Guest viewing is limited

TKR Annie's new knee recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breathing is so important when you can't do it. I can breathe today!!! =)

Watch out for The Flu Bug - the first four days are tough.

I am so happy the hives are gone!!! =)

So.....I am negotiating a phase-in return to work with the grocery store. I am bouncing back and forth like a ping-pong ball between Doc and employer. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never should have looked at that YouTube video. WHAT was I thinking?!?!? Now I can't get it out of my head.

Knee is doing pretty good. I did a few local in-town errands (Post Office, etc.) - my knee protested whenever I hit a bump in the road. I still feel like I have a metal toolbox in my right knee - but I am getting used to it, I guess. It isn't as noisy now as it was in the beginning.

I'm absolutely amazed at how well I can do steps now (up) - it has been years. Going down is slower, but still better than before surgery.

Docs put me on Lyrica for my Neuropathy. Man, that stuff makes me sleepy! I take it right before I go to bed.

Docs want me to go in for another MRI. Is that going to be OK?!? From what I have read, I guess it will be. (???) Docs keep testing me every (approx) five years for Multiple Sclerosis.

Hang in there! It gets better!
 
Hi Annie,
Funnily enough I asked a radiologist only this week what would happen if I needed a MRI. She said most replacement joints are MRI friendly these days, but they always test first, and if there is a problem you get a CAT instead.
Good news on your walking around, and doing stairs, you sound as if everything is going really well, I'm very pleased for you.
Lyn xx
 
My new "bionic" knee is feeling better and better every day. I am simply amazed - I didn't realize how much it was hurting me before the surgery.

Started back to work, using BoneSmarties' concept of "Phased-In", which, by the way, both my OS and employer love. After a couple of hours back at the old work site, which is FILLED with drama, which is THE main reason I hate it so much - I began to relax because I realized my new "bionic" knee was doing okay - I can do this! =)

Hang in there BS peeps (people). Listen to the BS Experts! There IS light at the end of the tunnel! =)

Annie
 
Great thread ! Just read the whole thing . Hope your aunt is doing well. Its too bad you found bonesmart after your surgery but than again maybe it is not . Some stories can scare the bejesus out of you . I have a physical job as well as a butcher for a Costco in the San Francisco Bay Area I dont have to return till week 12 an im at week 4 now . But alot of the job is dealing with the drama . I always say my job is more mental than physical. You need aligator skin to work at some places. Did you ever find out what exactly caused those hives ? Well keep up the great work , hope you get the job thing figured out . Best wishes
 
Thanks for asking icep707.

The only thing we can figure out - and this is simply theory - is that my body was rejecting my new knee - which was the exact thing that I was terrified might happen.

My OS used the titanium joint replacement, rather than the nickel joint replacement. And I took extra doses of antihistimines for months. I used "self-hypnosis" (telling myself over and over: I don't have time for hives. My body IS going to accept my new knee. I AM going to be okay. I don't have the luxury to get sick.). Gradually I needed the antihistimines less and less. Gradually everything got better. Then, all of a sudden, one day the hives were gone! =) So, what caused the hives? We don't exactly know.

I have Celiac Disease - which is something I don't talk about very much here on BS because I don't want the focus of this site to get distracted. I believe that it is very important to help others get through the traumatic beginning stages of recovery from this knee surgery. My body has turned against me since I have developed Celiac Disease - which is an autoimmune disease. I am allergic to more and more things as I get older - the list gets longer and longer.

I am not the only one on this site that has a major health condition besides getting a tkr. But, I am trying to keep the focus off me, and instead trying to help those that are terrified in the beginning stages of tkr recovery. I know how scared I was - I was there - Josephine saved me.

I am hoping, by posting my stages, that I can encourage others. There IS light at the end of the tunnel. Keep The Faith.
 
Yes, sharing our own experiences with the tkr process is all part of helping each other.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom