THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

Happy New Year!!!
Thanks for the update, wonderful to hear how well you are doing.
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Wonderful to hear @djacksonsf! This really is a 12-18 month recovery but it's pretty amazing how good 12 months can feel!
 
Great update, so happy to hear things have leveled out @djacksonsf ! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thanks all,

The 14-month check up went well. My surgeon said I am cleared to go back to my normal routine without restrictions. That means I can gradually increase hill climbing on my bike (including standing on the pedals if need be), which I'm looking forward to. I am also allowed to go back to yoga, which will be great. I plan to take it slowly and assess as I go.

I did have one question for the group. Sometimes my hip replacement feels odd when I get out of bed in the night or first thing in the morning. Not pain - more like discomfort and the sense that it's not entirely "anchored." By the time I get to the bathroom 20 or so feet away, I'm walking normally and everything feels fine. I go about my day feeling great, and rarely notice anything different from the nonoperative hip.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Doug
 
Hello Doug :wave:
Good news on your 14 month appt with the surgeon!

I’m wondering if you discussed the odd sensation you mentioned above at your appointment last month and if so, what your surgeon thought? The only reassurance I can offer is that if it only happens upon rising, but eases by the time you walk 20 ft, I don’t think that I’d be be concerned.

My surgeons PA reminded me at one of my post op appointments that our prosthetic hip will never match our natural hip, but it will get pretty close. I remain mindful of that and unless there is a new pain that is escalating in intensity, or frequency you may just consider giving it more time. Recovery can take a full year, even longer for some. I’ve read of many here noticing progress up to two, even two and a half years.

There is also the option of calling your surgeons office and discussing your concern with a member of his care team. I’m sure they could put your mind at ease.

A great rest of the week to you! :)
@djacksonsf
 
Thank you Layla!

I didn't mention it to the surgeon because it wasn't really a factor then. I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had a similar experience before going back to him. I've had no falls or upsets since the appointment, but have been doing some work in the yard; nothing out of the ordinary based on my usual routine.

The feeling only lasts for a short time. I sense it when I roll over in bed, then feel it for a few feet as I start walking. By the time I've reached the hallway, it's gone. I'll try taking it a bit easier in the next month and see if that helps. If not, I'll then ask the surgeon.

You make a good point about these artificial hips - they aren't the same as the joints they replace. It can just be challenging as you are recovering to figure out what's normal and what's not.

I'm so thankful for this forum to ask questions and read others' experiences. Great to see that others are doing well also!

-Doug
 
It can just be challenging as you are recovering to figure out what's normal and what's not.
I’m sure we all can relate to this. I know I can.
I'm so thankful for this forum to ask questions and read others experiences. Great to see that others are doing well also!
Thanks for joining us here!
 
have been doing some work in the yard
Tasks that I don't do daily such as gardening or heavy cleaning always bring on stiffness later in the day or the next day. But if this eases when you walk just a short distance I wouldn't worry about it. "Just keep moving" was the advice my spinal surgeon gave me post op.
 
Hi there,

Posting this in case it's of help to others who may be experiencing similar issues. The issue I mentioned in March got progressively worse, making it really hard to turn over in bed, get out of bed, cough or raise my leg without some kind of pain. It did resolve a bit with walking, but then came back again in certain positions, and there was a definite snap in my groin. It got to the point in the morning that I had to be really careful moving for fear the leg would give out.

I saw my doctor last week, and we determined that the psoas muscle was irritated, which is something that I had suspected. To my profound relief, the hip xray was perfect - no sign of anything that could be causing these symptoms. The leg asleep/pins and needles down the leg/strange muscular contractions up and down the leg symptoms were attributed to L5-S1 nerve compression.

He noted in an earlier xray that those discs in my lower back and sacrum are compressed, and that there's evidence of arthritis in some of them. Comparing one leg to the other, the sensation when being touched was reduced in the operative leg.

So, I am taking it a bit easier and using ibuprofen to lower inflammation. The snapping sensation has already stopped. He also recommended strengthening because I've been sitting so much (and sitting with bad posture). My belief is that a weak core and glutes in combination with bouts of more strenuous gardening activities are what caused this.

So...when you think it's a hip issue, it may in fact not be. What makes it hard until you have diagnostic imaging is that many symptoms of hip issues are also symptoms of spine issues.

Hope this is informative,

-Doug
 
Thanks for sharing, Doug. I’m happy to hear you found the cause of your symptoms and hope the measures you’re taking bring you speedy relief. I hope your Spring / Summer 2021 is a good one! :SUNsmile:
@djacksonsf
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom