Guest viewing is limited

Anterior Left hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surgery is 2 weeks away so I am surprised a new pain would come all of a sudden. I can't move my legs outside or inside because the two cams just won't move between my femor head and acetebulum anymore. That's good because it was excruciating when it did that. I was able to lift my leg forward and 45 degrees with little problem or pain. However, now, it's down to 30 degrees and even then, it feels like a knife inside is cutting me. So glad this will soon be over.
 
Does this site have a smart phone app or considering getting one? thanks
 
ukisgr8, it is not necessary to start a new thread each time you wish to post. It's a lot better if you keep everything in a single thread. Easier to find you and respond to you and for you to know where to go to see responses from other members.

You currently have 6 threads open. I am going to merge them all together into one thread under the title Anterior left hip replacement. You are free to bring up anything in this thread, ask any questions, vent, whatever. The most current posting to the thread will always be the one showing in the listing. But members will always go back and catch up on any posts they've missed in your thread.
 
You kiss great?? I just sounded out your user name---too funny. Or is that UK is great? Inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes:

I started using a stationary bike (very gently) at about 3 weeks, was cleared to ride my real bike at 4 weeks. I also had anterior approach. Your mileage may vary. My situation was simple osteoarthritis, finally bone on bone. This had come on rather suddenly, so I was still in pretty good shape before surgery, had continued kayaking and even rode my bike, albeit painfully, two days before surgery.

When you are discharged from the hospital, your surgeon should give you detailed guidelines regarding what you can and can't do. I had no restrictions at all concerning crossing legs, etc. I could stoop down to get things off the floor, put on socks and shoes without aids, didn't need hi-rise toilet or any of that stuff. The only thing he stressed was "no high impact."
 
lol, uk is great. University of Kentucky or the United Kingdom, take your pick.
 
A good read, but may raise expectations a bit high. He does not address the fatigue issue, which everyone seems to experience to some degree. I was in good shape and everything went well, but the first few weeks I did tire easily and enjoyed napping as needed, which would not have been compatible with returning to work as soon as he indicated.

I wonder why he uses sutures or staples for skin closure? I got glued, and it was wonderful. No problems with 4 inch incision and very little scarring.
 
BTW, You Kiss, you should read MaxBuck thread. He had anterior and was totally happy with his results.
 
Just got a phone call from my surgeon to remind me of my pre op next tuesday and told me what all it consists of and what to be prepared for. Said he sent for records from family Doc and he just went ahead and cleared me so just need to visit him and get some blood work and xrays and I'm set. He's a friend of mine so I ask him about the possibility of being cancelled and he said he would work overtime to make sure mine gets done because we have a golf outing later in the year and he didn't want to hear any excuses...lol

So feeling better. Only roadblock possibly is insurance, because they can be donkey's rears sometimes. Shouldn't be an issue and don't think it will but it's the only possible thing in my way.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Anterior Left hip replacement My bad ----but still having a super recovery!
 
Nurses!!! lol My wife is a nurse and works in a rehab place that takes care of people after hip and knee replacement, cardio issues, pretty much anything rehab. Maybe I've been over doing it in "nesting", meaning preparing everything for post surgery, making sure everything is spotless clean, making sure I have all the tools, etc...

Anyway, I guess it was driving my wife nuts so she says to me "I took care of a 80 year old lady who had both hips replaced and had no issues at all."

So is it nurses altogether or was I driving my wife nuts?
 
I think when we are facing surgery we do tend to go overboard in our
preop prep. I did a lot of mechanical stuff, mostly stuff that had to be done
anyhow before winter, and i drove my g/f crazy. She just didn't understand
why i need to get all this stuff done. For me, I had to, not knowing when i'd
be up and around afterwards. I have many things that need to be winterized,
and put away for winter, not to mention getting other machines ready
for winter snow removal/play (tractor/snowblowers/snowmobiles)

As i look back, yes, i rushed some things, but that's better than not getting them
done before winter hit.

I remember putting up christmas lights on the front of the house at probably 4 weeks,
which meant using a ladder. After that, it was onto a closet system install, and a few
other odd jobs around the house in between PT and rest.
 
Here in VA hospital gave me walker, raised toilet seat and what they called a hip kit. It had a reacher/grabber and some dressing tools like a sock helper long handled shoehorn, dressing stick and a shower sponge to reach lower legs in the shower. When you go for pre op they may have you attend a joint replacement class (if not inquire with your dr now if they offer one). They shared a lot of helpful information and what to buy or not buy because you get it through your insurance from the hospital. The one thing i recommend is some type of reusable ice packs. I found some at CVS called ice peas that work great. Easy to mold around the hip plus they don't drip like plain old ice. Good luck with your surgery and hope you can return to Golf soon!
 
Hi, I also had the anterior approach on February 4th and I am doing great. I was so glad not to have many restrctions. Good luck on your surgery!!
 
ukisgr8, I just read the link you posted from your surgeon. I had exactly the same procedure with the Hana table by a surgeon who was also trained by Dr. Matta. Im very grateful to have not had a lot of restrictions, and Ive been able to walk without a cane since my third day home. And I agree with @sissy46-- the aftermath is overly minimized. I'm 11 days postop. I went out for a few hours yesterday and I am exhausted today. I also still need pain meds which are wreaking havoc on my stomach. I am down to tramodol and Tylenol q4h and Celebrex bid, and taking probiotics is helping me a lot. But play golf this week? I can't imagine. My surgeon told me to plan for a month off work. I think by the third week I may go in for a few hours a couple of days if I feel up to it, but don't be surprised if the tiredness hits you. You do lose quite a bit of blood, and there is trauma to your system. Again, good luck!
 
Drbabs Are you taking your pain meds with Haagen-Dasz (or your favorite ice cream?)
 
6 more days of work, counting today. I'm taking off one day for prepping, haircut, cleaning, etc.... Pre-op tomorrow. I'm more nervous than a dog at a flea market. But I can't wait to get this over and get on the other side towards recovery
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom