THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

Hello and a Happy Sunday to you. :wave: I hope you're enjoying the weekend. Wise move to allow yourself that extra time away from work. Please let us know how it goes for you upon your return.
A great week to you as you continue healing. :)
@djacksonsf

Thank you Layla,

I still need to get the doctor's approval for the additional time, a step that surprised me a bit. When I spoke to the PAs about this prior to my surgery and at my first check up in early January, the message I got was "we'll put whatever return date you need on the paperwork." That's now turned into "the doctor needs to approve it," and the doctor has not seen me since the surgery.

Hopefully, he does approve it. I've been sleeping a lot, and that rest has really helped me. To me, that means my body needs time to recover. I'll let you know how it goes this week.

Regards,

-Doug

One more movement question. I know from earlier replies and the PA that walking too much will only slow the soft tissue healing process at this point. What about putting all my weight on the operative leg?

I was reaching for something and happened to be doing it on the operative leg and had a momentary bit of pain. I stepped back onto two feet and it went away. I know I can expect aches and pains but I don't think much of them unless I’m doing something unusual.

Just wondering if someone has a perspective. Thanks in advance!

-Doug

If the pain didn't last long and went away when you put your weight on both legs I'm guessing it's just your body saying, not yet! You may have just stretched a little more than your soft tissues were ready for.

Not sure if your surgeon imposed any restrictions. I didn't have any but was cautioned to listen to my body, be thoughtful in my movements and if any particular movement hurt....stop. And that's what you did. With no residual pain, I certainly wouldn't worry.

I've been sleeping a lot, and that rest has really helped me. To me, that means my body needs time to recover

Awesome! Our body does it's best healing while we're asleep.
So snooze away :yawn: :sleep:
Sweet dreams tonight!

Thanks Elf and Layla. I did stop right away and there’s no residual pain at all.

I’m sure you know how it is at first with the first hip replacement: every experience is a new one. Some you don’t notice; others leave an impression; a very few - if you are lucky - cause you to worry.

This is why I’m thankful for this forum. Everyone’s experience helps put things into perspective.

All the best to you!

-Doug

At one month your leg is talking to you ... in theory, the bone is knitting to the rough coating on the device hammered(?) into your femur. This is important to consider.

Normal walking, which entails rolling full weight on and off onto the new joint, is probably about the perfect way to ensure bone growth and strengthening without overdoing It.

Thanks Forum. I only kept the weight on my operative leg for a second or two longer than I would when walking. I think that’s ok, but are you thinking otherwise?

Nope - you’re doing fine at a month.

Heres my story - everyone is different.

Last edited:
Thanks Forum! I read up through my upcoming milestone - 5 weeks - and you reminded me I was going to ask about how to address incision scar tissue.

The scar is an angry, rubbery thing and I’ve been avoiding massaging it. I’ll get some oils and Palmers and get to work. I don’t care much how it looks but it sure feels odd.

Thanks for sharing your story and prompting me to recall how beautiful Colorado is.

Regards,

-Doug

Hello Doug! You are doing well,, glad you've decided to take those extra days and rest while you can. You mentioned massaging your scar.. if your incision is completely healed and your OS team recommends self massage, then I would recommend a gentle touch. It's pretty amazing how doing a gentle, circular pattern can be so beneficial.
I did clockwise up and down the incision and then reversed to counter clockwise.
Deeper pressure at this point will annoy the already irritated soft tissue.

You probably already know all of this but figured a reminder may help.

Apologies for the typo Cricket.

Not a problem! I knew what you meant. :)

Oh! I had issues with some pain when stepping on the new hip/leg, too. It was more like when I stepped on that leg and then when I picked it back up and removed the pressure.. I think that pain went away around 8 weeks. The important part is that it does go away. I hope your's diminishes soon, too.
You are 1 month out, plus a couple days. Off to a great start!

Thanks Cricket! I looked at the scar and I think it’s too early to massage it - there’s still a small scab in the middle. I’ll wait a bit and check with the surgeon at the end of the month.

The only joint pain or tenderness I experience is when I’m in a certain position - as I was today - and it’s only happened four times so far. At my 2+ week follow up, the doctor’s team said it was due to realigning the joint, and that the implant was stable in the X-ray.

Like you, they said it should go away in 2 months or so. I’ll keep track of it and mention it to the surgeon on the 31st.

Thanks for your feedback!

-D

Hello and Happy Monday @djacksonsf
Sometimes the skin becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is dry and uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

You're doing well, relax and enjoy! It will keep getting better and better :happydance:

@Layla when I had my knee done last January Active Scar Shield was not exactly promoted by Bone Smart but it was brought up often and is useful before the scar completely closes to help reduce the final scar appearance.

My OS said no lotions/creams till there was no scabbing and the incision looked completely closed and healed. This was to reduce any chance of infection.

Yes, of course, great point @FCBayern Thank you for mentioning Scar Shield.
I was only responding to you mentioning your plan to massage oil or Palmer's into your incision...
Have a great week!

My OS said no lotions/creams till there was no scabbing and the incision looked completely closed and healed. This was to reduce any chance of infection.

Scar Shield actually contains the same compound your body uses to prevent infection so is considered safe to put on open wounds, that's actually how it's designed to work. I have used it on both scars as well as minor scrapes etc. that I get all to often anymore with the least contact with skin apparently getting old. :sorry: I used bio oil after there was no longer any scabbing and a year later my knee scar has faded pretty well.

Glad you are cautious and know to check with your OS office first, before slathering anything on that incision.
You have a nice approach to your recovery. Keep on doing as you are, I guess practice makes perfect. :heehee:

Good news - the additional two weeks were approved! This will help me rest more before returning to a busy job.

Lesson learned: ask for more time at the outset because asking for more time after starting disability appears to be something that everyone involved in approving the additional time seems bothered by. Reading between the lines, it sounds as though it's more paperwork, etc.

My operative hip is still a little tight after the reach that I mentioned a few days ago. No pain per se, but just the feeling of tightness. I know the glutes on the operative side were upset by it, probably because they are weaker than the nonoperative side due to atrophy leading up the surgery - but the tightness feels like it's closer to the prosthesis.

I know that even with an anterior THR all the muscles, tendons and ligaments around the head of the femur are moved. I was also told that it would take a fall to cause the prosthesis to move, and that putting all my weight on it as long as I'm not externally rotating the leg is ok...

I plan to mention it to the surgeon on the 31st, but does this sound like it's just a soft tissue irritation?

Thanks,

-Doug

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom