Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anniepops, How are you doing? I know that you are in Fall. I hope the weather is treating you right. Please take care my friend. Tashia
 
Ok, sorry about the wacky Wonder Woman image...

Do you recommend this stretch for the psoas alexthecat

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


Anniepops do you have tight hip flexors or a shortened psoas on your THR side? I don't think I've heard you complain of having a shorter stride, in the flexing part of your gait (when your THR leg is behind you).

Take care,
Cardie
 
Crikey Cardie, I haven't got a clue if I have a shortened psoas but I don't think so having just had a little look at some info on it. I will give that exercise a go though, you know I am always up for anything new :) but I am still struggling to get that left knee up towards my chest. I do it first thing before I get out of bed to try and ease my back but I can hardly move it towards my chest at all. Later on in the day as I loosen up it improves but not fantastically.

I loved your crazy wonder woman pic, it gave me a right giggle :heehee: .x. Vicki, Cardie has exposed you, what a hoot.x.



Hi Fran Maeve, have just read your recovery thread and I am pleased to hear you have your meds sorted out now.Onwards and upwards.x.

Tashia,tashia it is supposed to be spring season but we had snow again today after a couple of days of sunshine, we just aren't having much luck with the weather at the moment. Must pop over to your thread to see how you are doing.x.
 
Criminy... until now, I didn't even know I had a psoas. I thought it might be rude, so I had to look it up. Now I know it is the key to my structural stability. I'm all over structural stability so I tried that stretch Cardie C Mac...... it wasn't too uncomfortable even for a stiff oldy like me. alexthecat Sorry about the 'noble sock' analogy, I sometimes forget that you are way more advanced than most of our little born-with-it group. Putting on the left sock, unaided, even with a slight nonchalance, still seems flippin' miraculous to me. Every new little discovery is a complete and utter thrill. Having said that I had a bad experience in a shoe shop the other day and had to get madame, the owner, to pull one off for me. She seemed tres put out. I hope you are feeling a little better today. Anniepops Pso, as anything new been happening with you lately?
 
Hi Vicki, well that shoe shop woman wasn't very nice was she, what a horror turning her nose up at being asked to help with the shoes, did your feet smell or something.lol.

I had to look up psoas too Vicki, I have read about it on BS but haven't really looked into it or if I have I have forgotten. Isn't it amazing the body parts we were not even aware of pre surgery. We are so knowledgeable theses days.haha.

Nowt exiting been happening lately. Still going for my walks every day and still doing the sexy strut when there is nobody else around:heehee: I have applied to do voluntary work with a local charity in the shop, just waiting to hear if they want me. That will be interesting to see if I can manage to do a sort of job and not be all achey afterwards. I am looking forward to it.
 
I should have pointed out that it was a fancy leather boot and I would never have got it off without stomping down the back of the heel with the other foot, which is how I do it at home when no-one`s looking. So (and by the way, my feet smell like fragrant roses) she had to to get down on the floor and yank it off. I enjoyed her discomfort. In the end I explained that I had a new hip so had to endure the usual claptrap like: `You look too young to have had that done` and..or `I would never have guessed it to look at you.`Gag.

Well done on the volunteer thing. I had to give it up a couple of years ago. I was part of a volunteer home care team that supported people living with cancer and HIV.AIDS who wanted to stay out of hospital. In the end I just couldn`t lift to do the personal care or cleaning required. By then I couldn`t even clean my own house, so it seemed silly to struggle to clean other peoples. I hope to go back to it soon, when lifting is a bit safer, as it is way more satisfying than my regular job. As my hip started to decline, I volunteered to record text books for the blind up at the local university. That was fun, even though there was a little bit of technology to learn. At first I got to read some nice literature and psychology texts, which I looked forward to each week. Then they got me reading physics and math textbooks. Seeing as how I didn`t pass either subject at grammar school and don`t understand all the symbols, let alone know how to say them, it was horribly stressful. If they promise to keep me on legible texts, I`ll probably go back to it in September. Don`t think I could stand long enough for a shift in a shop. Bet you could stretch your psoas though!
 
Vida my hat is off to you for reading for the blind. I know somebody who loves you! (well, you know, not necessarily you personally, but all those who do what you do). Certainly they should give you something you know how to pronounce LOL
 
zauberflöte Chris, I don't mean to preen, I think most people don't know it's needed. Blind students need textbooks too and lots of people volunteer to do it. But thanks. I always wonder how readers feel when they suddenly hear this British/Canadian voice... sort of a cross between the queen and Anne Murray.... struggling with math equations.
 
C Mac I would recommend that you approach that stretch with some caution. Listen to your back and let it dictate whether that stretch is right for you.

Anniepops I had a few minutes free at the gym this evening, so I hopped on the "Balance Hedgehog". I'd never tried it before. I just used the Bosu. I like the little hedgehog though. I can definitely see how it would benefit your balance and coordination. Did you end up buying one?
 
Pso, as anything new been happening with you lately?

:rotfl: Psoas -- get it.... good one Vida

Now, that we are all a bit further out from surgery I'd like to suggest that unless you like the wide-eye stare when you reveal that you've had a hip replaced, that you just tap at your leg and mention that you've had some surgery. It simplifies things tremendously....

Maybe for us CDH folks the professionals don't mention the psoas and just assume that it is short on one side because we have the LLD. I find it's a difficult muscle to stretch and lying on that foam roller was ok - but I'm not sure it was stretching my psoas much. This one does a little better for me and I can do it in the grocery store and various times throughout the day without added equipment.

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


This looks like it would do it, but I haven't been able to do a back bend since I was a kid -- however, maybe over the stability ball alexthecat ???

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


Oh and I didn't mean to make people worry about their psoas, just wanted to compare notes!:)

Take care,
Cardie
 
What is psoas? Both mine were chd... but the length changed daily. Lol
 
I would not recommend the backbend as a psoas stretch. There are many stretches, which we've discussed previously, that are much safer.
 
Vicki, I imagine you must have a very nice voice to be chosen to do the books for the blind, what a worthwhile thing to do. I don't think I would be accepted due to my 'Geordie' twang. I could probably talk correctly for a little while but then lapse into geordiness at some point. Plus I have a tendency to mispronounce words much to the amusement of my Hubby.

Alex, the balance hedgehog is certainly tasking but worthwhile. I haven't got one yet only because I am too tight to pay £13 for one online.lol. For what is, a bit of rubber and a very small one at that, it is not cheap. I am waiting until I go into town and have a look around the sports shops first.

Cardie, I tried that stretch, the standing one but didn't feel a pull anywhere. Do you stand in the shop and lift your arm up like that? Someone might think you are about to whack them one when you raise your arm.lol.

No way am I even trying the backbend, I don't think I could do it anyway but I know for certain I would go all loopy putting my head back like that. I would to try a handstand, loopyness would be a problem there too though, I am too scared to try even though I could do it when a kid and even get down to the crab position...but that was many many moons ago.
 
Lol ditto Aud

Here you go


The psoas major is a long fusiform muscle located on the side of the lumbar region of the vertebral column and brim of the lesser pelvis. It joins the iliacus muscle to form the iliopsoas.
 
I'm afraid that I know just as much after that definition as I did before I saw it. What's really needed for us anatomically challenged is a picture.
 
C Mac Cardie I am a bit worried that if I start doing that stuff in line at the grocery store a nice Canadian ambulance crew would be called and gently lead me away to a psych unit, especially if I tried to explain: "I'm only stretching my psoas." And I fear the back bend is probably not on the cards for me, Anniepops or Audball. Of course they are free to set me straight - they may be way more bendy than I imagine. Do I take it that you can do it? I am sure alexthecat can.

Now I'm off for a walk, only 5,500 more steps to register on my pedometer before nightfall. And this is only my first day. This could become a problem.
 
Whether I can do a backbend and whether I should are two different questions. A PT friend calls poses like that her ticket to permanent job security. It's really not an appropriate move for most people, especially for those of us who are... ahem.... beyond a certain age.

Ann, that's the advantage of working at a health club. I get free access to cool fitness toys. Agreed that they are quite overpriced for what they are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom