THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardie, thanks for that and the picture, it's good to be reminded to not to just lift that leg up and down...something I am apt to do on occasion....but to concentrate on your muscles and other areas. I do forget to tense my muscles when exercising sometimes and I always forget to tighten my tummy and believe me, it could do with a lot of tightening that tummy of mine.lol.

I'm going to give that one a whirl too.x.
 
For the standing version, lift the leg to the front, keeping the leg externally rotated.

Strengthening your quadriceps probably won't help. It will just cause more compensation by the wrong muscles. Are you able to do standing lunges? That might help more than leg lifts at this point.
 
Good evening Alex, how are you?

Bit of a bummer that.lol, I thought I had it sussed, guess I am not as clever as I thought I was in the exercise dept.haha.

Okay, the lunges, I have a problem with those as my heel lifts off the ground as I go forward, it is very very tight at the front of my ankle where my leg meets my foot, had this problem since surgery and I do try but it hasn't improved.
 
The heel of the back leg should be lifted through the entire lunge. The angle of the front ankle shouldn't change much throughout the lunge. If it's increasing as you move into the lunge, you are stressing your knee. Don't do that! You already have this hip to deal with.

Also, the motion of the lunge isn't foward. It's down. Your torso should remain centered between your legs through the entire lunge. Be sure that your feet are in the proper position. It sounds like you may have them too close together.
 
Thanks Alex, bit of confusion there on my part because whilst doing PT the PT had me lean with hands on wall and bend operated knee towards the wall trying to keep my foot flat on the ground to try to stretch the achilles tendon. I got mixed up with that! I had my footballer son show me how to do lunges last night and I have got it now. Been practising this morning in the mirror to make sure I am doing it properly :)

I also googled patella exercises last night and found this knee dance video to strengthen the knee muscles. When doing it I could really see the difference between the two knees so I am going to do those too now....I have quite a list.lol.
 
Happy Easter Ann! How are those lunges coming? I thought of you yesterday when someone I was walking with asked if I was feeling OK. I replied that I was fine, but why did she ask? She said I was walking stiffly. I told her I'd had my hip replaced, which might explain it, but she said no, that wasn't it. I just looked like I was walking stiffly with my hands at my sides! She didn't mean my gait looked off. But her comment showed me that I have been so busy concentrating on the walnut, the gut suck-in, the boob stick out and keeping my pelvis even that I've forgotten to move my arms. I guess I've been walking like a little tin soldier! So, now I have to add relax upper body and swing arms to the list. Bloomin' heck this is hard to remember! Hope you got chocs.
 
Got to get you girls Nordic Walking.. Full body workout, such a natural way of walking, and one gets to enjoy natures wonders..

Why else are the orthopedic surgeons around the world now taking up NW...........
 
Vicki, Happy Easter to you too, yes I got chocs, Lovely Hubster got me lots of different kinds, (although I did tell him not to get me anything) all my faves, I prefer that to one big box or egg. Currently working my way through them...got to..I was planning on starting my healthy eating plan to get rid of my 'muffin top' in readiness for my hols so I am on a mission to eat them all quickly.lol

Hve posted on your thread about the arm swinging walking technique, I do do it on my walks.

The lunges are going very well thanks although Hubby suggested I tried, when I go down to get the operated leg quite straight so knee is almost touching the floor and do some little bounces....bad idea as my good knee protested a lot with a sharp pain which nearly had me on the floor. Not taking his suggestions on board any more... He is barred from suggestions!!

I have a great new app on my phone...walk my dog, although you don't have to have a dog to use it. It calculates your route via GPS, tells you how far you have worked, the incline and how many calories you have burnt off. I didn't realise my usual route was two miles, thought it was less so that was good but can you believe that two mile walk only burns off about 115 calories, very disappointing, not even a small bar of chocolate gone for all that walking.lol. I think it will encourage me to walk further so that's a good thing.
 
Poppet, it's good to see you :) I agree it would be good to get into the Nordic walking. Last year I emailed two local peeps who were advertised as doing the taster sessions but they didn't get back to me, perhaps they only had a limited number to give away, I don't know. I must look to see if they are doing it this year now that the weather is picking up.
 
Anniepops I so hear you on the knee. Sadly lunges and squats are out for me, starts the knee off again. My muffin top seems to be permanent....one thing at a time. Two mile walks are fantastic, you are my role model!
 
Oh yes Vicki, definitely no lunges or squats for you, need to take care of that knee of yours. I have always had a muffin top so should be used to it by now but at the minute it is really growing at an alarming rate, I'm blaming mothers day then easter..... I can't be rude and not eat the chocs Hubby and kids have bought me!!!

Thankyou for the kind words.xxx
 
Anniepops Watch those lunges - I've been told that "bouncing" does more harm than good, Hubby gets a gold star for choccy but not for that! Vida having to think about heel/toe, keeping pelvis level and not leaning forwards (nose out one way, backside the other!) when I walk it is a wonder that I get anywhere! Tomorrow I'll be thinking about arms as well, do I swing them? Don't know. Poppet I had been wondering about Nordic Walking, would it aggravate my shoulder like being on crutches did? Or was that because of weight going on it? I just feel I need to do something outdoors when it finally stops snowing here - more forecast for tonight but getting milder next week so I'm hoping to get out more.
Regards to all
Anne
 
Ooooh never thought of lunges. Are they safe for me.... five weeks .... I've been walking up the hill to me mums. Not used crutches for about 2 weeks. So busy concentrating on looking normal... I probably look like a mad woman.
Aud
 
Aud, I'd give it another week or two and then start small. In the meantime, try stretching your hip flexors on the THR side. See how that feels and report back.
 
Ta Alex... I'll try that. I'm on my phone and don't know how to tag people. Lol
 
Nannyannie how are you doing? Yes, I think those bouncy lunges are definitely not a good thing, Hubby was only trying to help me along I suppose but it was not a good move on my part that's for sure. There are certainly a lot of things to think about when we are walking along, as we have said before, it is not possible to hold a conversation and walk at the same time.lol. I swing opposite arm to leg when I am striding along with kind of a swinging action. You soon get into the swing of it.haha. It will be interesting to see what Poppet has to say about the walking poles affecting your shoulder. It would be great if you could get into that. The were groups offering free taster sessions last year but as I said before, I didn't have much luck with getting a reply from the couple I emailed but perhaps that was because it was nearing an end as it was only on for a couple of months I think. I will have a look again and see if theyare doing it this year.

I hope the weather has improved for you today like it has up here. Still bitter tonight but I have managed to get three lines of washing dry today.....sad I know but I love to see my washing blowing on the line, especially the whites :)
 
Anniepops I had to give up on hanging out my laundry decades go, cos the birds would fly over and decorate the sheets/clothing, and then I'd have to start all over again! Sigh. I can still smell that wonderful smell...
 
I have a great new app on my phone...walk my dog, although you don't have to have a dog to use it. It calculates your route via GPS, tells you how far you have worked, the incline and how many calories you have burnt off. I didn't realise my usual route was two miles...

Hi Ann,

I meant to comment on this earlier. Just wanted to say that regardless of the number of calories that your 2 miles uses at this point, it is fantastic that you are able to go out and walk for a 2 mile walk!!!

I used to wear a pedometer to measure how much I walked during the *entire* day and rarely got up to 2 miles. I no longer wear the gadget because it was too depressing for me.

Hope you've made your way through the chocolate and that your froggies and doggies are all doing well :heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom