Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hiya newbie here.

Hi Annie,
Someone once said that in Britain we don't have a climate just lots of weather and sometimes all the seasons in one day. This is particularly true I think for April you just don't know what to wear, all you can be certain of is that you'll get it wrong!
Have a good visit to "yer mam".

Charlie x
 
Crickey Ann, snow. Mind you we had a good 3 inches here the week before last and good old Carol Kirkwood on BBC Breakfast said the other day that it's more to be expected here in April than at Christmas - news to me but there you go! Well I'm not aching too much yet but later might well be a different story!
We are currently growing a magnificent display of weeds but should have them cleared by the end of the week if hubby applies himself while I'm at work! Then it will be new potatoes, runner and broad beans, pumpkins, squashes, peas, sweet corn, and leeks. We also have a big patch of rhubarb, raspberries, black, red and white currants and gooseberries. Yummy!
Take care Ann
Xxx
 
Had to laugh at your 'magnificent display of weeds' Anne. I'm sure i will all look fab once you get clearing done then planting. I was surprised to see pumpkins in your list, is that quite a common thing to grow here? That's a great assortment of veg you are gong to have there. You will have a lot of lovely fresh produce to choose from, it sounds so nice and all that fruit..yes very yummy indeed.

A few years ago we grew carrots and spring onions in pots in the garden and it was fantastic just popping out to pick some when needed. I was amazed at how long they lasted and they tasted so nice.

Happy planting

Ann.x.
 
Well my first trip out into the wide world was a great success. Managed getting into the car okay with a little help from hubby to swing my legs in, I still cant move my operated leg myself yet. Much better experience than when I first came home from the hospital which quite frankly knacked.:rolleyespink:

Got out of the car by myself using my good leg to manoeuvre my bad one out of the car and walked just fine into the care home.....on two crutches of course!

What a joy to see my Mams face light up when she seen me. She got such a surprise as she didn't expect to see me for a while yet. Managed to get comfy on her bed even though it was a bit high and I did have to stand up after about 15 mins as my hip started stinging but it was okay.

Even managed to give her a kiss (had to bend down as she's in a wheelchair...MS) using the bad leg stretched out behind me I was happy:biggrin:

Even easier getting in and out of the car coming home once I had done it once.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit MIL up the street...not far at all and I'm going to walk.

Happy days
 
SIL pointed out to me today that when I was standing I was bending my operated legs knee. Guess that comes with lifetime of doing that because of my LLD. That's a habit I'm going to have to work hard to break.
 
Good for you, Ann. Sure your mom was so happy to see you. All the "firsts" can cause a little anxiety and then the next time it gets easier and easier each time after. Our little milestones that feel like miracles.
 
Life's simple pleasures are the best. Sounds like it was a good time - good for you. Good luck with your walk. -Cathy
 
I just walked across the road to my neighbours yesterday as when I got down my garden path my leg felt quite weak so I decided not to go far.

Today I ventured further up the street to my mother in laws, about 200 yards each way and it was fine.

I do have a problem having to walk soooo slow. I felt really self conscious actually and just wanted to flip my leg back and hop which would have been a lot quicker but I resisted.:rolleyespink:. I need to have a word with myself about that, it's just something I have to get on with I know.

So all in all a good day. No pain still just a little stiffness in the knee. Next Monday for my check up. I'm looking forward to seeing my X Ray and asking all my question.
 
Hi Annie,

I still bend the op leg 'cos of the LLD ...SO WHAT!! I don't think I'll ever do anything different ....AM I BOVVERED??
Just keep working at it ... be sensible and at the same time patient ... not much to ask then?

Love
Charlie xx
 
SIL pointed out to me today that when I was standing I was bending my operated legs knee. Guess that comes with lifetime of doing that because of my LLD. That's a habit I'm going to have to work hard to break.

Hi Ann,

As you've heard from Charlie, having a little bend in the knee is pretty standard as your body adjusts to the new changes in your LLD after surgery. I've experienced it as well.

It sounds like you are doing really well from your last few messages!! :thumb:

If you think your leg might get a bit weak on your walk you could take your walking stick along with you and use it towards the end if you need to. I'm sure it feels like you are moving slowly when you are out and about. Take your time and encourage your friends/family to slow down and walk with you. Your pace will increase in time as you continue to heal and get used to your new hip.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Good to see it's normal to be bending my knee and possibly will continue to be so, least I am used to it so ya right Charlie, it's no biggie.x.

Cardie, i had both my crutches with me when I went out, I'm so not ready to give up even one yet but my operated leg is getting stronger. Just hope at my check up I'm not asked to try and put all of my weight on that leg like some people have been asked to do :skeptical:.
 
I've been trying the standing side abductor exercises today. I know not to put my foot down in between but the problem I have is because of my LLD, I cant bring the leg back fully. I can if I raise my good leg i.e. go on tip toe but I'm wondering if this is no a good thing to do. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Hi Ann,

As a person with LLD issues, I'd suggest for now on the standing abductor that you keep your good foot firmly on the ground and go with what range of motion you can until your op-leg touches the ground. If you go up on the ball of your good foot you may end up swaying your pelvis around some and that might make your back fussy and once your pelvis is included in that exercise it no longer works your abductors... When you go back for your OS visit ask how he'd suggest you modify that exercise to work with your LLD.

I am thinking one modification would be to stand on a little something that will lift you up higher so that your op-leg can clear the ground and come back to the mid-line. But, you want to stand on something that is large enough and stable enough that you aren't going to lose your balance or have a slip/tip over -- right!!

If your OS wants you to give a try out on the standing on your op-leg and you feel up to trying it ask to hold his hands -- or your trusted hubby for stability and control. If you don't want to do it yet, you don't have to... :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thankyou Cardie you always give sound advice and I really appreciate it.x.

It was the pelvic issue that I was concerned about if I lifted my good leg. The fantastic thing about reading other peoples stories is that I have learnt so so much and feel very well informed now. I wouldn't have gave my pelvis a thought otherwise. I will try to put something under my good leg to give me a lift as you suggested.

Thanks

Ann
 
Oh I nearly forgot my little update. I managed with one crutch today. Just round the house and most of the time I am still using two but it was nice to have a free hand some of the time.

I bent down today to lift the toilet seat to put my raised one on and realised I automatically put my operated leg out straight behind me. Isn't it great when things come naturally to us, lessons the chances of doing any damage. It's so easy to do things without thinking, the wrong thing, I have bent over a bit too far to stroke my dogs when sitting in my chair and then panicked but it's good to know that we do get the hang of it eventually.
 
One stick!! that's a great milestone Annie! :thumb:
I second the advice from Cardie re the op leg standing! I always made sure there was a worktop or sometime to grab on to and started very very slowly.

Charlie
ps I've left you a message on my thread re Rowing Machines which I know you're interested in!!:th_heehee:
 
Thanks Charlie.x. I am quite proud of myself.

Already replied on your thread:snork:
 
Ann,



So happy for you that you are starting to use 1 crutch, another milestone. Before you know it you will have a day when you don't even think about your hip...it does come. Already you are starting to do things without thinking about them and it is very freeing. Keep up the great work!
 
How about if you try that standing leg lift while standing on something with your good leg? That would give you a little extra clearance for the THR leg. You could stand on a phone book (if such things still exist) or you could stand sideways on a step, if you have any in your home. It's best to get the full range of motion in that leg lift, if you possibly can.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom