TKR Annie's new knee recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my comment:
My OS used DISSOLVABLE stitches. I am allergic to the nickel in the staples. DISSOLVABLE stitches. Nothing needed to be removed later - they ... just ... disappeared. I could shower with no problem. From my previous experiences with surgeries, glue doesnt work for me - the wound just reopens. DISSOLVABLE stitches - that's what I specifically request for surgeries. After I explain my allergies/experiences, I have never had a surgeon refuse me.

But...as Jeano says... "There are many roads to Rome."

So, whatever works for you. I just thought I would mention this option.

Trying to stay warm in Ohio,
 
Good to hear the clunking feeling is going away. Down stairs is harder than up and takes people longer to master. I was fretting as it seemed to take me forever. But I just practiced a little bit every day and I got there. I started by going down the "right" way for just a few steps in a flight, then every other step and eventually I was going down "normal"! You will get there.
 
I have only ONE regret: that I didn't find the BoneSmarties until after my surgery. The BoneSmarties have helped me SO much after the surgery. Read, and reread every word they have sent you. Then you have to just have faith.
Very much the same for me---I did not find the forum until well into a month of recovery---the folks here helped answer many of my questions and move me in the right diretion for recovery---so that I could understand why it was taking so long.
 
Hi @NuNe4Me,Welcome to Bonesmart. Sorry you had a rough start and all PT's are not like the ones you encountered. I guess they don't really like their job. I understand some PT folks can be very pushy but if it hurts that is a no no. I went back to work at the beginning of the 12th week. If I did not my and my son's benefits would have been stopped and would have to Cobra pay $1500.00 a month to continue the benefits. So back i went. I was okay. i am a nurse in a busy clinic, but fortunately I can ice while I am typing my notes. I do have to get up and down but that's okay as I need to move around to keep from becoming stiff. The job you have as a cook may be a bit tough being on your feet for a lengthy period of time. You may have to try to work that one out with starting with less hours if you can. Wishing you good luck and good and healthy healing :egypdance:.
 
The PT's at my out-patient clinic were divided into two groups---one group of PT's worked with athletes and athletic-type injuries and rehab. The other group worked with joint-replacement patients, and the two never crossed patients.

Having done athletic PT, I understand how one gets pushed and also pushes oneself. That being said, though, it is important for the PT's working with the TKR patients, as well as the TKR patients themselves, to realize that pushing a patient or pushing oneself is counterproductive.

If a PT pushes you, do not push through the exercises---push back and the PT and take a stand. Set limits and boundaries as to what you will do---and never try to outwork the knee.

Remember---and if necessary, tell the PT this---"It is not how hard you work---it is about how smart you work. It is not no pain, no gain, but, rather, no pain, more gain."
 
Doing my exercises...ESPECIALLY the BoneSmarties' IT Band Exercises.... I am doing much better going down the stairs (repeating: Good goes to heaven; Bad goes to h*ll...) As long as I am not holding anything in my hands, hold on tight to the rails, I do good going down the stairs. I can take them one foot per step; it has been YEARS since I have been able to do that! Making progress!! =)

I printed the Bonesmarties' beginning set of mantra pages off for my Aunt (who is having problems with HER knee replacement - she doesnt do computers). Instead of thanking me for the information, she asked me WHY I hadnt found the BoneSmarties sooner. As I mentioned previously, I wish I would have.
 
Oh my. Well say hi to your aunt from us. :)
 
Question to BoneSmarties (this is really from my 80 yr old Aunt, who doesnt DO computers):
Have you ever heard of someone's knee replacement "GIVING OUT" on them?!? and/or coming apart??

I actually have TWO Aunts who are comparing notes regarding their knee replacements. They want to know if anyone here has any experience of their knee replacement "giving out" and/or coming apart. Aunt A, who I have mentioned before here, swears that she fell down her flight of stairs because her knee "gave out". She says when her butt hit the top stair, her leg BENT FORWARD and her TOES of her right foot were by her mouth. She says that she pushed her leg back down as she continued to slide down her steps. By the time she hit the bottom step, she had broken her leg (her femur) approx 3 inches above her knee replacement. (This was why I had to put her in the hospital for a few days.) Aunt B says her knee "gave out" on her one night when she and her husband went out dancing.

COMMENTS?!? FEEDBACK?!? HOW common is stuff like this? Has my new knee become like a battery?: It is going to eventually "give out" too? And when it does, I'll have to slap in a new one??? (Now I am scared again...)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If the quads are weak then yes it can feel like the knee has given way. But its not the implant that gives way.
 
I am feeling better and better every day. I am doing stairs fairly well, up and down (while repeating BoneSmarties' mantra: Good goes to heaven; Bad goes to h*ll...)

The ONLY thing I am nervous about is going back to my part-time Cook job. My job as Legal Administrative Assistant is something I can do all day - I can type all day - but I am sitting. On my job as Cook, I have to stand in one place all day - I don't know if i can do it. But my Cook job is where my family gets our insurance. Oooooh, I don't know what to do.....

​
 
Hi NuNe4Me.

I can see how cooking would be a problem. Even with a good sponge mat in my home kitchen to stand on I could not do it for more than half an hour. Is it possible to get healthcare coverage under Obama Care's new insurance website? There it does not matter where you work and cost is based on your ability to pay. Preexisting conditions are also covered. You could even try your state's website. I am in NY and you have to go thru New York state's website even for the Obama Care. If this is not an option is it possible to cook while sitting on a stool? Some members have mentioned rolling stools they have purchased from a store such as sam's club. Good luck with your decision. Remember your health is the most important thing.
 
:heehee: glad you like the little stairs saying. funny that I have to concentrate so hard to do stairs, and walking for that matter, right. I saw in an earlier post that your TKR has been nothing like what you expected. Mine hasn't etiher. I wasn't properly prepared and didn't have the right information going in. I also, for some ridiculous reason, didn't think recovery was going to be so hard, long or painful (I'm not very smart sometimes). I've been whiny and feeling sorry for myself a lot since I've had it done but although it's hard to believe in the 1st month, things DO and WILL get better, but it's hard work and requires a lot of patience. Sounds like you're doing well though, so keep it up! :)

My surgical leg quad was a bit of a slacker in deciding to wake up and do some work, so it's still week. I've had the sensation of my knee giving out, but I know that's not true. It's my quad that is weak and is it gets stronger, so will my ability to do steps, walk like a 'normal' human being again, and many other things.

I didn't realize that your cook job was where your benefits were hung. Boo. When do they expect you back? Any way to do a gradual return to work? I highly doubt that they want you hurting yourself on the job, so maybe they'll be able to accommodate either a modified or gradual return to work schedule/duties?

As we've both just hit the 6 weeks mark, hopefully you're feeling a bit better as well, but please still try to take it easy. And yes, as Jozilla suggested, the Healthcare Marketplace, although it has gotten a tremendously bad rap, isn't all that bad and you should at least go on and see what your options are and if you're eligible for some sort of subsidy. Couldn't hurt, right?
 
I believe you select which options you want. I do know it is now a requirement for anyone having children under 18 - if I remember correctly. There is someone on this site however that knows a great deal about insurance and I will tag her for you @Knitter4444. Hope this is helpful!
 
OK, Dear BoneSmarties: I need help. Has anyone on here had problems with HIVES?!? My rtkr was 2013, Dec 17 and I am STILL having problems with hives.

I have a lot of hayfever issues, but usually in the winter, I can completely go off the antihistimines and give my kidneys/liver a break - per doctor directive. But the only thing that I can find that makes the hives around my knee to go away is Zyrtec D. It is true that I don't have to take it every day - about once every two days - but this time of year, I shouldn't have to take it at all. I am also occasionally using hydrocortisone cream. But, THE HIVES ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!

At first, my family joked that I was allergic to my knee replacement - but I don't think this is funny anymore.

Before the surgery, I wanted to do testing to make sure I wasn't allergic to my knee replacement. My OS talked me out of it and said he would use the more expensive titanium knee replacement rather than the cheaper nickel knee replacement joint that he usually uses. I felt hurried - I was in SO much pain, plus my husband was/is concerned that he is going to lose his job and thus our health insurance, so I kind of felt "hurried" by both my OS and my husband. So I went without the knee replacement allergy test. I think I may be paying the price for it now.

I talked to my regular/main doctor about this yesterday, but he wasn't helpful at all. He just wrote it down in my records.

I HATE ITCHY HIVES!!!!!! =(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a medical professional . My background is child care for over 30 years .
So I have no answers for you . Though I do feel terrible you have been dealing with this.
I have to wonder how many people are tested for a possible allergic reaction to their replacement prior to the surgery.
I was not . I do know years ago I had an allergic reaction to something that gave me a rash , my Dr at that time said it was like a reaction that transplant patients get when they are rejecting . I am not implying that is what you have going on .
I do know rashes can drive people almost crazy . One of my friends on here had the itching . I happened to get it near my near an Ezcema type rash.sorry TMI .
Is yours only near your replacement ? Perhaps post a picture on here as there as so many knowledgeable individuals on here that may offer help for you .
 
Yes, it is all around my incision - about three inches all around my incision. =(

I am TRYING to tell myself that I don't need to scratch (because scratching will just make it worse). Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your OS has seen the rash ?
Asking , because of the location .
Wonder if it is internal stitches ?
I had trouble with them .
Please ask @JosephineA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom