in some ways in the I have counters and surfaces to hold onto but also limits any equipment that can be used

The raised toilet with the handles has been a life saver. Have to return the bench that I was going to use in my tub/shower cause no room- I put one of my moms old walkers in there and it works as a permanent stability for me for showers. Learned in the Marine Corps to adapt and make things work!
I use the walker with a newly purchased basket when needed and when I am just moving short distances I use crutches but tiring at this point. I have been taking my pain meds on schedule and should transition from them Maybe next week.

I have to go into Overlake hospital for antibiotic infusions every day so have people drive me and it often takes up to 3 hours to complete which is a pain but I have to get rid of this infection. Getting used to being constantly in a mild state of pain and aches and feeling helpless but getting better. I move between acceptance and just being damn upset that this is my life right now but what can I do? I have to follow the professionals and know they are doing their best. Cross body bag- genius and already ordered one! That will help me hold my keys and phone and anything else needed. Thank you ice packs and leg elevation is working great - it takes time but hey what else do I have to do?

My 17 yr old son has been a huge helper on taking out garbage and moving things and going to the store for me- he had stepped up and I appreciate it and will
Miss him when he leaves for college household chores are neglected but.... what can I do it is what it is
So I am in a pretty ok place the moment but I am sure that will change back and forth many times.

This is a long long process with no guarantee at the end so very worrisome and I let myself worry for short periods but then pull out of it. I have to keep doing the process if it's going to have a chance to work.
Thank you guys for all the good ideas and support. I know someone out there understands this feeling!
Very tired and time for some pain meds so more later
 
Good Morning Justine,
I can understand how your journey may feel impossibly heavy some days. You're dealing with pain, uncertainty in regard to the infection and the waiting likely makes you feel that your life is on hold. However, you are finding the courage to keep going despite any inconvenience or fears you're facing. View this time as a chapter, not the whole story. Celebrate each milestone, no matter how small and lean on those in life that care about you and that includes US! Hold onto hope that better days are still ahead. Stress and worry can drain our energy, while hope gives you something to hold onto. Believe in your body's ability to heal, trust the process and give yourself some grace. We are here for you always.

Wishing you peace of mind and a pleasant weekend!
@Justine15
 
I go from accepting it to being ticked off that I cannot move around and back. But every time I use that "golfers reach" I think why didn't the hospital show me this? Life saver! So simple but I never would have thought of it.
So I take my little victories as they come. The amount of time I spend sitting with ice packs and my leg elevated is crazy to me but my body is telling me I need to rest. I was so used to doing it all myself that I think this whole process will reset how I think about my days.
And everything takes SO LONG to accomplish but I do it!
I also have more empathy for people with walkers or canes or injuries now.
And VERY thankful that I have decent insurance to cover this as I notice how much each step in the procedure costs. No wonder people go bankrupt.
One week down and feeling hopeful!
 
The amount of time I spend sitting with ice packs and my leg elevated is crazy to me but my body is telling me I need to rest.
Really glad you are listening to what your body is telling you. You are early, early days and rest is critical to healing and recovery. You've got this.
 
I also have more empathy for people with walkers or canes or injuries now.
Same! And also empathy for people who are limping. I now realize that they're likely struggling with daily pain. The younger me didn't give it a lot of thought. You gain a whole new perspective once you're in that position yourself.

Congrats on one week down, Justine! Happy to read you are feeling hopeful.
 
What did you use so your hands and arms did not get so sore? I have a trip to hospital every day and whether I use crutches or walker, I am still so sore!!
And swollen until I get home and put my leg up
 
Personally, I couldn't use crutches because they felt super awkward and uncomfortable to me so I used a walker, then transitioned to a cane. Make sure both your crutches and walker aren't too high, or low, because that will put extra stress on your hands and arms. Your elbows need a slight bend when you're holding onto both assistive devices. It's natural to squeeze handles tightly, try to be conscious of that, relaxing your grip if you notice you're doing that. You can purchase padded grips. They come in foam, and gel. Icing may help any sore areas (hands and arms) after you are home and able to sit and rest. Also try some gentle stretches of your fingers, wrists and forearms to see if that brings any relief. Best Wishes!
@Justine15
 
I get it @Justine15, it feels like my whole life has been reset in the last 18 m, and you’ve had it a lot worse than me. It has made me consider the longer term future in a different way too, although I’m going to be fine after this recovery. I’m just ever practical.
Learning to listen to your body is crucial as not only is it healing its fighting the infection, and the AB will impact your whole system for a while, so well done on this.
So I’m much happier on crutches, I can’t do sticks/canes at all, I wobble all over the place, but I’m a whizz on crutches, elbow ones. They do however vary and some have much more comfortable hand grips and this can make all the difference. The padded grips and more which @Layla suggests are a good idea, though personally I haven’t needed them.
You’re putting much more weight through your arms too because of the limited toe-touching, and this in itself is very tiring, and it becomes a feat of upper body strength too.
When you get to the hospital could someone push you in a wheelchair to give you a break as it’s daily, maybe this could help.
 
You might consider renting a transport wheelchair for those daily trips. I’m assuming the person who takes you could also get you to the place where the procedure is done. This would save you from having to walk distances.

Transport wheelchairs are much lighter than regular wheelchairs. They fold up and are fairly easy to put into the back of an SUV, car trunk, or the back seat. The only problem with them is that they are not made for the sitting person to move the wheels and you need a “pusher.”
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom