TKR Answer to question in tight band round knee

They also have the non-motorized pedalers that are super reasonable ($30 USD).

Stu, I don’t have one of those but I use a recumbent bike. I rode an Air-dyne at PT the last few weeks of my therapy and then started on my recumbent after I was discharged from PT.
I’ve also heard that marching in place can help with flexion. I really haven’t done much of that!

Just getting to grips with my knee and the had to a have a bladder investigation ureather had to be widened and a stone removed so with new bruising and some bleeding can't get on with my leg exercises hope it doesn't go backwards and decrease my rom

I’m sorry you’ve had some additional issues. Don’t worry about your ROM, it is not dependent on the exercises.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Follow up from my last post in November I had just had a bladder operation which is still giving me some problems ,but it is my knee a I want to chat about due to the bladder problem I have been told not to take antiinflammatorys like ibuprofen and I am still getting swelling of my knee . physiotherapist still says do the exercises in fact increase them but this only makes the swelling worse any tips would be good it's coming up to 6 months since tkr and am walking pretty good and can go couple of miles ok just the swelling

@Stu Hello, I would certainly agree with WFD, icing and elevating your knee will assist with reducing swelling- if you find you are swelling after certain exercises or at a certain level of repetitions then I would suggest reducing the reps or even to take a break from the exercises, see if that makes a difference to the level of swelling. You can ice for around 45 minutes, keep fabric like a tea towel between your knee and the ice, you can do this as often as needed.

I would also suggest discussing your swelling issue with your GP and see if they can come up with an alternative solution to anti inflammatory medications for you.
Hope these suggestions help!

Last edited by a moderator:
The length of time you can schedule PT appointments can also vary with your insurance. Mine allowed appointments for up to 3 months post-op. Any more and I would need to be re-evaluated to get approval for more.

I agree on the exercises and frequency. With my first TKR I did them twice a day religiously and with this second TKR, sporadically and no more than once a day. Both recoveries have been very similar. My ROM coming back has been slower with this second knee but I think that's due to ROM problems I had for two months prior to surgery.

Nobody has mentioned compression stockings I do have some so will give them a try and see how that works
Would like to add I am in UK so insurance for physiotherapist is not needed all comes with our NHS
I was doing exercises very religiously until I had bladder op then exercise was causing some bleeding so had to stop ROM improved but swelling of knee haven't so will try all suggestions (I am elevating as I write ) and report back

Compression stockings will help with the swelling, just make sure you are wearing the correct size, officially you should be measured for them, as if they are too tight then its counterproductive..
I was instructed to wear them for 30 days post surgery, however after the 2nd week I only wore them daytime, as they were too uncomfortable at night, mine were measured correctly from the hospital.
Plenty of Ice :ice: at frequent intervals during the day will also help reduce the swelling xx

Just coming up to three months post op and like others here my knee feels like it has a tight band around it I have a bend of 85 degrees , I have been told by my physiotherapist it will go in time ,at times my shin aches but I think it probably due to me overdoing things
@Stu Boy I feel your pain! I am 4 weeks post op today and I feel such a tight band around my knee! Its hampering me from doing my exercises. When I do start doing them then afterwards it feels even tighter. Its so frustrating. I guess the key is just slow down and let the healing take place. I just worry that I won't t get full ROM if I do t push some.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads