Guest viewing is limited

Anterior Left hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be over and done before you know it, ukis!
 
broken link removed: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/26/pending-suit-says-doctor-removed-wrong-testicle-from-man/?test=latestnews

I'm putting a "do not touch" sign on my good leg...lol
 
LOL, I wanted to do the same thing. I think there are a lot of protections in place. On the morning of my surgery, at least 5 people asked me what I was having done and which hip, and when I met with the surgeon, he wrote his initials on my right (operated) leg. You'll be awake up till the last moment so you can confirm that they're doing it right.
 
Ukis,

My hospital also asked a million times which hip, etc. and my doctor signed my hip. I included a link to my OS who ironically was on The Doctors. This short video highlights a patient having the anterior approach and shows the anterior surgery (an abbreviated version). I found this after I had scheduled my surgery. It's pretty "neat" to to watch. Happy Viewing...https://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/6143
 
Drbabs,

Thanks. I was happy to have it to show my family and all. When did your friend have his/her surgery? Did he/she also have the anterior approach and if yes, how are they doing?

MJ
 
ukisgr8, Hİ
İ assume this is your first hip operation on your hip, no?
Looking at your photo, you seem to have a very sportive posture and i bet your recovery will be very smooth and speedy. Do not worry too much though it is so normal to be nervous before the operation.
İ just want to mention also, in terms of managing your expectations, no matter which approach -anterior, lateral, posterolateral etc, it is still a major surgery and better be precatious (the 90 degree rule and not crossing the legs) post-op for at least for 4-6 weeks to prevent dislocation.
İ know people who were doing snowboarding, or water skiing after THR but of course not 3 weeks post op.
İt will soon be over and you will be surprised with the positive change in your life.
 
mjmrphy55, yes, she had the anterior approach last fall and is doing really well. Her surgery was one week before Hurricane Sandy and she lost power. She was able to walk down to her neighborhood coffee shop every day to read the paper. She works in the city so she took 6 weeks off from work.
 
sansabosa, yes, it is actually my first surgery ever so everything is new to me.
 
ukisgr8,

This was my first surgery ever and the reason I waited so many years to have it. I was a big chicken and was afraid to be "put out." The hours leading up to my surgery went quickly and were filled with paperwork, meeting with the OS, assistants and anethesiologists. This was a great diversion for someone like me. My family commented that they expected to see me running down the hall with my butt hanging out to get away. But I was "asleep" quickly and in a blink was looking at my husband and was done!!! I was so relieved.

Are you having general anesthesia or and epidural?

Hang in there ...it goes so quickly.
 
mj, I'm having general. Not sure which is different or if one is better than the other. Do you or anyone else have an opinion on that?
 
ukisgr8

Hi again.
The reason why i asked whether its your first surgery or not, because your hip muscles were not exposed to surgery before, your recovery will be like Speedy GOnzalez!
İ understand your anxiety because its your first time, really rest assured it will be so smooth with todays technology!
İ had 3 hip surgeries on my left hip, the last one being hip replacement 15 years ago in HOuston and 4 surgeries on my right hip, and it has been the first replacement for my right hip a week ago. M anxiety was because i knew about the details and it was a complicated case. Before this last surgery a week ago, the previous surgery was 15 years ago. Words are not enough to tell how much things have changed, İn a positive way. Hip replacement for an uncomplicated hip is like changing a car tire nowadays!
By the way, all my surgeries -except the last one -had been with general anesthesia and i suffered a lot with neausea and vomiting each time, as a kid, as a young woman. But i am by nature a person who feels neausea with a bad taxi driver as well!
During my preop appointmnet, the anesthesiologist mentioned that the OS prefers epidural and she did not leave me any choice even. İ just asked her that i do not want to hear anything, not to be awake and so that they give me the medication accordingly. İ can not tell you how much i was satisfied with epidural (i was freaking about it) and how smooth it was after the operation. Actually i dont even remember that they made the epidural due to the medication they gave just before. İt was so easy aftr the operation, no neausea, no vomiting, easy to get up and adapt back to life. Thus, that my experience with epidural was very positive.
 
Ukis,
Like Selin I really did not have a choice for my anesthesia. His method was an epidural with Tropedal (spelling?) to pur me asleep. Since I have never had a general I can not give you a comparison.

MJ
 
Shew, one of my nervous things are gone. My insurance is pretty good but they sometimes like to play doctor, like a HMO, and cancel surgeries so they can review the case for 6 months. I just got a call saying all is clear on that front. So now it's pre admit on tuesday and surgery wednesday.
 
It seems general anesthesia is the worse option if I'm reading correctly from other posts. Josephine likes the part anesthesia, part epidural from what I read, or atleast one of the doctors should worked with used that. Oh well, it may put me behind a day and a little more pain to start with but the eye on the prize is what I'm after.
 
No, general anesthesia is not a bad option and it won't necessarily put you a day behind or with more pain. I asked my anesthesiologist about the epidural option, and he looked at my back (severe scoliosis and herniated and bulging disks) and said it would be "a challenge," so we opted for general. I never had any nausea from it, and I was awake enough to eat lunch and read my book in recovery after 0730 surgery. I had to stay in recovery an unusually long time due to my room not being ready.

But can't you have an epidural if you want it?
 
What is it that makes people so sick and have more pain than other options? Sorry, I'm all confused. My reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. lol :wink:
 
I ask and they said they always use general but I have my pre admit tuesday and I think I meet the Anesthesia guy then. I'll ask if I have an option.
 
It is an individual thing. I had never had surgery and wanted an epidural for the same reason, was afraid I would be groggy and nauseated if I had general. My anesthesiologist told me I wouldn't be, and I wasn't. Power of suggestion, or body chemistry that agreed with the drugs I got? I don't know.

Best thing is to discuss it with your Anesthesia guy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom